Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Give your meaning in ordinary English

+2
goodcitizn
Seva Lamberdar
6 posters

Go down

Give your meaning in ordinary English Empty Give your meaning in ordinary English

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 am

(1)  You don't know nothing.

(2)  The parents had been predeceased by Mr. Smith.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Give your meaning in ordinary English Empty Re: Give your meaning in ordinary English

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 am

1. The sentence is merely a warning where "nothing" refers to the name of the dog which, if you don't know or are unfamiliar with, has a tendency to latch itself on your knee, pumping it in a rhythmic, gyrating fashion, until its moan soars into the upper register of canine ecstasy.

2. This sentence is from a student who attended a Hindi-medium school in the remote section of Bihar.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Give your meaning in ordinary English Empty Re: Give your meaning in ordinary English

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:44 am

goodcitizn wrote:1. The sentence is merely a warning where "nothing" refers to the name of the dog which, if you don't know or are unfamiliar with, has a tendency to latch itself on your knee, pumping it in a rhythmic, gyrating fashion, until its moan soars into the upper register of canine ecstasy.
ughhh goodcitizen. *puke* this broke ALL barriers. i think you should seriously consider using only whatsapp emoticons to express yourself. please don't write in english. please. if you do wish to write, use simple english. please do not use flourishes or go overboard to "express" yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 am

brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:1. The sentence is merely a warning where "nothing" refers to the name of the dog which, if you don't know or are unfamiliar with, has a tendency to latch itself on your knee, pumping it in a rhythmic, gyrating fashion, until its moan soars into the upper register of canine ecstasy.
ughhh goodcitizen. *puke* this broke ALL barriers. i think you should seriously consider using only whatsapp emoticons to express yourself. please don't write in english. please. if you do wish to write, use simple english. please do not use flourishes or go overboard to "express" yourself.

Am I to heed the advice from a man whose best accomplishment in the use of the English language is, "Rashmun, GET OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"? I think not.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:21 am

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

Am I to heed the advice from a man whose best accomplishment in the use of the English language is, "Rashmun, GET OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"? I think not.
to be honest, your reply does not make sense to me (i might be a dunce -- we/you will decide at the end of this argument)  -- sounds sort of a non-sequitur. if you could kindly explain by..... OK! by being more expressive? go ahead use dog, gyrating, ecstasy etc. i think i'll understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:46 am

brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

to be honest, your reply does not make sense to me (i might be a dunce -- we/you will decide at the end of this argument)  -- sounds sort of a non-sequitur. if you could kindly explain by..... OK! by being more expressive? go ahead use dog, gyrating, ecstasy etc. i think i'll understand.

I'd rather not get into an argument with you on this. Life is too short. If my writing is puke-inducing to you, so be it. Some of the dishes you post have a similar effect on me, so we are even on that score. Let's move on.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:(1)  You don't know nothing.

what's this? translate the sentences?

1- ghetto for 'you don't know anything' or 'you know nothing'

2 - I read that and went Question Exclamation I think it means,  "Mr. Smith died before the parents did".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

I'd rather not get into an argument with you on this. Life is too short. If my writing is puke-inducing to you, so be it. Some of the dishes you post have a similar effect on me, so we are even on that score. Let's move on.
it seems you are offended. and you have not taken my criticism well. i would definitely NOT change habits had you criticized my food pics. thus i can empathize why you shouldn't likewise. enjoy and keep posting! i have learnt in life that for every critic there are 10 admirers.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:(1)  You don't know nothing.

(1) that's just bad english; the correct statement is "you don't know nothin'" (note the absence of the terminal g.) a more refined variant is "you don't know nutt'n."

substituting "nothing" for "nothin'" is an affectation of many kids growing up in newly-affluent black families living in suburbia, who wish to emulate the more refined english of their caucasian peers.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:41 pm

brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

I agree GZ should use jimbal inglish. Bcz, you misunderstood that he was referring to you; but, he was referring to the one and only one. (BW...note the use of the semi-colon).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

I agree GZ should use jimbal inglish. Bcz, you misunderstood that he was referring to you; but, he was referring to the one and only one. (BW...note the use of the semi-colon).

is the comma after "but" necessary?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:23 pm

bw wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
brie wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
brie wrote:

I agree GZ should use jimbal inglish.  Bcz, you misunderstood that he was referring to you; but, he was referring to the one and only one. (BW...note the use of the semi-colon).

is the comma after "but" necessary?

the semicolons: You cannot hear them, but they are there, laying out the connections between the images and the ideas. Sometimes you get a glimpse of a semicolon coming, a few lines farther on, and it is like climbing a steep path through woods and seeing a wooden bench just at a bend in the road ahead, a place where you can expect to sit for a moment, catching your breath.
Commas can't do this sort of thing; they can only tell you how the different parts of a complicated thought are to be fitted together, but you can't sit, not even to take a breath, just because of a comma,
The commas are the most useful and usable of all the stops. It is highly important to put them in place as you go along. If you try to come back after doing a paragraph and stick them in the various spots that tempt you you will discover that they tend to swarm like minnows in all sorts of crevices whose existence you hadn't realized and before you know it the whole long sentence becomes immobilized and lashed up squirming in commas. Better to use them sparingly, and with affection, precisely when the need for each one arises, nicely, by itself.

From Thomas Wink - notes on punctuation

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. 
While both sentences seem grammatically correct, their interpretations / usages can be quite varying (even contradictory). 
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down