Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My karva chauth

+6
Impedimenta
Another Brick
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Propagandhi711
CroMagnon
Bittu
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My karva chauth Empty My karva chauth

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Some background. I've never done karva chauth. Was preggo on my first one. And then I said it's not observed in marathis, so what's the point. Husband said there is some other day when women fast. But I've no idea what that festival is so how could I do it? Heh.

So anyway. Woke up at 10:30 am today. My annual med exam has been overdue for a month now. Decided today would be a good day. Sacrificed the tea. Drank some water, took a shower and headed out for the walk-in place that is supposed to be 10 minutes away.

Took me 70 minutes instead. There was a backup on a one lane road. Not unusual for a Saturday. Turned out that there was an accident. So turned around. The detour was backed up too. And so was the highway.

Came here. The waiting room is FULL. It's 12:45 pm right now. By the time I'm done with this joint and provided there is no more traffic it would be 2:00 - 3:00 pm. Also meaning that I had been fasting for almost 15 hours.

That's the closest I've ever been to doing a karva chauth (if you could ignore that 1 glass of water that I had in the morning).

How is ur karva chauth coming along?

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

My karva chauth Empty Re: My karva chauth

Post by Bittu Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm

I made omelete and panacake for TMB. She ate the pancake and will eat the omelete now.

I dislike rituals. Karva Chauth, Havans, New Home Puja...fuck all that.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Bittu wrote:I made omelete and panacake for TMB. She ate the pancake and will eat the omelete now.

hmm. She's never done it, stopped only recently, or does it randomly?

Well, this way or that, u did help her break her fast. Smile you will live long.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:29 pm

My wife fasts everyday at least 3 times for my long life; for approximately 4 hours, 6 hours and 12 hours.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:38 pm

CroMagnon wrote:My wife fasts everyday at least 3 times for my long life; for approximately 4 hours, 6 hours and 12 hours.

oh wow. She is one of those meals-only-no-snacking people. The ones I know who do that also have no weigt issues. Even though the meals that they do it are fairly big in proportions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:24 pm

ajeeb doc.. was questioning pretty much every test that I asked him to do. 'why do you want hba1c?', 'why do you want thyriod tests?'. 'why do you want ekg?' I mean last year some other (desi woman) doc had ordered all this for me by default, and that's why I was wondering why he isn't ordering. Atleast he ordered the iron tests, and that's coz they were very low last time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 am

My northie frens followed it religiously, without even drinking a sip of water until they viewed the moon past 9.30 pm. One of the husbands fasted along with his wife and all us ladies were in awe of him. The other women justified their husbands not following suit, with "My husband gets all cranky if he fasts. Can't stand that. I'd rather have him eat well than deal with his crankiness".

My husband wished that I had fasted for him. He would've been mighty pleased if I did. Told him not to have such expectations from me. Can't do it.

Our Goan catholic friend hosted a pot luck dinner at her home. Me took idlis and chutney. The ladies were all decked up in colorful sarees and jewelry. All the husbands (except the fasting one) and the non-fasting south indian women had wine and snacks until the moon was spotted. As a matter of courtesy, we waited until the fasting women broke their fast to have our dinner. Then had a nice dinner and came home around midnight. That's how my Karva Chauth went.

Everyone is raving abt last night's party on FB already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 am

that's cool kins.

btw, whose pic is in your profile?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 am

Me and my hubs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:30 am

kinnera wrote:Me and my hubs.

WOOOOWWWW.... you two look like a handsome couple in the thumbnail....share the full pic yaar... on chat if not here...

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 am

my left han...I mean second wife does karvachaut ewweryday

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Bittu wrote:I made omelete and panacake for TMB. She ate the pancake and will eat the omelete now.

How about New car Puja... When I see an already driven car parked at a temple and the priest doing a pooja on the car is the funniest of all.

A car driven over a lemon so that it does not become a lemon.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

How about New car Puja... When I see an already driven car parked at a temple and the priest doing a pooja on the car is the funniest of all.

A car driven over a lemon so that it does not become a lemon.

Maybe coz u don't believe in buying a NEW car itself Razz

Never done a new car pooja... phew. We did drive with one of the cars to the temple... don't remember which one. See that's why people should take more pics, or else e'thing gets blurred in the memory later.

