Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

settling in

+8
southindian
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
confuzzled dude
nevada
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

settling in - Page 2 Empty Re: settling in

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Upps, is this move to boston a temporary one?

Now, that is classified.
I shouldn't have asked.

I will tell you on our next Coffee date on my next trip to the Delta Capital.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Upps, is this move to boston a temporary one?

Now, that is classified.
I shouldn't have asked.

I will tell you on our next Coffee date on my next trip to the Delta Capital.
..and when will that be? ooops! sorry i asked. That must be classified too. tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:28 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Ah yes! The Great Democrat bastion of Massachusetts!

What were you saying about the Lone Star State, Il Professore?

i never said i am happy with the local govt here in MA and i don't always vote for the dems especially for local and statewide office. god knows we could do with some political diversity in this state. i have in the past voted for GOP candidates here in MA.  but given a choice between a texas republican and a northeastern democrat, i'll vote for the democrat every time.   there is a gulf of difference between northeastern republicans and the vile creatures that inhabit the party in the south and increasingly in the midwest and indeed much of the mainstream of the GOP today. i mean folks like cruz, perry, palin, jindal, and ryan.  politicians like scott brown and charlie baker are far removed from these folks. if there were more scott browns and charlie bakers running for national office maybe more folks like me will consider voting for the GOP. the tragedy is that when the more reasonable romneys and jeb bushs run for national office they suddenly turn into pandering morons.   i listened to rubio on jon stewart's show a few weeks ago. he sounds almost sane.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Stupid righting nuts made northeast republicans a relic of history.  Party of Lincoln became a tent for racial morons. Party of Theodore Who enforced Sherman's anti trust law is now a puppet in billionaire families.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:46 pm

the woman who runs the MBTA is a crony appointment from the previous admin. she held the same job she holds now in boston in atlanta, and was booted out by the folks there. our previous governor promptly hired her and gave her the reins. we need some new thinking about public transportation in this city and better upper management. it's an embarrassment that a city like ours comes to a standstill when bad weather hits. granted this is historic, but it is still no excuse.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:56 pm

http://grabberwocky.com/winter-ahole-of-all-seasons-pt1/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:06 pm

meanwhile in norway:
http://www.jernbaneverket.no/en/startpage1/News/Winning-the-fight-against-snow/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:28 pm

btw, it's happening this time in boston, but this is bound to be repeated elsewhere in the country. when our public infrastructure is so weak and crumbling, we are going to take it in the ass every time we face a crisis. in addition to good leadership we need MASSIVE investments in rebuilding and updating public infrastructure if we are truly going to be competitive with newer and shinier economies. our public transportation is non-existent in most cities. our roads, bridges, and airports are a joke, and one-half of our politicians don't have any ideas for prosperity beyond cutting taxes and making government smaller. as if that alone is going to solve everything.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:btw, it's happening this time in boston, but this is bound to be repeated elsewhere in the country. when our public infrastructure is so weak and crumbling, we are going to take it in the ass every time we face a crisis.  in addition to good leadership we need MASSIVE investments in rebuilding and updating public infrastructure if we are truly going to be competitive with newer and shinier economies. our public transportation is non-existent in most cities. our roads, bridges, and airports are a joke, and one-half of our politicians don't have any ideas for prosperity beyond cutting taxes and making government smaller. as if that alone is going to solve everything.

One city I expected to be there is missing:
http://jalopnik.com/these-ten-cities-have-the-best-public-transit-in-the-wo-1610824583
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:41 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:btw, it's happening this time in boston, but this is bound to be repeated elsewhere in the country. when our public infrastructure is so weak and crumbling, we are going to take it in the ass every time we face a crisis.  in addition to good leadership we need MASSIVE investments in rebuilding and updating public infrastructure if we are truly going to be competitive with newer and shinier economies. our public transportation is non-existent in most cities. our roads, bridges, and airports are a joke, and one-half of our politicians don't have any ideas for prosperity beyond cutting taxes and making government smaller. as if that alone is going to solve everything.

