Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the delhi rapist says...

+12
Merlot Daruwala
truthbetold
garam_kuta
Propagandhi711
MaxEntropy_Man
swapna
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
FluteHolder
confuzzled dude
pravalika nanda
southindian
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

the delhi rapist says... - Page 3 Empty Re: the delhi rapist says...

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:29 pm

bw wrote:bbc4 aired the documentary earlier than planned. watched it. disturbing as expected.

Does this film include the interviews of Indian women who have similar views as those defense lawyers or the purpose of this documentary is to just underline the mindset of those criminals and their defense lawyers.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:30 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:The moral superiority, the judgements, the assumptions, the gossips and the associated harassment and the support for such behavior....haven't we seen all that on these forums? Same kind of attitude is expressed by the rapist and his lawers. I am surprised that the very same ppl who exhibited all those traits are bewildered by that. Such is the world!
Hmm.. that is precisely what the handles Kinnera, SaaMiYaar, Propagandhi711 and HA routinely indulge in.

rofl

Oh...Lord of Fairness and consistency.....

rofl

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:03 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:bbc4 aired the documentary earlier than planned. watched it. disturbing as expected.

Does this film include the interviews of Indian women who have similar views as those defense lawyers or the purpose of this documentary is to just underline the mindset of those criminals and their defense lawyers.

This author's views make sense.
There are many problems with the film, beginning with its uncomfortable packaging that brings forth perceptions of a civilising mission. The documentary puts the Delhi gangrape victim constantly above the savage other, brutal Indian men, who are poor, don't know English and are definitely not 'people like us'. In an interview, Udwin does say the problem is not about a few rotten apples but the film pivots on a certain kind of spoilt fruit that is necessarily third world, not something that happens in the civilised 'first world'.

Racism and white saviour bias aside, the movie title also frames the victim in the same paradigm that apologists such as Asaram do--they erase women's identities and place them in connection to a male member or collective.
It is unacceptable for both us and Udwin to imagine rapists as inhabiting our homes, offices and schools--working alongside us, are our family and our friends. The possibility of a rapist not being a undereducated man from the rural hinterlands but the IMF chief or a senior editor is shut out from the debate.
Sexual assaults and violence is experienced by underprivileged communities with alarming regularity and hence, a discussion on Nirbhaya is incomplete without one on Khairlanji or the hundreds of hijras found murdered every year. Criticise Udwin, if you will, for yanking out the women's violence narrative out--she clearly hasn't met Dalit women or Hijras, who face violence for their gender, caste and sexuality.
But to muzzle a film because it upsets our comfort and honour is unacceptable. If, as a country, we want to really start a discussion on rape and sexual assault, we have to explore the culture we inhabit, the daily experiences of misogyny and the atmosphere of violence we live in. More importantly, we have to question our involvement and complicity in patriarchy. Without that, hollow bans will only worsen the world's image of India. The country's honour, as it were, will remain sullen.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/analysis/myth-reality-movie-india-s-daughter-isn-t-her-really/article1-1323495.aspx

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Meanwhile in Nagaland...
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:24 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:The moral superiority, the judgements, the assumptions, the gossips and the associated harassment and the support for such behavior....haven't we seen all that on these forums? Same kind of attitude is expressed by the rapist and his lawers. I am surprised that the very same ppl who exhibited all those traits are bewildered by that. Such is the world!
Hmm.. that is precisely what the handles Kinnera, SaaMiYaar, Propagandhi711 and HA routinely indulge in.
Confu, if that's what you feel when anyone talks against the jihadist ideology, then you are equating that ideology with the essence of Islam. Is that what it is?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:36 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

there weren't any women featured who voiced such views. the parents and the wife of a rapist highlighted the hardships and the difficult lives they lead but no one said anything like setting a woman on fire if she goes out with a guy or express desire to use chloroform to subdue a woman etc.

am not sure what the purpose of the documentary was. to me, it was just a blow by blow account of one particularly horrific case and highlighted the cultural factors that lead to such things.

on another note, the 17 year old is set to be released in dec 2015.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:50 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
What's atavistic is the judgment calls that ppl make on deciding for the women on who they need to interact with and who they shouldn't and if they went against their grain, feel entitled to character assassinate them and harass them. Same mentality as the rapist and his lawyers. No difference.

