Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telangana - Hot topic again

+3
artood2
charvaka
truthbetold
7 posters

Go down

Telangana - Hot topic again Empty Telangana - Hot topic again

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Telagana is boiling again. There seems to be some continuous distrubing activity over the last three weeks. KCR's statement of Kurnool and Anatapur districts to be added to the Telangana state is the most bizzare idea I heard in recent days. Hyderabad continuous to be the main bone of contention ( and occassionally water sharing also comes into picture).

Congress, TDP, YSR congress and MIM are still sitting on fence.

A 25 year revenue sharing in Hyd and 100 year water sharing agreement should be the basis of state division. What do you think?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Telangana - Hot topic again Empty Re: Telangana - Hot topic again

Post by charvaka Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:08 pm

I think the state should not be divided. It is a lose-lose proposition for Telugus from both regions.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:46 am

truthbetold wrote:Telagana is boiling again. There seems to be some continuous distrubing activity over the last three weeks. KCR's statement of Kurnool and Anatapur districts to be added to the Telangana state is the most bizzare idea I heard in recent days. Hyderabad continuous to be the main bone of contention ( and occassionally water sharing also comes into picture).

A 25 year revenue sharing in Hyd and 100 year water sharing agreement should be the basis of state division. What do you think?

They are trying to split Rayalaseema. I hate to see the two Rayalaseema districts linked up with Telangana. Want the whole of Rayalaseema to either be with the rest of AP or form their own state. That's better for them.

If the state splits, the Seemandhra regions are going to develop themselves with a vengeance. I expect a lot of development in those areas. the process seems to have already started. Meanwhile, hyd, along with T is going to go down the drain. Don't want Kurnool and Anantapur to go down along with them by linking themselves with T.

Btw, dad and two of my uncles sold the house they've been living in for almost 40 yrs, the house that I grew up in. One of my uncles moved to Anantapur, ironically. Two other cousins moved to B'lore. The exodus has started. I'm also planning to buy real estate in B'lore and eventually sell the ones in Hyd. Hyd doesn't remain the city that I was born, brought up and held dear to my heart. Got to move on. I'm sure many are going to follow suit.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:17 am

I am philosophically (really) opposed to a divided Andhra pradesh. A combined state is so much better economically both for telangana and Andhra. Balanced development throughout the state is the real answer. Congress's selfish political interests (to win as many MP seats as possible) and KCR's ambitions to rule Telangana will dominate future decision making. TDP's fence sitting is killing it in both parts of the state (and rightly so).

As far as HYD's future is concerned, my life is too entertwined with HYD to wish it anything but future growth. Whatever may be the outcome, Hyd will remain my native destination.

The rumor on Anantpur and Kurnool suggest that congress is trying to balance KCR's hold on North T. My expectation is that KCR will not be able to hold onto power beyond first 5 years or one election cycle. TRS will either disintegrate or entire or large sections will merge with Congress.

Finally I do not see a way out of this mess without a division of state unless congress offers KCR CM position.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:45 am

truthbetold wrote:
The rumor on Anantpur and Kurnool suggest that congress is trying to balance KCR's hold on North T. My expectation is that KCR will not be able to hold onto power beyond first 5 years or one election cycle. TRS will either disintegrate or entire or large sections will merge with Congress.

Finally I do not see a way out of this mess without a division of state unless congress offers KCR CM position.

The attempt to split Rayalaseema is probably to dilute the hold of Jagan in the area. Congress is too paranoid abt Jagan. My expectation is that KCR and his family is going to rule the newly formed state and loot it left and right. Eventually, they are going to merge with congress.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 am

kinnera wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

The attempt to split Rayalaseema is probably to dilute the hold of Jagan in the area. Congress is too paranoid abt Jagan. My expectation is that KCR and his family is going to rule the newly formed state and loot it left and right. Eventually, they are going to merge with congress.

