Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship

+5
garam-kuta
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
swapna
ashdoc
9 posters

Go down

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship Empty INS Kochi---India's brand new warship

Post by ashdoc Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:41 am

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/inside-indias-new-and-deadliest-warship-1223971

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship Empty Re: INS Kochi---India's brand new warship

Post by ashdoc Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:06 am

in reality the kolkata class destroyers ( of which kochi is the second ship ) have problems---

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/on-ins-kolkata-pm-is-only-partially-correct-654566

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship Empty Re: INS Kochi---India's brand new warship

Post by swapna Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 pm

most importantly, the galley of the kochi includes an automated "dosa" maker. sailors snacking on "dosas" and slurping sambar on the high seas!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:10 pm

swapna wrote:most importantly, the galley of the kochi includes an automated "dosa" maker. sailors snacking on "dosas" and slurping sambar on the high seas!

Hahahahaha... You are the King of Humour...hahahaha

I tell ya...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:40 pm

dosa maker on INS Kochi

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship G9

more photos here---

http://www.ndtv.com/photos/news/on-board-indias-deadliest-new-warship-10-facts-20662#photo-263703

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:03 pm

firing of supersonic brahmos missile from kochi

INS Kochi---India's brand new warship 12079172_869949869749831_5488452311242897266_n

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:47 pm

the batters pours into a neat circle. kewl!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 pm

bw wrote:

what is surprising is that all of them are not uniformly roasted to the same color. You would expect that when they are machine-made.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Veeu wrote:
bw wrote:

what is surprising is that all of them are not uniformly roasted to the same color. You would expect that when they are machine-made.

maybe the oil sprayed for each one is not consistent?

how can one get an almost perfect circle when pouring from a certain height on to a moving "pan"! beats me. i should try that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:33 am

Interestingly, the control panel carries the legend "Control Panel for Dose Machine", which is the way the word is pronounced in Kannada, and not "Dosai" the way we have been led to believe it is pronounced in Tamil Nadu.

Considering that Sowbhagya, a ISO 9001:2000 Company, is headquartered in Erode, we should perhaps revisit some of the things we have been told by individuals who purport to speak on behalf of Tamilians.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Interestingly, the control panel carries the legend "Control Panel for Dose Machine", which is the way the word is pronounced in Kannada, and not "Dosai" the way we have been led to believe it is pronounced in Tamil Nadu.

Considering that Sowbhagya, a ISO 9001:2000 Company, is headquartered in Erode, we should perhaps revisit some of the things we have been told by individuals who purport to speak on behalf of Tamilians.

as i've said numerous times before, the kannada 'E' sound is phonetically very close to the tamil 'ai' sound.  in some circles closer to the karnataka border they become indistinguishable to the point where one could say it's a matter of preference of transcription. the morphing of one sound into the other can be heard very clearly in the delightful melange of kannada-tamil spoken by hebbar iyengars.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:11 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Interestingly, the control panel carries the legend "Control Panel for Dose Machine", which is the way the word is pronounced in Kannada, and not "Dosai" the way we have been led to believe it is pronounced in Tamil Nadu.

as i've said numerous times before, the kannada 'E' sound is phonetically very close to the tamil 'ai' sound.  in some circles closer to the karnataka border they become indistinguishable to the point where one could say it's a matter of preference of transcription. the morphing of one sound into the other can be heard very clearly in the delightful melange of kannada-tamil spoken by hebbar iyengars.
A typical Such discussion, evolving in a totally different direction from the original topic / title. I open the thread this morning to read about a new ship (INS Kochi) and find the ongoing debate on whether the correct way to pronounce / write "dosa" is "dose" or "dosai"? 
Next time I order a "dosa" in a restaurant in Canada, I will just call it "doseh!"
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:39 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

A typical Such discussion, evolving in a totally different direction from the original topic / title. I open the thread this morning to read about a new ship (INS Kochi) and find the ongoing debate on whether the correct way to pronounce / write "dosa" is "dose" or "dosai"? 
Next time I order a "dosa" in a restaurant in Canada, I will just call it "doseh!"
that is the correct pronunciation IMO from whatever bullshit i have learnt here. it is pronounced doseh from what i have heard in bangalore and maghzu's explanation of phonetic sounds good unless some tamilian in this forum can post a media file to let us know the exactu pronunciation of dosai. despite maghzhu's karnataka border defense, i suspect in tamil nadu dosai is pronounced as DOSAI (he he he) -- very very dippPPheRRant.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 pm

brie wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

that is the correct pronunciation IMO from whatever bullshit i have learnt here. it is pronounced doseh from what i have heard in bangalore and maghzu's explanation of phonetic sounds good unless some tamilian in this forum can post a media file to let us know the exactu pronunciation of dosai. despite maghzhu's karnataka border defense, i suspect in tamil nadu dosai is pronounced as DOSAI (he he he) -- very very dippPPheRRant.

HK, I have an explanation that you might perhaps understand better. This dish on a hotplate sighs when you pour the dough; and sighs again when you flip it. So it is "Dō Sigh". The Tamil pronunciation is thus accurate.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

HK, I have an explanation that you might perhaps understand better. This dish on a hotplate sighs when you pour the dough; and sighs again when you flip it. So it is "Dō Sigh". The Tamil pronunciation is thus accurate.

"dough" sighs? or "do" as in two? that will make it a hindi word (ayyo!).

anyway, isn't it batter and not dough? *nitpick mode*

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:31 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

HAHAHAAAHHAHAA! good one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down