Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK-Indian MPs to donate pay hike for Modi's event

Go down

UK-Indian MPs to donate pay hike for Modi's event Empty UK-Indian MPs to donate pay hike for Modi's event

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:36 pm

LONDON: A group of Indian-origin British MPs on Tuesday pledged to donate the pay rise they will receive next month towards a major event to be held by Indian community for Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the iconic Wembley Stadium here. Britain's longest serving Indian-origin MP Keith Vaz has also written to the vice-chancellors of Leicester University and De Montfort University nominating Modi for an honorary degree as UK works to overshadow PM's recent visits to US and his welcome there.

In an exclusive interview to TOI, Vaz says that Modi's visit will be the UK's most important diplomatic visit this year:

Why did you decide to give up your pay rise and are you expecting more politicians to join in?

The reception for Narendra Modi in Wembley has to be one of the biggest and most important events for the UK-Indian diaspora. There was an appeal for funds and I thought I should contribute. I was delighted that the other MPs matched my offer. This event is not being funded by the British government and hence we all have to chip in.

Around 12% of those attending are over 65, and funds will be needed to pay for coaches to take them to and from the event.

How much is the pay increase in pounds that each of you have donated?

My pay rise for November will be just over £360 after tax and I will be donating it all.

Have you heard back from Leicester University or De Montfort University on conferring the honorary degree on Narendra Modi?

Not yet. At this point, I have only written to them and I hope they will say yes.

Leicester has the largest Indian community as a percentage of population of any city outside India, and our universities know just how important this visit is for the local community. In the past, De Montfort University presented Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan an honorary degree, recognizing his incredible contribution to global cinema.

How important is Modi's visit?

For Britain, probably the most important diplomatic visit this year. For the British-Indian community, it is the visit of a political rock star. How many other politicians could draw 60,000 people to Wembley Stadium? It will be a truly extraordinary occasion, and the diaspora simply cannot wait.

What are the other plans you have for him?

I think it is important that he comes to Westminster and makes an address in Westminster Hall in the House of Commons. I have no doubts that he will fill it to the capacity as we have done in the past for President Barack Obama and President Bill Clinton.

We are in the century of India and such an address will demonstrate the great relationship between our two countries, and between our Parliaments.

How should the ruling party (Conservatives) treat this visit and what should they focus on?

The government should use this time to strengthen relationship with India. We all support a stronger relationship with India and we will be united in our wish for Modi's successful visit.

Modi recently went to Silicon valley on a very important trip. Similarly what does UK have to offer?

We should offer something much more demonstrative. I would recommend the Belgrave Road, Leicester, which is regarded as mini-Gujarat. It would be wonderful for the Indian PM to feel at home even thousands of miles away from homeland.

Have Indians in UK become as influential in calling the shots in daily British life as they have been in the US?

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt. The influence of the Indian community is at the highest levels, be it business, healthcare or politics.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/nri/other-news/UK-Indian-MPs-to-donate-pay-hike-for-Modis-event/articleshow/49248009.cms

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down