Yes. Jagan's influence is a big factor. It will divide reddy power centers into two different states making it difficult for Jagan to mount a national challenge in future. Culturally it is a complete mismatch and it will foster rayalseema vs telangana divide for a very very long time.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:05 am

truthbetold wrote:
kinnera wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

Yes. Jagan's influence is a big factor. It will divide reddy power centers into two different states making it difficult for Jagan to mount a national challenge in future. Culturally it is a complete mismatch and it will foster rayalseema vs telangana divide for a very very long time.

Sad that politics and self-interest of the politicians take precedence to everything else. The long term effect of all this is not going to be good for any of the three regions. But which neta cares! Sorry state of affairs. *sigh*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 am

truthbetold wrote:
As far as HYD's future is concerned, my life is too entertwined with HYD to wish it anything but future growth. Whatever may be the outcome, Hyd will remain my native destination.

I was a proud hyderabadi. That was my identity. While growing up, no one cared where the other person's parents or grandparents came from. We were just happy to be hyderabadis. With the T agitation, the differences that we never thought abt, cropped up. To be called a settler and be alienated in your own home town is not fun. I was pained, agitated and angry initially. Then that slowly turned into cynicism and dejection. Many that I know are in the same state that I'm in. It's an achievement for KCR and the telanganites who want to drive out all the non-telanganites from Hyd. This is what they want. Their mission is getting accomplished. To hell with them!

Pakistan was created in a similar fashion. They tried to eliminate all non-muslims and they succeded to a large extent. Look at their state of affairs now. It's a failed state. The same will be repeated in the T state. Entho mandi usuru ekkadiki podu.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:25 am

kinnera wrote: To be called a settler and be alienated in your own home town is not fun. I was pained, agitated and angry initially. Then that slowly turned into cynicism and dejection. Many that I know are in the same state that I'm in. It's an achievement for KCR and the telanganites who want to drive out all the non-telanganites from Hyd. This is what they want.

It is amazing how many times this story happens in independent India. And its amazing how many people agree with the "my language, my land" rhetorics. Straight lines states I say.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

If they are going to divide Andhra - better divide it into 4 parts: Andhra, Telengana, rayalaseema, and merge the Chitoor/Tirupati with TN.

Of course, I think they should also merge Bangalore and mysore with TN.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:If they are going to divide Andhra - better divide it into 4 parts: Andhra, Telengana, rayalaseema, and merge the Chitoor/Tirupati with TN.

Of course, I think they should also merge Bangalore and mysore with TN.

divide till you cannot differentiate between assembly and municipality.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:16 am

truthbetold wrote:What do you think?

IMO the center will *not* allow for Telangana. They will play all sorts of political games, referendums etc and keep postponing it. BJP will try as much possible to woo the voters to get them into power but hey, again IMO BJP as a party is done. They have no more chances. They were given one and were taken out. That was that. People like Venkiah Naidu, Uma Bharati cannot lead a country. They can speak locally and gather a couple of thousand guys to listen to them but then their aura ends there. The rest of the bunch are VERY OLD. It was a well known fact India Today reported, that Vajpayee used to sleep in meetings when he was PM. :-)

The reason for rejecting Telangana is that, once AP is divided several requests from other states will crop up (Goorkhaland for one already did) and others will make it worse. It is not easy and it is dirty as well both on political and otherwise. I do not know how MP was divided but to my knowledge there was no huge movement like the current Telangana movement in MP. I could be wrong though.

Also at this juncture, the telangana activists have no specific plan for H2O or any other requests. All they are told is to agitate and break stuff at which they have been very successful. If the state is divided (if at all), the regions will easily become hotbeds of other agitations like sub-regions, fights with water, resources, environment, food and you name it.