Have done new home pooja, for the second one. Dunno why we didn't do it for the first one. Husband's heart was not in the first one. My heart was not in the second one. But still I think it was some sorta pressure from the fam to do it... Whether I believe in it or not, I remember feeling all good that day. That's what prayers are for. You feel good. That's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:45 pm

kinnera wrote:
Everyone is raving abt last night's party on FB already.

Heck...just now realized that I fasted practically all day y'day eating 2 slices of toast at 10 AM and 2 tubes of peanuts at 10 PM during my 6+2+6 hour driving trip yesterday...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:31 pm

[for kinnu aunty]

you and your hubs look like a swell couple. i had meant to compliment you two earlier but got distracted and forgot. wish you both lots of happiness in life. and lots of happiness to both your sons too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:[for kinnu aunty]

you and your hubs look like a swell couple. i had meant to compliment you two earlier but got distracted and forgot. wish you both lots of happiness in life. and lots of happiness to both your sons too.

Agree...both look like a match made for each other.

Would review in another 10 years....Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:45 pm

kinnera wrote:Me and my hubs.

I think I know you - a little bit and more about your hubs....

Try making the picture smaller....it is too large to view.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:57 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:[for kinnu aunty]

Agree...both look like a match made for each other.

Would review in another 10 years....Wink

you should have said this 10 years ago. they are both ready for the vanaprastha ashram now. you are weird.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
you should have said this 10 years ago. they are both ready for the vanaprastha ashram now. you are weird.

Haven't you heard the saying "Life starts at 40?" (make that 43 in the case of Kinny Auntie).

Besides, what do you think goes on in Vanaprastha Ashrams?...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks Huze and Uppi. Huze, I hope you didn't mean in size when u said 'swell' Razz. Btw, u asked me once what my handle was back in the day. One of my first handles was 'a mom'. If u remember a mom talkiing abt the darnest things her 5 yr old said, that's me. That kiddo is the headstrong, haughty teenager that i talk abt once in a while now.

Still a few more yrs for the vanaprastha ashram. *sigh!* Kids got to finish their education, na.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Haven't you heard the saying "Life starts at 40?" .

I have started believing this more and more. For last one year or so, I seem to like mostly ppl in their 40s, atleast early to mid 40s. And that includes all actors, singers, and people in real life. Mostly men, but women too.

20s is when they are full of anger, enthusiasm, creativity, and energy. 40s is when they get it all right. 30s to me now seems like the most confused and useless decade of life. Atleast the first 7 years of it. Maybe it is the most crucial one in getting it all right in the 40s, but in terms of attractiveness, I guess it's the most boring one. Even ppl close to my own age don't seem mature enough, well most of them. Maybe I feel so coz I am myself 38, but that's what I feel these days. Let's see how the mindset changes as I age along.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Haven't you heard the saying "Life starts at 40?" .

I have started believing this more and more. For last one year or so, I seem to like mostly ppl in their 40s, atleast early to mid 40s. And that includes all actors, singers, and people in real life. Mostly men, but women too.

Good...keep it going. I will be 101 yrs for a very longtime. One day you will like men who are in the 90s....and at that time I will be part of your fantasy world....Wink

Yesterday an 18 yr old hit on my 28 yr old assistant. When she told her age he said he liked older women. Then I told her she should have asked him if it would be alright to bring her 4 kids along for the "drink".

Looks like you are not a "cougher-type".

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:50 pm

LOL, no I am not cougar type at all. Maybe coz I have always had older siblings and cousins, and even friends.

I can hang out with younger people, but I mostly humor them and laugh at their antiques. I like them genuinely too, but I don't feel that connection that I feel with older and/or mature people.

Vot2do. Personal choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

30s to me now seems like the most confused and useless decade of life. Atleast the first 7 years of it. Maybe it is the most crucial one in getting it all right in the 40s.

I agree. For women, their mid-life crisis happens when they turn 30. That's the worst part of their life. They get more confident and comfortable with themselves by late 30s and by 40s, they're golden. This is what I tell my 30+ old cousins who are going thru a mid-life crisis: this is a passing phase, things get better as u go along. They find it hard to believe, but that's what it is.

For men, it happens a decade later.

Side note: Having kids at the right age also helps women to wade thru the m-l crisis more easily, methinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

hmm. She's never done it, stopped only recently, or does it randomly?

