Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

only the second...

+9
garam-kuta
b_A
southindian
MaxEntropy_Man
Hellsangel
Appalamma
Seva Lamberdar
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
swapna
13 posters

Go down

only the second... Empty only the second...

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 12:20 pm

...ph.d. in economics among the women of the current generation of the family. 

on tuesday, a female person I know (p.i.k., pik) successfully defended her thesis before her dissertation committee, in a public lecture, in the lecture theatre of the economics department of the university of chicago, surrounded by portraits of hayek, samuelson, friedman, stigler, and becker.

pik's dissertation is accepted, approved, and signed off by her committee, which is currently composed mainly of a co-chairman who is a nobel laureate to whom she was research assistant for some years, and the former chairman of the council of economic advisors to the president of the u.s., who is a professor at stanford. both are experts in labour economics.

her presentation, the q&a, and the ensuing discussion lasted 90 minutes.

swapna

Back to top Go down

only the second... Empty Re: only the second...

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 12:26 pm

hahahaaha x 17,370! your diaper is full of double shit and you can keep pretending that you are academically superior than the "hindus" and "telugus"  by citing irrelevant links. carry on ya allah!

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 12:42 pm

"only the second," because the only other woman of my family, of the next generation, my sister's daughter, is also a ph.d. in economics, from a british university; she just completed a year of a postdoctoral research fellowship at oxford university in england.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2015 12:57 pm

swapna wrote:"only the second," because the only other woman of my family, of the next generation, my sister's daughter, is also a ph.d. in economics, from a british university; she just completed a year of a postdoctoral research fellowship at oxford university in england.
and what the fuck are you? a cockroach? 

which british university? say oxford/cambridge. will you cockroach?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 14, 2015 1:19 pm

swapna wrote:...ph.d. in economics among the women of the current generation of the family. 

on tuesday, a female person I know (p.i.k., pik) successfully defended her thesis before her dissertation committee, in a public lecture, in the lecture theatre of the economics department of the university of chicago, surrounded by portraits of hayek, samuelson, friedman, stigler, and becker.

pik's dissertation is accepted, approved, and signed off by her committee, which is currently composed mainly of a co-chairman who is a nobel laureate to whom she was research assistant for some years, and the former chairman of the council of economic advisors to the president of the u.s., who is a professor at stanford. both are experts in labour economics.

Well congratulations to your Daughter and to YOU for not screwing it all up...Razz

lasted only 90 min ????? Just 30 to 35 min of questioning ? Did not know that U of Chicago is also dumbing down the system. It used to last a frikking 2 to 3 hours at the minimum in any deject university.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 1:22 pm

a public lecture at the university of chicago is one to which everyone - the whole world - is invited. 

there were, in fact, only about half a dozen people at pik's lectcure, including the committee. the others were graduate students and ph.d. candidates with special interests in labour economics, human capital development, and game theory.

significantly absent, necessarily, of course, was the late [url=news.uchicago.edu/article/2014/05/04/gary-s-becker-nobel-winning-scholar-economics-and-sociology-1930-2014]prof. gary becker, the 1992 nobel laureate, and pik's main sponsor, guide, mentor, and occasional tennis partner, to whom she had been teaching assistant for some years.[/url] becker died a year ago, at 83. pik was his last ph.d. candidate.

today, I received email from pik that she's sending a nicely-bound copy of her thesis to mrs becker.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 14, 2015 1:34 pm

swapna wrote:a public lecture at the university of chicago is one to which everyone - the whole world - is invited. 

there were, in fact, only about half a dozen people at pik's lectcure, including the committee. the others were graduate students and ph.d. candidates with special interests in labour economics, human capital development, and game theory.

That is how it is done at most universities. Bcz the degree is given in the name of the University Faculty, it is "hoped" there would be some from other departments who might attend - including grad students. But, the chances are it is usually, the local department faculty and friends of the candidate - bcz faculty have no time to attend a 100 defense every semester end. It is now "World" audience bcz of the net and email thingies.

I bet she found a mistake in the abstract on Page 1 after all those revisions.

- Now that I am outted as an Iyengar, I should change the name to Malcolm Adiseshaiah Gownder

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 1:55 pm

brie wrote:
swapna wrote:"only the second," because the only other woman of my family, of the next generation, my sister's daughter, is also a ph.d. in economics, from a british university; she just completed a year of a postdoctoral research fellowship at oxford university in england.
and what the fuck are you? a cockroach? 

which british university? say oxford/cambridge. will you cockroach?

shhhhh! be quiet.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu May 14, 2015 2:04 pm

swapna wrote:...ph.d. in economics among the women of the current generation of the family. 