OTOH, the telangana requests are becoming funnier by the day. Now they want Kurnool? Tomorrow they may want land "right up to the inches of Godavari river," like Duryodhana said "Will not yield even the land supported by a needle point." :-)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 pm

kinnera wrote:To be called a settler and be alienated in your own home town is not fun.
Everybody is a settler in Hyderabad, even the goatherds of Golconda. If some idiots try to use that to suggest that you should leave, your leaving because of that is unnecessary.

kinnera wrote:It's an achievement for KCR and the telanganites who want to drive out all the non-telanganites from Hyd. This is what they want. Their mission is getting accomplished. To hell with them!
I very much doubt that the government of Telangana will want to drive away people from other regions. Their ability to loot is directly related to economic activity, so it is in their best interest to keep the economy going.

kinnera wrote:Pakistan was created in a similar fashion. They tried to eliminate all non-muslims and they succeded to a large extent. Look at their state of affairs now. It's a failed state. The same will be repeated in the T state. Entho mandi usuru ekkadiki podu.
You are getting carried away. To compare the creation of another state to the partition of India is preposterous. It's the same sort of argument that was used against a separate Andhra state by supporters of a single Madras state.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:37 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:To be called a settler and be alienated in your own home town is not fun.
Everybody is a settler in Hyderabad, even the goatherds of Golconda. If some idiots try to use that to suggest that you should leave, your leaving because of that is unnecessary.

kinnera wrote:It's an achievement for KCR and the telanganites who want to drive out all the non-telanganites from Hyd. This is what they want. Their mission is getting accomplished. To hell with them!
I very much doubt that the government of Telangana will want to drive away people from other regions. Their ability to loot is directly related to economic activity, so it is in their best interest to keep the economy going.

kinnera wrote:Pakistan was created in a similar fashion. They tried to eliminate all non-muslims and they succeded to a large extent. Look at their state of affairs now. It's a failed state. The same will be repeated in the T state. Entho mandi usuru ekkadiki podu.
You are getting carried away. To compare the creation of another state to the partition of India is preposterous. It's the same sort of argument that was used against a separate Andhra state by supporters of a single Madras state.

We can't ignore the cultural and social changes that are already happening. Discrimination will soon be overt and rampant and people will leave anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm

nutmeg wrote:We can't ignore the cultural and social changes that are already happening. Discrimination will soon be overt and rampant and people will leave anyway.
That is a possible outcome of all this acrimony. But I hope it doesn't come to that.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:50 pm

charvaka wrote:I very much doubt that the government of Telangana will want to drive away people from other regions. Their ability to loot is directly related to economic activity, so it is in their best interest to keep the economy going.

first you throw everyone off, get control of the vital resources and then kickstart the economic activities. That's the standard modus operandi.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:52 pm

artood2 wrote:
charvaka wrote:I very much doubt that the government of Telangana will want to drive away people from other regions. Their ability to loot is directly related to economic activity, so it is in their best interest to keep the economy going.

first you throw everyone off, get control of the vital resources and then kickstart the economic activities. That's the standard modus operandi.
Telangana's economy is not really based on resource extraction. Much of the economy is about the service sector, and it is largely controlled by people originally from the coast. It is going to be hard to transfer those activities to the "locals."
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 pm

charvaka wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Telangana's economy is not really based on resource extraction. Much of the economy is about the service sector, and it is largely controlled by people originally from the coast. It is going to be hard to transfer those activities to the "locals."

you create conditions where people start leaving. you either capture their land or buy it on the cheap. And then you announce big govt projects that increases its value. And that is one of such things that can be done.

wiki thinks Telengana has resources

Natural resources

The Telangana region has rich natural resources. 45% of the forest area in Andhra Pradesh state is in Telangana region, spread across five districts. 20% of the coal deposits in the country are in Telangana region. The Singareni Collieries Company excavates coal for industrial purposes and for thermal power stations. The power generated is supplied to the entire of South India. There are limestone deposits in the region, which cater to cement factories. Telangana has other resources such as bauxite and mica.

artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Telangana does have mineral resources but it is no Chattisgarh or Jharkhand. In the same sense, culturally Telangana is more developed than those two states. My interaction with TRS individuals tells me that not many of them are interested in driving away all of the coastal/seema settlers. Many of them like my family has nowhere to go after living in hyd for nearly 50 years.

