Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

it is in fact rocket science

3 posters

Go down

it is in fact rocket science Empty it is in fact rocket science

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/opinion/it-is-in-fact-rocket-science.html?

leonard mlodinow the author of this article is the fellow in the audience who is engaging deep-quack chopra in this video clip:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

it is in fact rocket science Empty Re: it is in fact rocket science

Post by rawemotions Sat May 16, 2015 4:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/opinion/it-is-in-fact-rocket-science.html?

leonard mlodinow the author of this article is the fellow in the audience who is engaging deep-quack chopra in this video clip:

Deepak's last statement in this clip can neither  be proved nor disproved.
I do not think anybody clearly understands consciousness well enough today.
I think part of it comes from the Hindu belief system, where it is currently an article of faith.
You can either take his statement in face value or ignore it.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 16, 2015 4:51 pm

i am no expert on vedanta, but there are much better writers and speakers on the subject who don't resort to the kind of gobbledygook that deep-quack unfailingly and routinely spouts at such venues. the late sarvepalli radhakrishnan was one, and in more recent times chinmayananda.

deep-quack's mixture of malapropistic physics terminology and vedanta all flatulated with a smug and beatific expression has some westerners mesmerized, but most reasonably intelligent people will see it for it is right away -- a huge pile of horse manure.

in any case, the purpose of this thread was not to discuss deep-quack, but to highlight this very nice opinion piece by mlodinow in the times. i only posted the video clip to provide a connection to mlodinow to people who may have seen this exchange with deep-quack on SUCH in old discussions.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 16, 2015 5:07 pm

and by the way, this packaging of pseudo-physics mixed with a bit of vedanta rendered in airy-fairy prose doesn't have much currency with young people who seem to be far more pragmatic these days. most of deep-quack's clients are folks from the beat generation -- bearded, unwashed, and slightly stinky in a musty way.  some of these folks have money to spend on deep-quack's horse manure and snake oil potions.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat May 16, 2015 5:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:and by the way, this packaging of pseudo-physics mixed with a bit of vedanta rendered in airy-fairy prose doesn't have much currency with young people who seem to be far more pragmatic these days. most of deep-quack's clients are folks from the beat generation -- bearded, unwashed, and slightly stinky in a musty way.  some of these folks have money to spend on deep-quack's horse manure and snake oil potions.
I do not follow Deepak nor have heard him. But he is entitled to his views, and people can choose to ignore him. There is a big community in US who are for intelligent design. Do you call them quacks ? So why gun for Deepak alone ?
But I do want to read this guy's book. Thanks for pointing that out. I am interested in the kind of  books, where great masters write books about complex topics, that explain things in a lucid manner.

Even in physics, many scientists talk about grandiose concepts like "Multi-verse" and Dark matter  with a straight face, all  because they have observed something that cannot be explained and have named it as such. 

You cannot say "Multi-verse" is great and "Maya" is humbug, just because multi-verse was said recently. 
The fact of the matter is, we still do not completely understand the source of gravity, and thus much more is left to be discovered to get a unified theory of everything.

In Ayurveda the science is based on classifying the health in three axis "Vaatha", "Pittha" and "Kapha". there is no known way to measure the quantity. But you cannot say something like that does not exist, since even today people are figuring the reasons mitochondria moves in a cell. Everybody says Carbon is present in all life forms, but do we know why a bunch of atoms starts becoming a "live being".  For all you know beyond DNA something might be discovered to be three fundamental aspects of biology and they could mirror Vaatha , Pittha and Kapha.

May be with stem cell research and artificial cell synthesis, we would be closer to the truth.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat May 16, 2015 8:21 pm

hmm...time to try and read my friend Dr. Roy's book in its entirety - Demystifying the Akasha - Consciousness and the Quantum Vacuum

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down