One city I expected to be there is missing:
http://jalopnik.com/these-ten-cities-have-the-best-public-transit-in-the-wo-1610824583

DC or hong kong? been to all but two cities on that list and i mostly agree.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Another list:
http://www.travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/10-best-metro-systems-746919
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 pm

boris johnson checks out the mbta (for shame!):
http://www.boston.com/news/local/2015/02/09/the-mayor-london-waited-way-too-long-for-the-redline-this-morning/GEDGaDaVCW4dR6T0eNVO4H/story.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:56 pm

getting f-ed again. maybe i should move to alaska. it's warmer and not as snowy this time of the year i hear.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:05 pm

What! Move from New England?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:06 pm

trying to lead a normal life, going to work, returning home, going to a takeout place or the grocery store has become quite a challenge. tip -- when you have the winter from hell, don't listen to waze. just stick to the f-ing freeway even if it's a parking lot that's never going to move. it's that or follow waze and get stuck in crazy itty-bitty unplowed back roads that are already narrow like a supermodel's waist, and have become even narrower with snowbanks piled on both sides. then put impatient and always angry boston drivers honking at each other going both ways. fuck this. i am getting drunk and going to sleep. wake me up when the winter's over. that's my plan.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Yes, you should  hibernate.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:34 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:trying to lead a normal life, going to work, returning home, going to a takeout place or the grocery store has become quite a challenge. tip -- when you have the winter from hell, don't listen to waze. just stick to the f-ing freeway even if it's a parking lot that's never going to move. it's that or follow waze and get stuck in crazy itty-bitty unplowed back roads that are already narrow like a supermodel's waist, and have become even narrower with snowbanks piled on both sides. then put impatient and always angry boston drivers honking at each other going both ways. fuck this. i am getting drunk and going to sleep. wake me up when the winter's over. that's my plan.

Settling in ????

It is easier to dig yourself out of an avalanche during a Mt.Hood hike.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:18 am

anticipating potential basement flooding when the white stuff finally melts, i went to the hardware store yesterday to get equipped with sump pumps etc. sold out already. amazon to the rescue. never had this problem before, but why wait.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:30 am

if your previous homeowner did not have any sump-pump installed and during inspection there were no signs of flooding on the walls, chances are you don't need it, provided the house has weathered decent winter/rains. Must be a fairly elevated house level.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:50 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:anticipating potential basement flooding when the white stuff finally melts, i went to the hardware store yesterday to get equipped with sump pumps etc. sold out already. amazon to the rescue. never had this problem before, but why wait.

Wait...GET equipped ? How ? Unless your house has a perimeter drainage system and a sump pump installed you are staring at potential flooding. Some houses in Mass have it and many dont. People in the NE assume the homes with sump pumps are prone to flooding and avoid them (old school of thought). The ones that dont have give the owners a false sense of security - claiming their homes are not prone to flooding and hence they were not put in. 2 of my neighbors dont have sump pump and you should listen to their brilliant argument.... and I was chuckling....and told them they are always welcome to stay in our basement if their roof or basement get into trouble....(their hotwater heater, dryer/washer, A/C-Heating systems etc are all in the basement.)

Of course, if the power goes off for 2 or 3 hours then all bets are off.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:54 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:anticipating potential basement flooding when the white stuff finally melts, i went to the hardware store yesterday to get equipped with sump pumps etc. sold out already. amazon to the rescue. never had this problem before, but why wait.

Wait...GET equipped ?  How ?  Unless your house has a perimeter drainage system and a sump pump installed you are staring at potential flooding.  Some houses in Mass have it and many dont.  People in the NE assume the homes with sump pumps are prone to flooding and avoid them (old school of thought). The ones that dont have give the owners a false sense of security - claiming their homes are not prone to flooding and hence they were not put in.  2 of my neighbors dont have sump pump and you should listen to their brilliant argument.... and I was chuckling....and told them they are always welcome to stay in our basement if their roof or basement get into trouble....(their hotwater heater, dryer/washer,  A/C-Heating systems etc are all in the basement.)

Of course, if the power goes off for 2 or 3 hours then all bets are off.

i don't have a permanently "installed" sump pump nor do i have a perimeter drainage system. the previous owners never had any issues, and neither have we in the few years we have lived in this house.  have you not heard of portable sump pumps? what do you think the professionals do when you call them in after your basement is flooded?

i am doing this out of an abundance of caution. spending $100 or so for this pump and the associated tubing and coupling devices, and being ready gives me peace of mind.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Sump pump is different and is installed BELOW the basement floor level.

Once it is flooded - in fact, once water seeps on to the basement with no sump pump, the damage is done. The repair/cleaning crew just cleans. You still fix any and all damage to structure and sheet rock, and any furniture. Out of your own pocket as your home insurance does not cover basement flooding or anything to do with water - unless you included it in your policy paying plenty extra premium.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Sump pump is different and is installed BELOW the basement floor level.

Once it is flooded - in fact, once water seeps on to the basement with no sump pump, the damage is done. The repair/cleaning crew just cleans. You still fix any and all damage to structure and sheet rock, and any furniture.  Out of your own pocket as your home insurance does not cover basement flooding or anything to do with water - unless you included it in your policy paying plenty extra premium.

i'm buying that pump he shows in that video, call it whatever you want. the place where trouble is likely to occur is in an unfinished part of the basement.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2