Any new T govt would like economic activity to perk up and would not cause trouble to large masses. However, leaders like Jagan (and Kadapa real estate people) and Lagadapati (and coastal businessmen) will not have same level of power in a T govt. They cannot manipulate things like they used. However, Kavita and KTR (KCR's children) will provide a new outlet for manipulation.

While Coastal and seema people will lose out in Job opportunities but politicos will regain their connections within one or two election cycles.

Some one suggested that T state will ignite other state demands. That is another reason Centrla govt should think deep. However their decision is stictly going to be made on how many MP seats they can win in 2014. People be damned. Country be damned.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:02 pm

Telangana's economy is not really resource-based. Sure, it has some mineral resources. But they don't account for a large fraction of GDP.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:45 pm

charvaka wrote:Telangana's economy is not really resource-based. Sure, it has some mineral resources/. But they don't account for a large fraction of GDP.

Then where's the money coming from? - From the service sector based in Hyd.

Who has created and is running that? -Seemandhrites.

Then why are the ones contributing the most to T economy dubbed as looters and settlers?-Telivitakkuvatanam/stupidity

What will happen if these ppl take thier businesses elsewhere? Besides, no Seemandhrite with an iota of self-respect will invest in any new ventures in or around hyd in the distant future. What will happen to T economy then?-Down in the dumps? Cheppandi.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 pm

while recent service economy has helped hyd job creation significantly, I am not sure of its direct contribution to state coffers. It industry does not pay lot of taxes. Most of state revenues come from city industry (non IT) . IT contributes through taxes on real estate activity, hotel, and other expenditures.

There is a school of thought that blames T state agitation on CBNaidu. In 1990s, he wanted to attract international IT business to AP and picked on the strategy that a single location with facilities, engineers, power, land, transportation and state support is required and that would be capital HYD.
He drove the entire state machinary to create a city that matches Bangolore' allure and got the International attention. Success drove real estate prices in HYD and T farmers who sold their land created a new urban middle class. These T middle class along with T educated formed the new demand for political power. Prof. Jayaprakash understood these dynamics and worked with disgruntled KCR to stoke T fires. YSR in his desperation for political power used KCR in 2004 with Sonia's blessings.

YSR tried to backout from T demand and was able to silence T congress. Now it is out of congress hands.

If CBN spread development across state including vishakapatnam, vijayawada, tirupati etc., things could have been different.

So much water flowed through Krishna over the two decades. Reality is that AP is once again self destructing.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:34 pm

kinnera wrote:Then where's the money coming from? - From the service sector based in Hyd.
Depends on what you mean by "money coming in." If you look at taxes, most of it comes from industrial and non-IT service sectors. (IT enjoys a long-term tax holiday, and most foreign IT companies manage their India operations as cost centers so they don't pay taxes in India.) I wasn't even thinking of tax base; I was referring to GDP. The largest fraction of Telangana GDP is from agriculture. Telangana agriculture is dominated by the rich landowners of Telangana.

kinnera wrote:What will happen if these ppl take thier businesses elsewhere? Besides, no Seemandhrite with an iota of self-respect will invest in any new ventures in or around hyd in the distant future. What will happen to T economy then?-Down in the dumps? Cheppandi.
Like I said, it is a loss-loss. Most businessmen hopefully aren't as emotional with their investments as you are. Any move of businesses will come if KCR fucks up the government, as he may well do once he is in power. For now though, talk of businesses exiting is a "heat of the moment" thing IMO.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:08 am

charvaka wrote:Like I said, it is a loss-loss. Most businessmen hopefully aren't as emotional with their investments as you are. Any move of businesses will come if KCR fucks up the government, as he may well do once he is in power. For now though, talk of businesses exiting is a "heat of the moment" thing IMO.

