Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which one would you choose?

+3
garam_kuta
CroMagnon
ashaNirasha
7 posters

Go down

Which one would you choose? Empty Which one would you choose?

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 am

Regarding buying a home -

1. Home in a very old but beautiful neighborhood, always in demand, with prices stable even in recession. House built in the 60's, smallish, (almost too small but can make do if you have to), nothing much to write home about, but with a lot of 'charm and character' Rolling Eyes as they like to say around here.

Excellent schools. Great central location, but not your typical suburb. Can't make a quick run to your neighborhood grocery or pharmacy or gas station. Everything is a few miles away. It seems like people want to keep the civilization away around here.

No desis around.

Will need to work your ass off to pay for that. Very expensive, and bordering on beyond your means.

2. Home in a new suburb. Clean, beautiful, new construction. Prices relatively affordable. Houses built in the 90's and 2000's, to on demand/custom built. Mcmansions, lot of space, nice kitchens and bathrooms (poster likes these very much!)

Schools decent but not comparable to #1. There will be a painful commute to work, no matter where ever that is. Typical suburb. Full of desis.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Which one would you choose? Empty Re: Which one would you choose?

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:46 am

for #2, the real estate wisdom is that if the desis are moving in, means it's a good school district....if the desis are moving in, means it'd become a better school district...

I would prefer 1, but only if it was also from a good distance from e'thing (my first house was all that).. .why the heck would the prices be so high if it's not close to anything? And how is it really central if e'thing is a few miles away?

If location is a pain at both the places, go for the newer construction.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:07 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:for #2, the real estate wisdom is that if the desis are moving in, means it's a good school district....if the desis are moving in, means it'd become a better school district...

I would prefer 1, but only if it was also from a good distance from e'thing (my first house was all that).. .why the heck would the prices be so high if it's not close to anything? And how is it really central if e'thing is a few miles away?

If location is a pain at both the places, go for the newer construction.

It is very close to a business district, about 5-6 miles away. All the convenience stores are also that much distance away, with a drive that can be pretty bad too.

I'm used to having at least a pharmacy, less than a mile away.

The businesses and the schools kept the prices in the obscene range. Also, I don't know if it's the zoning issues or whatever, but there's not much commercial penetration in the residential areas.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:22 am

ashaNirasha wrote:No desis around.

If in doubt, this should seal the deal.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:23 am

CroMagnon wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:No desis around.

If in doubt, this should seal the deal.

long time no see cro bro (cut out the bro if too ghetto)... how u been? where r u these days?

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:30 am

[quote="Tracy Whitney]long time no see cro bro (cut out the bro if too ghetto)... how u been? where r u these days?[/quote]

Cro Bro sounds cool.

Same... NJ/VA. Lost interest so stopped browsing. Checked out the forum today, saw a chance to say something bad about desis so jumped right in!
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am

here's ur another chance... heard this desi girl barfing in the restroom this morning, but she went inside the stall when she saw me...

5 minutes ago, saw her coming out of the restroom, and when I went in, there was vomit in one of the sinks! Ughs... when I was done, I washed my hands across the restroom, in the last sink... and while I felt ok since I have a high ugh tolerance, the permanent scowl in the mirror wasn't indicating so... I am sure I still have it on my face, even though I feel ok. oh, and she is a si..

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:45 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:here's ur another chance... heard this desi girl barfing in the restroom this morning, but she went inside the stall when she saw me...

5 minutes ago, saw her coming out of the restroom, and when I went in, there was vomit in one of the sinks! Ughs... when I was done, I washed my hands across the restroom, in the last sink... and while I felt ok since I have a high ugh tolerance, the permanent scowl in the mirror wasn't indicating so... I am sure I still have it on my face, even though I feel ok. oh, and she is a si..

you didn't congratulate her Shocked

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 am

LOL. The S or N prefix doesn't matter so long as the "I" suffix is there.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:52 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:here's ur another chance... heard this desi girl barfing in the restroom this morning, but she went inside the stall when she saw me...

you didn't congratulate her Shocked

I am still pretty traumatised.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 am

ashaNirasha wrote:Regarding buying a home -

1. Home in a very old but beautiful neighborhood, always in demand, with prices stable even in recession. House built in the 60's, smallish, (almost too small but can make do if you have to), nothing much to write home about, but with a lot of 'charm and character' Rolling Eyes as they like to say around here.

Excellent schools. Great central location, but not your typical suburb. Can't make a quick run to your neighborhood grocery or pharmacy or gas station. Everything is a few miles away. It seems like people want to keep the civilization away around here.

No desis around.

Will need to work your ass off to pay for that. Very expensive, and bordering on beyond your means.

2. Home in a new suburb. Clean, beautiful, new construction. Prices relatively affordable. Houses built in the 90's and 2000's, to on demand/custom built. Mcmansions, lot of space, nice kitchens and bathrooms (poster likes these very much!)

Schools decent but not comparable to #1. There will be a painful commute to work, no matter where ever that is. Typical suburb. Full of desis.

Questions to ask yourself
1. Do you really need good schools for about 5 to 10 years?
2. Can you stay in the same house (Spacious or crumpled) for that time frame?
3. Would you have the same stable job for that time frame? (if you are a contractor like Cro Magnon, forget it) [Remember you said you have to work your ass off]
4. Should you buy a house at this time? Or would you be happy to continue to rent?
5. Is the change of school for kids NOW is OK (middle of school year)?
6. If both wife and hubby don't work, would the resident spouse (housewife/husband) be happy staying home in the large or small place?
7. Do you really need to buy a house now or are you interested to buy becuase everyone does or you think you should.
8. Older houses may be great but inside you may need lots of repairs - leaks, appliances, carpet maintenance, plumbing and such, EVEN IF the house passes a successful inspection.
9. Do you have at least $10K to 30K as a cushion if anything goes wrong in the old house (roof can cost a lot for example, or painting inside can be a few grand).
10. How many houses have you seen so far to come to conclusion about these two? (should have seen at least 20).
11. Are you interested to buy just because you get a tax break? You can get equal tax break with standard deduction these days (and with kids)

My suggestion: If you really must buy a house, choose whatever you like, otherwise keep renting.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:32 pm

No desis around.

No brainer -- 1 for me. I hate typical suburbs.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:45 pm

If you have kids (or planning for kids), I would go for the best school system. Also, houses in good school districts appreciate better. It's win-win for the kids as well as parents.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 am

No desis around.

>>> Go with your gut feel as to what you like. BTW, as TW says with Indians around the school district is bound to get better. So, that should take that issue off the table in the decision-making process.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down