Congratulations!

Btw, that's quite short for a Ph.D. thesis defense (90 minutes), which usually can easily last for more than two and a half hours  (150 minutes). Moreover, these theses defenses (in front of the thesis committee members) are held in large lecture halls / seminar rooms, open to general public and announced / advertised / publicized well in advance (for about a month or more before the presentation date).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 pm

[size=63]the title of pik's ph.d. thesis:[/size]

[size=63]"The Impact of Mandated Maternity Benefits on the Gender Differential in Promotions: Examining the Role of Adverse Selection"[/size]

[size=63]it falls within the following fields and sub-fields: micro-economics, labour economics, human capital development and investment, information economics, game theory, and the economics of gender differentials.[/size]

[size=63]pik's senior thesis for her b.a. in economics from yale: "in women's hands: a game theoretic analysis of gender-wage inequalities."[/size]

[size=63]the ph.d. thesis includes substantial theoretical and data-based, empirical components. game theory forms the backbone of the theoretical parts, in particular, I think, an important, deductive proof of the existence of a certain equilibrium, bolstered by a proof of its uniqueness.[/size]

[size=63]the findings are counter-intuitive and unconventional, and may not please feminist ideologues, but do intrigue labour economists, and prompt many to experience "aha!" moments during her presentations and seminars.[/size]

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu May 14, 2015 3:06 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Congratulations!

Btw, that's quite short for a Ph.D. thesis defense (90 minutes), which usually can easily last for more than two and a half hours  (150 minutes). Moreover, these theses defenses (in front of the thesis committee members) are held in large lecture halls / seminar rooms, open to general public and announced / advertised / publicized well in advance (for about a month or more before the presentation date).
thank you.

I may have misquoted pik; she may have said "90 minutes of q&a and discussion."

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Thu May 14, 2015 6:56 pm

Congratulations!

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 pm

So d-puk is also ending up in a University Town of not insignificant size, but in New York.

Sad for you Ammachi that you can  brag about this only in a place where no one likes you.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 15, 2015 12:59 am

SUloCHana wrote:Congratulations!

thank you. all the credit goes to pik.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 15, 2015 1:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:So d-puk is also ending up in a University Town of not insignificant size, but in New York.

Sad for you Ammachi that you can  brag about this only in a place where no one likes you.

oooh, you found out! i'm devastated.

sorry, the sadness is all yours. I enjoy observing your seething anger.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 15, 2015 6:12 am

swapna wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:So d-puk is also ending up in a University Town of not insignificant size, but in New York.

Ammachi, you are the one up at 4AM your time trolling this site. 
 It is good for d-puk. What is sad is your life.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 15, 2015 7:06 am

congrats to high achieving offspring and proud parent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri May 15, 2015 8:54 am

Thomas, Great!

You are not the best example of a grown-up, intelligent one who also has education, so I hope she's intelligent and grown-up along with her education.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 am

Hellsangel wrote:
swapna wrote:

I enjoy watching you disintegrate with anger, envy, and insecurity any time of the day.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 15, 2015 11:04 am

AmmachI,  what everyone feels for you is pity.

Sad old sod living in dilapidated conditions abandoned by xw and kids.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri May 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
swapna wrote:

angela aunty, did you jump out of bed to make this post, first thing in the morning, at 7:00 am, your time? no laziing in bed with wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend? no little children jumping into bed with you and wife, to frolic with you? no such persons in your lonely life?

do your amma and appa live with you in kentucky? did amma serve you coffee while you were posting at such, or did breakfast consist of soggy cereals in cold milk in a near-empty, one-bedroom apartment? 

I understand that you people don't have much furniture in your homes, just mats and low stools, true? does someone called kishore koteeswara rao  of kakinada share your one bedroom with you?

your 7:00 am post was the high-point of your day, wasn't it? you'll make several more from your little cubicle, on your employer's time, while barely coding the fifty lines that are required of you at a minimum, ja?

do appa and amma allow you to bring home girlfriends or male lovers? I suppose not. does that mean no sex? how long has it been?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Ha ha ha! Such a long whine! You're really ##upset## and ##angry##,.aren't you, Ammachi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat May 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Isn't it common sense that firms don't employ too many women because of issues like maternity leave, family obligations that prevent putting in long hours etc. They hire just enough people for political correctness in lower levels like secretarial jobs so that their absence doesn't have much impact. Does it require a PhD thesis from an ivy league college with lots of mathematical simulations, polynomial distributions, fancy charts and massaging of data to prove this common sense point?