I wouldnt be so sure -rest of AP is developing ports and power infrastructure at a decent speed. and all new projects of any size are being grabbed by the crafty neighborans. once momemtum is lost, it's not easy to gain it back and could take decades, imo. am not saying as a within the state destination for capital hyd is easy to replace but a clueless govt will not help. let's face it - telangana culture did not exactly produce go getting businessmen and astute administrators in the past and imagine them 'tards going after national/international capital. just sayin...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:10 am

" I wouldnt be so sure -rest of AP is developing ports and power infrastructure at a decent speed. and all new projects of any size are being grabbed by the crafty neighborans. once momemtum is lost, it's not easy to gain it back and could take decades, imo. am not saying as a within the state destination for capital hyd is easy to replace but a clueless govt will not help. let's face it - telangana culture did not exactly produce go getting businessmen and astute administrators in the past and imagine them 'tards going after national/international capital. just sayin...[/quote]"

Speaking of neighbours, I heard a story long ago about Chidambaram. A prominent Andhra MP remarked after Chidambaram dec9 pronouncement of the start of formation of Telangana state process that Chidambaram was an internal advocate of bifurcating AP to sideline HYD challenge to TN on International projects.

AP lost its star status since 2004 and any lingering luster was destroyed by Rosaiah. The govt is so imbecile that agitators can do pretty much what they want. Agitators issue call to railroko, govt stops trains.

There is no leader who is ready to propose a practical alternate solution and talk to different leaders to resolve the problem. Everything is left to 10 Janpath road and she does not have answers. she needs the 40 MP seats in 2014 for Rahul and there is no way out of this damn situation.

Otherwise, congress can say, a Telangana CM with a massive development grant as a first step to resolution. TDP backed it self into a corner to offer a solution by punting the ball into Congress corner. TDP will lose in T because people do not trust it there and it will lose in Andhra and seema for its failure to show leadership during crisis.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:12 pm

truthbetold wrote:" I wouldnt be so sure -rest of AP is developing ports and power infrastructure at a decent speed. and all new projects of any size are being grabbed by the crafty neighborans. once momemtum is lost, it's not easy to gain it back and could take decades, imo. am not saying as a within the state destination for capital hyd is easy to replace but a clueless govt will not help. let's face it - telangana culture did not exactly produce go getting businessmen and astute administrators in the past and imagine them 'tards going after national/international capital. just sayin...
"

Speaking of neighbours, I heard a story long ago about Chidambaram. A prominent Andhra MP remarked after Chidambaram dec9 pronouncement of the start of formation of Telangana state process that Chidambaram was an internal advocate of bifurcating AP to sideline HYD challenge to TN on International projects.

AP lost its star status since 2004 and any lingering luster was destroyed by Rosaiah. The govt is so imbecile that agitators can do pretty much what they want. Agitators issue call to railroko, govt stops trains.

There is no leader who is ready to propose a practical alternate solution and talk to different leaders to resolve the problem. Everything is left to 10 Janpath road and she does not have answers. she needs the 40 MP seats in 2014 for Rahul and there is no way out of this damn situation.

Otherwise, congress can say, a Telangana CM with a massive development grant as a first step to resolution. TDP backed it self into a corner to offer a solution by punting the ball into Congress corner. TDP will lose in T because people do not trust it there and it will lose in Andhra and seema for its failure to show leadership during crisis.

[/quote]

other than that corrupt john paul YSR, when did congress majority govt show leadership at state level?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:55 pm

"

other than that corrupt john paul YSR, when did congress majority govt show leadership at state level?[/quote]"

For all his corrupt practices, he was the only mass leader of congress in recent times. Historically Vengal rao, prior to that Sanjiva Reddy, and Acharya Ranga were considered leaders on their own mass base.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:32 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:Then where's the money coming from? - From the service sector based in Hyd.
Depends on what you mean by "money coming in." If you look at taxes, most of it comes from industrial and non-IT service sectors.

I didn't say just the IT sector. All the state-of-the-art hospitals, pharmaceuticals, top notch restaurants and hotels, shopping malls, construction and real-estate firms, coaching centers and educational institutions, various businesses, industries, etc in and around hyd are the ones contributing the most to the exchequer. How many of these are owned by Telangana enterprenuers?

I wasn't even thinking of tax base; I was referring to GDP. The largest fraction of Telangana GDP is from agriculture. Telangana agriculture is dominated by the rich landowners of Telangana.