let's see if i understand this. so you're drawing an equivalence between a man who has an opinion on women egging on a crude poster who has made atrocious posts about women and his own repugnant behavior towards them, and rapist/murderers in the delhi bus case and their defense lawyers? did i get that right? if not that, what did you have in mind when you wrote the post above?
You got it right. Read my post again. You'll understand it better.

i asked for an explanation only because i thought i misunderstood what you said. i thought i must have misunderstood since it sounds so unbelievably weird and warped. but it seems like i understood you perfectly. i don't need to re-read your post. thanks for confirming what i thought you said.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
What's atavistic is the judgment calls that ppl make on deciding for the women on who they need to interact with and who they shouldn't and if they went against their grain, feel entitled to character assassinate them and harass them. Same mentality as the rapist and his lawyers. No difference.

let's see if i understand this. so you're drawing an equivalence between a man who has an opinion on women egging on a crude poster who has made atrocious posts about women and his own repugnant behavior towards them, and rapist/murderers in the delhi bus case and their defense lawyers? did i get that right? if not that, what did you have in mind when you wrote the post above?
You got it right. Read my post again. You'll understand it better.

i asked for an explanation only because i thought i misunderstood what you said. i thought i must have misunderstood since it sounds so unbelievably weird and warped. but it seems like i understood you perfectly. i don't need to re-read your post. thanks for confirming what i thought you said.
Glad it's clarified.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:29 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

there weren't any women featured who voiced such views. the parents and the wife of a rapist highlighted the hardships and the difficult lives they lead but no one said anything like setting a woman on fire if she goes out with a guy or express desire to use chloroform to subdue a woman etc.

am not sure what the purpose of the documentary was. to me, it was just a blow by blow account of one particularly horrific case and highlighted the cultural factors that lead to such things.

I've watched the documentary. Nothing earth-shattering or shocking for those who were brought up in India. Not sure why chaddi government got its chaddies in a twist, may be they are trying to protect those chaddi defense lawyers. Both the mother of those two rapists and the wife of other rapist said their parties are innocent but have not shown any sympathy towards the girl that was raped and killed by their kin (may be those comments were edited out).

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:58 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
I've watched the documentary. Nothing earth-shattering or shocking for those who were brought up in India. Not sure why chaddi government got its chaddies in a twist, may be they are trying to protect those chaddi defense lawyers. Both the mother of those two rapists and the wife of other rapist said their parties are innocent but have not shown any sympathy towards the girl that was raped and killed by their kin (may be those comments were edited out).

probably coz many of their own have made similar statements - shall post some of those gems later.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:01 am

Hellsangel wrote:Meanwhile in Nagaland...

I was just going to post...

don;t expect any of our Pseudo fashion-liberals to respond... you know why....Razz

in any case, an illegal Bangladeshi raped a Naga college girl (most likely a Christian). Now Mian Daud is fuming....that one of hs Koranic Crooks has been killed.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:13 am

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

when the 17-year-old is released at the end of 2015, the men and women of delhi will castrate him, dismember him, and finally, kill him. the men who tortured and killed him will then go home and beat up their wives; they may even brag about it here at suCh.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:23 am

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

when the 17-year-old is released at the end of 2015, the men and women of delhi will castrate him, dismember him, and finally, kill him. the men who tortured and killed him will then go home and beat up their wives; they may even brag about it here at suCh.

HAHAHAHAHA.....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:03 pm

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

the people who suggested CC and other torture at SUCH are not from delhi. they're your kith and kin, the TamBs. give them credit where it's due.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Indians are dodging the ban.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-31790574
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:07 am

#IndiasDaughter
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:12 am

https://www.change.org/p/manan-kumar-mishra-chairman-bar-council-of-india-take-action-against-lawyers-ml-sharma-and-ap-singh

https://www.change.org/p/manan-kumar-mishra-chairman-bar-council-of-india-take-action-against-lawyers-ml-sharma-and-ap-singh/u/9957666?tk=zhHZMfupOWkam8WQBPhCjbJR6C8tBCVJ_qBCNRd65WQ&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=&utm_term=

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:17 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I still don't know why this show should be banned. It does have a lot of good messages and lessons to learn. Disturbing, yes; but how else are they planning to change things. Just too bad that someone from uk had to come and do this. India is still not there where people can introspect in an honest manner. 
This movie has little to do with improving the situation for women or giving them equality with men in India. By getting emotional and shedding tears while watching a TV show (involving a very tragic incident) by the BBC, in which a killer of a woman even has the advice to women that they should not pose any resistance during attack by men, will not empower women and improve their situation or change the attitude of men towards women.