And considering that there is no nobel prize for economics, can an economist be considered as a nobel laureate?

only the second... 628360f0a42b0132cbc1005056a9545d

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-02

I am acting like a dick in this instance but don't we all know who the real dick around these forums is?

only the second... 63eb7a20a42b0132cbc1005056a9545d
http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-03

Warren Buffet quote on economists:

"We think any company that has an economist has one employee too many," Buffett said (via CNBC).

http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-charlie-munger-quotes-at-berkshire-hathaway-annual-meeting-2015-5

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 16, 2015 12:35 pm

b_A wrote:Isn't it common sense that firms don't employ too many women because of issues like maternity leave, family obligations that prevent putting in long hours etc. They hire just enough people for political correctness in lower levels like secretarial jobs so that their absence doesn't have much impact. Does it require a PhD thesis from an ivy league college with lots of mathematical simulations, polynomial distributions, fancy charts and massaging of data to prove this common sense point?

And considering that there is no nobel prize for economics, can an economist be considered as a nobel laureate?

First Univ of Chicago is NOT an Ivy League....and I consider Univ of Chicago as superior to the Publicity-seeking Ivy League. Since my word is final, that one is settled.

On reading the thesis title and abstract, I have my own views.... But, I know that anyone who files an FMLA with a company is in its shyt list. They have to tread very carefully in their dealings and raise and promotion are less than normal. Of course...the PhDs are there only to "prove" the obvious observations made by high-shool dropouts.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 16, 2015 12:51 pm

buffet also said this about one very prominent economist:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/10/warren-buffett-bernanke-was-a-hero.aspx
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:buffet also said this about one very prominent economist:
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/05/10/warren-buffett-bernanke-was-a-hero.aspx

But, that might be despite he being an economist....

Rajan - RBI Governor is not an economist but a Looter with an Engineers mind and honesty.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm

b_A wrote:

There is a Nobel prize for "Economic Sciences"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat May 16, 2015 3:12 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
b_A wrote:

There is a Nobel prize for "Economic Sciences"

Apparently you missed the Dilbert cartoon strip.
There is only "Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobe". It was instituted by the Swedish Government. People who were awarded that should be called "Sveriges Riksbank laureates". And please, it can never be called a "Science".

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat May 16, 2015 4:46 pm

The language used is that of the below-average high school student.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Sat May 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Oh come on. Cut some slack for the young woman.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat May 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Veeu wrote:Oh come on. Cut some slack for the young woman.
Normally, One should. But considering the relentless mocking history of people who grew up with English as second or even third language, mocking about silly things like nobel/noble, remuneration etc., it is more than fair.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 16, 2015 5:12 pm

b_A wrote:
Normally, One should. But considering the relentless mocking history of people who grew up with English as second or even third language, mocking about silly things like nobel/noble, remuneration etc., it is more than fair.
You'll have to account for the fact she didn't grow up with Ammachi. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 pm

pik seems to have enjoyed making the presentation, responding to questions, and playing a pivotal role in the discussions at her thesis defence. that's partly because, given the effort she had put into it, she probably knows more about the subject than almost anyone else.

and partly because, from mid-january to about mid-april, she had traveled the job-market lecture circuit to and from the east coast (cambridge, new haven, providence, ithaca - vivek, that's not "itTHakha - virginia, washingron, dc, etc.) , the west coast (santa monica and.palo alto), and closer home to evanston, wisconsin, and minnesota, making presentations at seminars/workshops, and meeting faculty members individually.

I estimate that, in all, pik presented her work to various universities and research groups a dozen times before her thesis defence. the best part of it, I believe, is that her work is known to many labour economists, and many want to collaborate with her.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 16, 2015 8:28 pm

swapna wrote:pik seems to have enjoyed making the presentation, responding to questions, .....I estimate that, in all, pik presented her work to various universities and research groups a dozen times before her thesis defence. the best part of it, I believe, is that her work is known to many labour economists, and many want to collaborate with her.

Looks like you are asking for it.....good luck.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 16, 2015 8:30 pm

The irony! After Ammachi begged the great glut Admin to remove all references to him, he links d-puk back to SuCH.