If the agriculture is so great in T, then why do they cry over the coastal farmers? One of their initial reasons for a separate state was that the coastal farmers are stealing their water and doing well in agriculture. huh? The rivers first flow in T and since it's the nature of water of to flow to low lying areas, it flows to the coastal regions. In what way are the coastal farmers to be blamed? The point is that their complaint is that the agriculture in T is not doing well. If they are right, then the largest fraction of T GDP can't be from agriculture.

If T still suffers from feudal system, it's their problem. They got to deal with it.

kinnera wrote:What will happen if these ppl take thier businesses elsewhere? Besides, no Seemandhrite with an iota of self-respect will invest in any new ventures in or around hyd in the distant future. What will happen to T economy then?-Down in the dumps? Cheppandi.
Like I said, it is a loss-loss. Most businessmen hopefully aren't as emotional with their investments as you are. Any move of businesses will come if KCR fucks up the government, as he may well do once he is in power. For now though, talk of businesses exiting is a "heat of the moment" thing IMO.

They may not shut down their businesess right away. But, slowly and steadily, they're going to syphon out their money and invest it outside T. Watch it happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 pm

kinnera wrote:The point is that their complaint is that the agriculture in T is not doing well. If they are right, then the largest fraction of T GDP can't be from agriculture.

There is no contradiction here.

They are right. Rivers flow to lower areas, but human beings build dams. When dams are built, the water can be made to flow to different places. Historically, irrigation projects have benefited Andhra farmers more.

The largest fraction of T's GDP does come from agriculture. If T agriculture had gotten the same level of taxpayer support that coastal Andhra agriculture did, it would be bigger.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:55 pm

Kinnera,

T people have a valid argument on water haring. Sriram sagar on Godavari was too slow to complete and silted to some extent. While one cannot blame coastal people for that, it is the ineffective govts that caused it.

A bigger issue was the water for Mahbubnagar dist. Even though district is next to Krishna no worthwhile amount of water flows into it. Add to that HYD stole a lot of water from Sri sailam that could be used for agriculture. Again it is not Coastal people per say but govt in general.

Some T people believe Godavari would benefit T state, fact is most of godavari's major flows come tributaries that join in forests around Khammam and flow through papikodalu and into polavaram area. Those waters will not benefit T areas.

A little known fact is that many of the recently irrigated areas in t area have Coastal farmers (Bhodan area ). Those same hardworking farmers moved to Karnataka around the newly built dams. While Karnataka welcomed them for their agri skills and as Indians, T area is finger pointing at them as settlers.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm

charvaka wrote:
kinnera wrote:The point is that their complaint is that the agriculture in T is not doing well. If they are right, then the largest fraction of T GDP can't be from agriculture.

They are right. Rivers flow to lower areas, but human beings build dams. When dams are built, the water can be made to flow to different places. Historically, irrigation projects have benefited Andhra farmers more.

The largest fraction of T's GDP does come from agriculture. If T agriculture had gotten the same level of taxpayer support that coastal Andhra agriculture did, it would be bigger.

I heard that it is difficult to have the irrigation system at the high level areas of telangana (which most of them are) because water doesn't flow into those high areas even if dams are built and canals are made. One has to pump water up. And that is the problem. Coastal areas don't have that problem. Anyway, if anything has to be done, it has to be done by their leaders. What was KCR doing in his 30 yrs of office as an elected representative?

The last sentence of yours in the last two paras is a typical T rhetoric.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:23 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kinnera,

T people have a valid argument on water haring. Sriram sagar on Godavari was too slow to complete and silted to some extent. While one cannot blame coastal people for that, it is the ineffective govts that caused it.

A bigger issue was the water for Mahbubnagar dist. Even though district is next to Krishna no worthwhile amount of water flows into it. Add to that HYD stole a lot of water from Sri sailam that could be used for agriculture. Again it is not Coastal people per say but govt in general.

