Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Christianity failed in India

3 posters

Go down

Why Christianity failed in India Empty Why Christianity failed in India

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:45 am

Christianity poses a serious threat to Hinduism

To put it bluntly, this assertion would be laughable if its consequences were not so destructive of social cohesion. The fact is, the story of Christianity in India is a story of dismal failure, demographically speaking. No believing Christian would like to admit this in this manner, but both they and their detractors should open their eyes to the simple fact that stares them in the face: that India has mostly passed up Christianity, and that there is no other country in the world that has proven so resistant and so impervious to it as India.

And not for lack of effort on the part of the Christians, or for lack of listening on the part of the Hindus. Very few regions in the world have provided Christianity as much freedom to tell its story and propagate itself as India, and in no other country has Christianity tried to spread its message so hard and for so long—for nearly 2,000 years to be specific—which is about half as long as Indian civilisation itself.

And so, what does Indian Christianity have to show for its humongous effort in terms of men, money and material, over two millennia? Almost zilch—or somewhere between two and three per cent of the population. And that number is on the way down, not up—from 2.6 per cent in 1971 to 2.3 per cent in 2001. The census figures for 2011 have not been officially released yet, but leaked figures suggest that there may have been another small decline.
To put that in numerical perspective, think of this. The first Hindu probably landed in London only about 200 years ago, not 2,000 years ago. So what would you expect the Hindu population of the city to be today? Half a per cent? One per cent? Two per cent? The actual figure is over five per cent, more than twice as big as the presence of Christians in India. London is just a city, one might say, so let’s look at the figure for the whole of the UK. Then you come up with 1.3 per cent. If you add those who identify themselves as Sikhs (thus bowing to the wishes of the Hindutva right-wing to treat all Indian-origin religions as essentially one group), then the number goes up to 1.9 per cent, quite comparable to the percentage of Christians in India. And mind you, the Hindu figures for the UK are on the way up, not down. And the UK is no exception. Here are some other figures—New Zealand: 2 per cent, Canada: 1.6 per cent, Australia: 1.28 per cent, Malaysia: 6.3 per cent and Indonesia: 1.69 per cent. This is without even considering our immediate neighbours such as Sri Lanka or Bhutan, or countries such as Fiji or Mauritius, where the figures are, of course, much higher.
http://www.outlookindia.com/article/Why-Christianity-Failed-In-India/293895

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Why Christianity failed in India Empty Re: Why Christianity failed in India

Post by southindian Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 am

What a jerk... the author too.

Hindu numbers in UK did not rise due to conversion to the religion, but because of migration... much like Muslims.

On the other hand...Christians convert. i.e. buying souls with $, Rs and adding through  born-again-C......s

Don't know why idiots miss the point.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 am

southindian wrote:What a jerk... the author too.

Hindu numbers in UK did not rise due to conversion to the religion, but because of migration... much like Muslims.

On the other hand...Christians convert. i.e. buying souls with $, Rs and adding through  born-again-C......s

Ever heard of Hare Krishna?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:53 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Duh!! What a lame example. Have you seen them buying conversions or threatening for conversion with sword/death?

You think ISKON mass converted to Hindu religion to make it 5% in UK? LOL

Your "pretend dumbness" only makes me ask, "Is your other handle "Kayal Vizhi"?

I don't know how old are you, but growing-up was always an option for you. Smile Right?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:18 pm

southindian wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Duh!! What a lame example. Have you seen them buying conversions or threatening for conversion with sword/death?

I don't know how old are you, but growing-up was always an option for you. Smile Right?
Is that how Christian missionaries in India operate, convert by the sword/threaten death? thanks for the edmucation.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:22 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
southindian wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Is that how Christian missionaries in India operate, convert by the sword/threaten death? thanks for the edmucation.
Still pretending to be reading-challenged, Comrade? Read the bolded part above.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down