Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free-range Parenting

4 posters

Go down

Free-range Parenting Empty Free-range Parenting

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Two days after the story of their children’s unsupervised walk home from a park became the latest flash point in an ongoing cultural debate about what constitutes responsible parenting, Danielle and Alexander Meitiv were still explaining their “old-fashioned” methods of child-rearing.

They eat dinner with their children. They enforce bedtimes, restrict screen times and assign chores. They go to synagogue. More controversially, they let their 10-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter venture out together to walk or play without adults.

“How have we gotten so crazy that what was just a normal childhood a generation ago is considered radical?” Danielle Meitiv asked in the living room of her Silver Spring home as yet another news crew dropped by to question the couple.

She and her husband are facing an investigation for neglect, they say, after allowing their children to walk together unaccompanied from a Silver Spring park along busy Georgia Avenue toward home, a mile south.

They made it halfway before police picked the children up, alerted after someone called.

The parents’ tale of being investigated by Montgomery County Child Protective Services for allowing a walk from the park has lit up social networks and set off a national conversation about parenting styles, children’s safety and government overreach. It has pointed up seeming contradictions in law and expectations. Why, many parents asked, are mile-long walks permitted on school days if they are a problem on a Saturday afternoon?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/montgomery-county-neglect-inquiry-shines-spotlight-on-free-range-parenting/2015/01/17/352d4b30-9d99-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html?hpid=z4

This has been the talk of the town over the past few days debated even on sports talk radio shows.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Free-range Parenting Empty Re: Free-range Parenting

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:17 pm

At the center of the whirl are the Meitivs, believers in “free-range” parenting, with its ideas that children learn to be self-reliant by progressively testing limits, making choices and roaming the world without hovering adults. Danielle Meitiv works as a climate-science consultant and Alexander Meitiv is a physicist at the National Institutes of Health.

The idea of free-range kids has been around since 2008, when New York journalist Lenore Skenazy set off a firestorm with a piece titled “Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone” and developed a following for pushing back against what many saw as an overinvolved “helicopter parent” culture.

More than six years later, Skenazy is still pushing the conversation about giving children more freedom to experience the world. She says many parents are terrified by an outsized perception of danger, driven partly by a constant beat of repetitive crime news that makes horrific events seem much more common than they are.

Federal statistics show that the violent crime rate has fallen dramatically from its peak in 1991 and is about what it was in the late 1960s but lower than in the early 1970s, when many more mothers were at home and children roamed freer.

In the past, children stayed out for hours, slept in backyard tents and wandered their neighborhoods. “These are things we all did on our own, and now we don’t let our children do, and there is no real or rational reason except we’re fearful,” Skenazy said.

The Meitiv family’s difficulties have stirred passionate and conflicted responses from parents, and sparked some intense digital debates.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:44 pm

I notice that in India as well. As people get more comforts and exposed to media, they tend to be bombarded with sensational news - obviously kidnapping rape, killing, and other crimes. This has reduced people's confidence and add to that the comfort has allowed parents to chaperon their kids everywhere. The middle class kids dont go by bus or train anymore.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I notice that in India as well. As people get more comforts and exposed to media, they tend to be bombarded with sensational news - obviously kidnapping rape, killing, and other crimes.  This has reduced people's confidence and add to that the comfort has allowed parents to chaperon their kids everywhere. The middle class kids dont go by bus or train anymore.

Gated communities are the preferred choice for people with kids in urban India. Kids are not allowed outside the compound unless accompanied by a parent - no exceptions. I used to go to the store and get stuff when I was 8-9 years old. Now, I doubt kids even have the time to do such a thing as their lives are crammed with studies from 5 am to 10 pm.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 am

confuzzled dude wrote:At the center of the whirl are the Meitivs, believers in “free-range” parenting, with its ideas that children learn to be self-reliant by progressively testing limits, making choices and roaming the world without hovering adults. Danielle Meitiv works as a climate-science consultant and Alexander Meitiv is a physicist at the National Institutes of Health.

The idea of free-range kids has been around since 2008, when New York journalist Lenore Skenazy set off a firestorm with a piece titled “Why I Let My 9-Year-Old Ride the Subway Alone” and developed a following for pushing back against what many saw as an overinvolved “helicopter parent” culture.

More than six years later, Skenazy is still pushing the conversation about giving children more freedom to experience the world. She says many parents are terrified by an outsized perception of danger, driven partly by a constant beat of repetitive crime news that makes horrific events seem much more common than they are.

Federal statistics show that the violent crime rate has fallen dramatically from its peak in 1991 and is about what it was in the late 1960s but lower than in the early 1970s, when many more mothers were at home and children roamed freer.

In the past, children stayed out for hours, slept in backyard tents and wandered their neighborhoods. “These are things we all did on our own, and now we don’t let our children do, and there is no real or rational reason except we’re fearful,” Skenazy said.

The Meitiv family’s difficulties have stirred passionate and conflicted responses from parents, and sparked some intense digital debates.

If the US didn't have creeps who kidnap and imprison little children, then there wouldn't be so much controversy. There are risks you can take and there are some things you NEVER risk. Simple as that.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 am

if i had a little kid i'd like to implant a sophisticated little gps chip into its abdominal wall so i know where it is at all times. i would remove it after it turns 22. i think in the near future we can have access to stuff like this at an affordable price like maybe 5K to 12K including the cost of the procedure.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:40 am

pravalika nanda wrote:if i had a little kid i'd like to implant a sophisticated little gps chip into its abdominal wall so i know where it is at all times. i would remove it after it turns 22. i think in the near future we can have access to stuff like this at an affordable price like maybe 5K to 12K including the cost of the procedure.

It sure should be possible. The so called Childrens rights people will certainly oppose. If people can stick in different kind of devices and etc..inside their bodies (norplant, pacemakers), it should be easy to implant a watch cell-size device. They do it for endangered anumals - tigers and lions) routinely.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/16/i-let-my-9-year-old-ride-the-subway-alone-i-got-labeled-the-worlds-worst-mom/?hpid=z10

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down