Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive

2 posters

Go down

NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive Empty NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 am

http://nytimes.com/2015/10/04/opinion/sunday/sonia-faleiro-india-free-speech-kalburgi-pansare-dabholkar.html?smid=pl-share&_r=1&referer=

Back to top Go down

NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive Empty Re: NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

The author provided lot of facts. Then uses them to come up with a Nazi India tale. The title and conclusion are exaggerated and lose credibility. I met many activists who oppose bjp in my recent trips to India. They are aware of rising danger of rss and bjp. But to characterize them living in fear of bjp would be an exaggeration. To say that secularists are living in fear for their lives is far fetched. It betrays the authors lack of knowledge of India and its political dynamics.

This story reminds me of concerted effort in news media that bjp is attacking churches in Delhi just before Delhi elections.

Rss and bjp are capable of great mischief but that does not mean Ny times has to spin exaggerated stories. It only weakens the fight against religious bigotry by reducing the credibility of nytimes. But nytimes does not care as its readers lap up such stories as truth.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive Empty Re: NY Times: In today's India, secular liberals face a challenge: how to stay alive

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:04 am

truthbetold wrote:The author provided lot of facts. Then uses them to come up with a Nazi India tale.  The title and conclusion are exaggerated and lose credibility. I met many activists who oppose bjp in my recent trips to India. They are aware of rising danger of rss and bjp. But to characterize them living in fear of bjp would be an exaggeration. To say that secularists are living in fear for their lives is far fetched. It betrays the authors lack of knowledge of India and its political dynamics.

This story reminds me of concerted effort in news media that bjp is attacking churches in Delhi just before Delhi elections.

Rss and bjp are capable of great mischief but that does not mean Ny times has to spin exaggerated stories. It only weakens the fight against religious bigotry by reducing the credibility of nytimes. But nytimes does not care as its readers lap up such stories as truth.

the NY Times article gave three specific examples of secular rationalists who have been killed Nazi style by Hindutva Chaddis--Dabholkar, Pansare, and Kalburgi.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 am

Ny times readers are not well informed about india or other emerging countries.  They will lap up these stories as they are not equipped to question the mischaracterization.  It suits Indian partisans and western bigots.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:31 am

truthbetold wrote:Ny times readers are not well informed about india or other emerging countries.  They will lap up these stories as they are not equipped to question the mischaracterization.  It suits Indian partisans and western bigots.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/trail-of-mobile-nos-links-killings-of-pansare-dabholkar-kalburgi/article7713541.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:57 am

Rash,

What are you trying to say with the news link provided?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:00 am

truthbetold wrote:Rash,

What are you trying to say with the news link provided?

what this particular NY Times article is saying is also being said by a large section of the Indian media--that secular rationalists are being killed by Hindutva Chaddis.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:33 am

truthbetold wrote:Ny times readers are not well informed about india or other emerging countries.  They will lap up these stories as they are not equipped to question the mischaracterization.  It suits Indian partisans and western bigots.
You and I are not well informed about Middle East i.e. their tribal loyalties & cultural affinity; did that ever stop us from passing judgments on them.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down