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 pm

b_A wrote:

that's quite incisive, and you couldn't be more right on this one clap

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat May 16, 2015 10:33 pm

b_A wrote:

hahaha, he wrote "renumeration," not "remuneration," in a cryptic word puzzle!  when the error was pointed out to him, he whined endlessly, and angela aunty wailed along! 

tribal loyalty is a strong, usually harmful force. one doesn't need to look much further to understand why india is likely to take 78 years to catch up with china. 

watch the bit_analyzer relive the pain of "renumeration" on behalf of the india lover.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 16, 2015 10:42 pm

swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:

hahaha, he wrote "renumeration," not "remuneration," in a cryptic word puzzle!  when the error was pointed out to him, he whined endlessly, and angela aunty wailed along! 

tribal loyalty is a strong, usually harmful force. one doesn't need to look much further to understand why india is likely to take 78 years to catch up with china. 

watch the bit_analyzer relive the pain of "renumeration" on behalf of the india lover.
Actually what will be interesting to watch is Ammachi wailing to the great glut Admin again.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun May 17, 2015 9:24 am

swapna wrote:pik seems to have enjoyed making the presentation, responding to questions, and playing a pivotal role in the discussions at her thesis defence. that's partly because, given the effort she had put into it, she probably knows more about the subject than almost anyone else.

and partly because, from mid-january to about mid-april, she had traveled the job-market lecture circuit to and from the east coast (cambridge, new haven, providence, ithaca - vivek, that's not "itTHakha - virginia, washingron, dc, etc.) , the west coast (santa monica and.palo alto), and closer home to evanston, wisconsin, and minnesota, making presentations at seminars/workshops, and meeting faculty members individually.

I estimate that, in all, pik presented her work to various universities and research groups a dozen times before her thesis defence. the best part of it, I believe, is that her work is known to many labour economists, and many want to collaborate with her.
hahaha. Will she also be making presentations with fancy graphics about how people with no skills get minimum wage jobs, hahaha and demand and supply effects on the prices, hahaha.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun May 17, 2015 9:26 am

swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:

Back to your dick from internet mocking mode? Your time should be better spent on finding why d-puk who grew up in a country where English is the main language, writes like a highschooler, not like a graduate student.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun May 17, 2015 1:32 pm

b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:

Back to your dick from internet mocking mode? Your time should be better spent on finding why d-puk who grew up in a country where English is the main language, writes like a highschooler, not like a graduate student.

why is everyone referring to his daughter as a cunt?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 pm

so sad that this heinous old fuck doesn't have anyone else to share his last remaining proud moments and turns to an online forum to brag where 99% hate him and vice versa

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 17, 2015 1:40 pm

swapna wrote:pik seems to have enjoyed making the presentation, responding to questions, .....I estimate that, in all, pik presented her work to various universities and research groups a dozen times before her thesis defence. the best part of it, I believe, is that her work is known to many labour economists, and many want to collaborate with her.

A PhD Dissertation by its nature is a "unique" treatise and NATURALLY its author is EXPECTED to know more than anyone else - including the committee members, no matter if he is even a Nobel Laureate. The committee members dont question but rather would like to know from her the nature of the results, and free wheeling "intellectual" discussion. That is why a dissertation is copyrighted in that researchers name.

take it as a lesson from a high school dropout to a IIT-JEEian...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun May 17, 2015 1:57 pm

>>>Good point. Be careful what you wish for.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun May 17, 2015 11:18 pm

b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:
Veeu wrote:Oh come on. Cut seome slack for the young woman.

Back to your dick from internet mocking mode?

what does that mean? did you pick several words at random from a dictionary and arrange them in random order?

swapna

Back to top Go down

only the second... Empty Education is NOT in degrees, but also in Awareness of Mind!

Post by TruthSeeker Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi FlimFlam,

My heartiest congratulations and best wishes for a bright future for the second woman earning a PhD.

Its a proud moment for you, and I share the sentiment.

May the next generation excel, not only in just degrees, but also in awareness and righteousness.

Best wishes,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon May 18, 2015 9:38 am

TruthSeeker wrote:Hi FlimFlam,

My heartiest congratulations and best wishes for a bright future for the second woman earning a PhD.

May the next generation excel, not only in just degrees, but also in awareness and righteousness.

Best wishes,
TS.

thanks, ts.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 am

Hi FlimFlam,

Best wishes,
Brie

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm

swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:
swapna wrote:
b_A wrote:
Veeu wrote:Oh come on. Cut seome slack for the young woman.

Back to your dick from internet mocking mode?

what does that mean? did you pick several words at random from a dictionary and arrange them in random order?

Is it decline in general abilities due to old age or a coping mechanism for the intense trauma created by my first post in this topic?
If you re-read it, you will find this,

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-03

only the second... 63eb7a20a42b0132cbc1005056a9545d
If you don't want to re-live the trauma, don't read it.
PS: There is a reason his name is Dick, but a person of only bookish knowledge like you will not probably get it.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum