Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Jagjit Singh!

+4
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
chameli
harharmahadev
8 posters

Go down

RIP Jagjit Singh! Empty RIP Jagjit Singh!

Post by harharmahadev Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:25 am

"Hoton se choolo tum...mera geet amar kar do"

He was definitely a legend.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

RIP Jagjit Singh! Empty Re: RIP Jagjit Singh!

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 am

harharmahadev wrote:"Hoton se choolo tum...mera geet amar kar do"

oh no! what happened? Sad

edit: googled... man his voice is playing in my head right now... have seen him perform live back at home... can never forget that New Year's Eve, for reasons more than one.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:

He died.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 am

edit: googled... man his voice is playing in my head right now... have seen him perform live back at home... can never forget that New Year's Eve, for reasons more than one. .

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 am

oh dear dear ! My Mom loved him. Can still feel his ghazals resonating throughout the house
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:08 am

chameli wrote:

oh dear dear ! My Mom loved him. Can still feel his ghazals resonating throughout the house

When someone says they loved a singer, it's not politically correct to say, 'my mom loved him too'... sorta makes the original person feel a bit oldish... just saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
chameli wrote:

When someone says they loved a singer, it's not politically correct to say, 'my mom loved him too'... sorta makes the original person feel a bit oldish... just saying.

I meant to say I knew Jagjit Singh because of my mom

and old IS gold remember ?

Nothing as politically incorrect as the statment Ms Sasthi just made regarding North Indians ( that's long for NI I take it ? )
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 am

who are you chameli? NI or SI.. I take it as NI.. whenever I hear chameli, the song that plays in my head is, 'bela gulab juhi champa chameli'. I don't rememeber the rest of the song, but I remember this line. Not sure if this is a movie song, or something the women sung in my family during wedding sangeets...

Oh, and I am also reminded of the movie 'chameli ki shaadi'. One of my all time faves... can watch it even today uninterrupted.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am

Me .. an Indian at heart .

You I take it are a NI Sorry for her rant ..
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:37 am

chameli wrote:Me .. an Indian at heart .

misplaced punctuations... ju tineka?Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:55 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:whenever I hear chameli, the song that plays in my head is, 'bela gulab juhi champa chameli'.

lol, googled it.. it's this very famous DD ad..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHwX6f2GuAw

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:01 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:

chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Ha I am back again..finding it a bit tough to negotiate around the chat and the forum

I admit I am not the best typist in town but that's the way it is Rolling Eyes

Me Chameli only
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:36 pm

chameli wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

Ha I am back again..finding it a bit tough to negotiate around the chat and the forum

I admit I am not the best typist in town but that's the way it is Rolling Eyes

Me Chameli only

tineka was that hottie from Sulekha, right?

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Jagjit Singh was my fav singer and he lived a good life. i'll be listening to his songs alone today as a tribute. RIP jagjit singh

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 am

harharmahadev wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

He died.

Oh..what a man... he almost got me a date with a NW blonde airhostess (aka plane maid) once. The slim cutie sat next to me and started talking about India and about her desi friend plane maid. She said she always listened to Hindi music and Gazals (damn naarthie influence), and asked if I liked Jagjit Singh gazals. I was confused and asked her who was Jagjt singh.

Needless to say, the plane maid excused herself to serve coffee and pretzels.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 am

Jagjit Singh was the perfect antidote to the murderous road rage I'd feel driving around in Delhi. Unruly autorickshaw drivers, murderous blue-line buses, boorish Delhi drivers were all forgotten and perspective restored with Jagjit Singh's calming voice, spouting syruppy shairi about zindagi, ishq and dil in an infinite loop.

Here's an alltime favorite - Shabana looks so good.

Two other really nice numbers from Saher:

Here's a nice tribute in today's Mint: On the bus back to my friend’s barsaati, we sang like mad men. We drank till the wee hours of the morning...The city turned some of us lonelier by the day. We fell in love, suffered in love, lost our near and dear ones, made careers, or what is perceived to be a career. Our hair went grey. Emotions lost their edge. But on some balmy night, when there was no one else to go to, we would seek refuge in Jagjit Singh’s voice.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:25 am

seven wrote:Jagjit Singh was my fav singer and he lived a good life. i'll be listening to his songs alone today as a tribute. RIP jagjit singh

as a matter of fact, he lived a rather tragic life. if i remember it right, he had two sons one of which died as a kid and the other one as a teen in a car accident near marine lines. mumbai cricketer sairaj bahutule was also in the same car but escaped with injuries.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 am

Another Brick wrote:
seven wrote:Jagjit Singh was my fav singer and he lived a good life. i'll be listening to his songs alone today as a tribute. RIP jagjit singh

as a matter of fact, he lived a rather tragic life. if i remember it right, he had two sons one of which died as a kid and the other one as a teen in a car accident near marine lines. mumbai cricketer sairaj bahutule was also in the same car but escaped with injuries.

There's a movie waiting to be made here. Rich material for sure - talented sardar from the boondocks struggling to make it big in Bombay, meeting and romancing the beautiful, talented and married Chitra Dutta, their partnership, the rifts, the loss of a son, her becoming a recluse...Abhimaan redux.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:08 am

Another Brick wrote:

yes, AFAIR, chitra singh stopped singing after the son's death.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Another Brick wrote:

There's a movie waiting to be made here. Rich material for sure - talented sardar from the boondocks struggling to make it big in Bombay, meeting and romancing the beautiful, talented and married Chitra Dutta, their partnership, the rifts, the loss of a son, her becoming a recluse...Abhimaan redux.

trust ram gopal varma to announce the film in today or tomorrow's tweet.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:04 am

LOL
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:52 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:who are you chameli? NI or SI.. I take it as NI.. whenever I hear chameli, the song that plays in my head is, 'bela gulab juhi champa chameli'. I don't rememeber the rest of the song, but I remember this line. Not sure if this is a movie song, or something the women sung in my family during wedding sangeets...

Oh, and I am also reminded of the movie 'chameli ki shaadi'. One of my all time faves... can watch it even today uninterrupted.

ek chidiya. anek chidiya.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:13 am

nutmeg wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:...whenever I hear chameli, the song that plays in my head is, 'bela gulab juhi champa chameli'. I don't rememeber the rest of the song, but I remember this line. Not sure if this is a movie song, or something the women sung in my family during wedding sangeets...

Exactly my thought. Some nostalgia time:

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:56 am

Yeah. Full nostalgia for me too yday when I googled those lyrics and found this song.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 am

Never liked Jagjit Singh. All his songs sounded the same. You could stitch 5 songs together and I wouldn't know.

I once heard him sing Ghulam Ali's "Chupke Chupke." That traumatized me so much that for a while I couldn't even listen to a few of his ghazals that I really like (the ones from arth and saath saath).

My cousin's father-in-law looks almost like Jagjit Singh. The only difference is that he is a little smaller and a few shades darker.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:48 am

CroMagnon wrote:Never liked Jagjit Singh. All his songs sounded the same. You could stitch 5 songs together and I wouldn't know.

I once heard him sing Ghulam Ali's "Chupke Chupke." That traumatized me so much that for a while I couldn't even listen to a few of his ghazals that I really like (the ones from arth and saath saath).

My cousin's father-in-law looks almost like Jagjit Singh. The only difference is that he is a little smaller and a few shades darker.

you have way too many relative/friends who are celebrity look alikes, CH or outside. just an observation. just saying...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 am

Impedimenta wrote:you have way too many relative/friends who are celebrity look alikes, CH or outside. just an observation. just saying...

I have way too many relatives.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:53 am

CroMagnon wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:you have way too many relative/friends who are celebrity look alikes, CH or outside. just an observation. just saying...

I have way too many relatives.

no. that would be me. also, 90 percent of them secretly want to live in my home.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:01 am

Impedimenta wrote:
CroMagnon wrote:Never liked Jagjit Singh. All his songs sounded the same. You could stitch 5 songs together and I wouldn't know.

you have way too many relative/friends who are celebrity look alikes, CH or outside. just an observation. just saying...

who else? This is the first I heard cro mention this... I think so, coz I been eagerly waiting to pass on 'my-chachi-ki-bhabhi-ki-neighbor' title to someone else for a long time now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
nutmeg wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:...whenever I hear chameli, the song that plays in my head is, 'bela gulab juhi champa chameli'. I don't rememeber the rest of the song, but I remember this line. Not sure if this is a movie song, or something the women sung in my family during wedding sangeets...

Exactly my thought. Some nostalgia time:

aww!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down