What really is needed for this, i.e. to impart the real sense of equality and power in women (at the same level as men), is to get rid of the current system of multiple gender-biased, archaic, religious / communal laws (which subdue women and give more power and privileges to men than women) and instead implement a progressive UCC (Uniform Civil Code) which ensures the same legal rights and equality for women (at the same level with men), no matter what the race, religion and caste.

Then only, with UCC in place, the campaigns and programs to educate people (young and old) and change their mindset on the equality of genders (male and female) will be effective and produce long lasting results.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 am

Sevaji, you have the panacea for all ills.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:26 am

Hellsangel wrote:Sevaji, you have the panacea for all ills.
Thanks HAji.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:32 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:I still don't know why this show should be banned. It does have a lot of good messages and lessons to learn. Disturbing, yes; but how else are they planning to change things. Just too bad that someone from uk had to come and do this. India is still not there where people can introspect in an honest manner. 
This movie has little to do with improving the situation for women or giving them equality with men in India. By getting emotional and shedding tears while watching a TV show (involving a very tragic incident) by the BBC, in which a killer of a woman even has the advice to women that they should not pose any resistance during attack by men, will not empower women and improve their situation or change the attitude of men towards women.

What really is needed for this, i.e. to impart the real sense of equality and power in women (at the same level as men), is to get rid of the current system of multiple gender-biased, archaic, religious / communal laws (which subdue women and give more power and privileges to men than women) and instead implement a progressive UCC (Uniform Civil Code) which ensures the same legal rights and equality for women (at the same level with men), no matter what the race, religion and caste.

Then only, with UCC in place, the campaigns and programs to educate people (young and old) and change their mindset on the equality of genders (male and female) will be effective and produce long lasting results.
Seva ji, forget UCC. What needs to change is the mentality of most indians. This documentary served as a mirror for indians to reflect upon themselves, the kind of society they are living in. It sure is stirring them up and that's going to be a catalyst for change. It's seems hard and not so nice, but it's all good.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:01 am

“If a girl is dressed decently, a boy will not look at her in the wrong way," Khattar had said. When asked whether young people should have freedom of choice, he replied, “If you want freedom, why don't they just roam around naked? Freedom has to be limited. These short clothes are western influences. Our country's tradition asks girls to dress decently.”

He said pre-marital sex occurred when the minds of girls and boys "are not on the right track" .

Manohar Lal Khattar, Haryana's CM

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:45 am

Kinnera wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Seva ji, forget UCC. What needs to change is the mentality of most indians. This documentary served as a mirror for indians to reflect upon themselves, the kind of society they are living in. It sure is stirring them up and that's going to be a catalyst for change. It's seems hard and not so nice, but it's all good.
The mentality of majority of people in India on this issue won't change until they realize and start believing that the country's laws look at men and women as equals (at par), and that won't happen until there is the UCC, after replacing the current system of multiple religious / communal gender-biased laws that favor men over women. As for the recent BBC movie, that will produce only a small / short term blip in   shock value and sensationalism among public.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/09/world/in-neighborhood-of-indian-rapists-smoldering-anger-and-code-of-silence.html wrote:“People like this should be killed immediately,” said Pooja Gupta, 20, her expression stony. “They should leave them in a public place and let the public sort it out. The way they did in Nagaland,” she added, referring to last week’s fatal beating of an accused rapist in northeast India. “They should hang them, but not in jail. They should take them on a parade through the streets, and then hang them.”

As for the documentary, which will premiere in New York on Monday, Ms. Gupta, who is in her third year of university, said she had no interest in seeing it. “He has not been hanged, and he is free to air his views,” she said. “He is not worthy of being spoken to.”
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:55 am

i have a severe migraine. i am going to treat it with two strong 500 mg tablets of UCC, seva's wonder medicine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have a severe migraine. i am going to treat it with two strong 500 mg tablets of UCC, seva's wonder medicine.

seva is right - UCC always works for me,  their blue mountain blend, in particular.

the delhi rapist says... - Page 3 51%2BaW8cjwcL._SX425_

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:55 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i have a severe migraine. i am going to treat it with two strong 500 mg tablets of UCC, seva's wonder medicine.

seva is right - UCC always works for me,  their blue mountain blend, in particular.

the delhi rapist says... - Page 3 51%2BaW8cjwcL._SX425_

LOL, to both of you.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3