Read my reply to Carvaka

Some T people believe Godavari would benefit T state, fact is most of godavari's major flows come tributaries that join in forests around Khammam and flow through papikodalu and into polavaram area. Those waters will not benefit T areas.

A little known fact is that many of the recently irrigated areas in t area have Coastal farmers (Bhodan area ). Those same hardworking farmers moved to Karnataka around the newly built dams. While Karnataka welcomed them for their agri skills and as Indians, T area is finger pointing at them as settlers.

Ide problem. Enta sepu inkokalla meeda padi edavatam. Even if they get a separate state, they're not going to do any better.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:29 pm

kinnera wrote:
charvaka wrote:

I heard that it is difficult to have the irrigation system at the high level areas of telangana (which most of them are) because water doesn't flow into those high areas even if dams are built and canals are made. One has to pump water up. And that is the problem. Coastal areas don't have that problem. Anyway, if anything has to be done, it has to be done by their leaders. What was KCR doing in his 30 yrs of office as an elected representative?

The last sentence of yours in the last two paras is a typical T rhetoric.

Your question "what is KCR doing" can be extending to Marri chenna reddy and all his predecessors. The fuedal bent of T leaders never paid serious attention to agriculture.

As I explained in another post, majority of the godavari waters that flow into AP are not very useful to T area as those flowws come from tributaries and join Godavari after Karimnagar and adilabad districts (in the forest area which is inaccessible).

Krishna waters do reach Nakgonda and Khammam and some of those areas are very well developed (vist Miryalaguda and Kodad).

lack of development in T area and seema are due to fuedal and factional politics. Blaming it on Andhra farmers is political populism. In fact there are few mandals in North T area that were agriculturally doing well due to the presence of coastal settlers.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm

truthbetold wrote:Telagana is boiling again. There seems to be some continuous distrubing activity over the last three weeks. KCR's statement of Kurnool and Anatapur districts to be added to the Telangana state is the most bizzare idea I heard in recent days. Hyderabad continuous to be the main bone of contention ( and occassionally water sharing also comes into picture).

Aren't they close to a President's Rule in AP now?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Your question "what is KCR doing" can be extending to Marri chenna reddy and all his predecessors. The fuedal bent of T leaders never paid serious attention to agriculture.

True. KCR, Marri Chenna Reddy, PV Narasimha Rao, Anajaih, Vengal rao and other politicians who are active now in the T movement: hanumanth rao, g venkata swamy, kk, jeevan reddy, etc etc. What were they all doing?

As I explained in another post, majority of the godavari waters that flow into AP are not very useful to T area as those flowws come from tributaries and join Godavari after Karimnagar and adilabad districts (in the forest area which is inaccessible).

Kaani avanni evariki kaavali? Backwardness in agriculture in the T region is because andhra farmers are stealing our waters. That what they want to believe. Ridiculous!

Krishna waters do reach Nakgonda and Khammam and some of those areas are very well developed (vist Miryalaguda and Kodad).

lack of development in T area and seema are due to fuedal and factional politics.

I agree

Blaming it on Andhra farmers is political populism. In fact there are few mandals in North T area that were agriculturally doing well due to the presence of coastal settlers.

I believe you. Coastal/andhra ppl are sincere and hard working. I've seen that in the migrant constuction workers who were living close to my home in hyd. Pretty impressed with them. Nothing like the local (telangana) workers who were such pani dongalu.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 pm

kinnera wrote:I heard that it is difficult to have the irrigation system at the high level areas of telangana (which most of them are) because water doesn't flow into those high areas even if dams are built and canals are made. One has to pump water up. And that is the problem. Coastal areas don't have that problem.
Hahaha. This is hilarious. I am sorry to say this, but this is no better than the nonsense spouted by KCR and his cronies!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 pm

kinnera wrote:Coastal/andhra ppl are sincere and hard working. I've seen that in the migrant constuction workers who were living close to my home in hyd. Pretty impressed with them. Nothing like the local (telangana) workers who were such pani dongalu.

Again, this is nothing better than what the TRS goons say.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down