Well, this way or that, u did help her break her fast. Smile you will live long.

She did it the first few years. She'd feel listless by noon, irritable by 3pm and near passing-out by 7pm. Then she'd tell me what a huge sacrifice she's making just to ensure my long life. So I told her to cut it out because a) I don't give a SHYT about KC, b) fasting will do jackshytdiddly to prolong my life, c) I don't really need this drama and d) if you really want to make a huge sacrifice for me, take it up the bum once in a while and pretend that you're actually enjoying it.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:09 pm

I didn't know it was KC.

The kids and I went out and had a huge meal for lunch while he was busy with work. I sacrificed the dessert. Hope that counts for something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:20 pm

blabberwock wrote:I didn't know it was KC.

The kids and I went out and had a huge meal for lunch while he was busy with work. I sacrificed the dessert. Hope that counts for something.

May not be a whole lot, but it would've added at least a couple of yrs to his life span.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm

kinnera wrote:

May not be a whole lot, but it would've added at least a couple of yrs to his life span.

Oh, that's comforting that I did a bit of the wifely duties, albeit unwittingly.

By the way, nice picture!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Lol and thnx, blab.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:09 pm

kinnera wrote:

[b]

Then if you starve 24/7 continuously until your end, it surely will liberate him from all the wifely stress and add decades to his life....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:57 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Some background. I've never done karva chauth. Was preggo on my first one. And then I said it's not observed in marathis, so what's the point. Husband said there is some other day when women fast. But I've no idea what that festival is so how could I do it? Heh.

yeah, these MH women do that on the day of wat paurnima. they go and wrap a thread around the trunk of a banyan tree. and i think they fast. they also fast on the day of ganesh chaturthi despite having modaks around them. you make modaks, but you don't eat them. that's a true sacrifice. they call it haritalika wrat or some such.

MH men, like most other men, fast on the day that follows their wife's birthday.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 am

kinnera wrote:Thanks Huze and Uppi. Huze, I hope you didn't mean in size when u said 'swell' Razz.

ha ha, no. you know how "swell" is the quintessential american term to describe someone who is elegant or gallant (swell guy). so i thought it was appropriate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:07 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
I can hang out with younger people, but I mostly humor them and laugh at their antiques.

That's rude, Tracy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 am

hey, i have a karva chauth story as well. it involved my feet being washed with sandal wood paste and being fed delicious dosa[i]. basically i am the queen of karva chauth.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 am

Impedimenta wrote:...my feet being washed with sandal wood paste ...
Why was that necessary?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:52 am

Impedimenta wrote:hey, i have a karva chauth story as well. it involved my feet being washed with sandal wood paste and being fed delicious dosa[i]. basically i am the queen of karva chauth.

Hmm, I don't remember when were my feet washed with sandalwood paste, ever. Maybe during my wedding. But a lot of stuff was being done to me by randon women at the time, so I have lost count.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:53 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:my left han...I mean second wife does karvachaut ewweryday

If it's you she is doing it with.... it should be sweet chaut Razz
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:55 am

blabberwock wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
I can hang out with younger people, but I mostly humor them and laugh at their antiques.

That's rude, Tracy!

okokok, laugh WITH them at their antiques. Phew...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:00 am

Tracy Whitney wrote: okokok, laugh WITH them at their antiques. Phew...

wash your face and read it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:02 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

That's rude, Tracy!

okokok, laugh WITH them at their antiques. Phew...

thats "antics "to you and me

unless they collect the other kind Smile
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 am

there we go.. I been making WAY TOO MANY spelling mistakes. Time to download the m-w app on iphone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 am

here, let me rub it in.

you are dumb as a door tab tracy. Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:17 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:here, let me rub it in.

Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am

you are dumb as a door tab knob tracy. Evil or Very Mad
*Fixed*
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Embarassed

it's ok. even i have had such moments in ch. that should help you feel better. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:27 am

Hellsangel wrote:

you are dumb as a door tab knob tracy. Evil or Very Mad
*Fixed*

so like, I am dumb regardless? Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

Embarassed

it's ok. even i have had such moments in ch. that should help you feel better. Smile

actually, this spelling error was the funniest I have ever made... coz antiques meand old fashioned too, and I was talking of young people.

In my head I was thinking I was making a mistake, but was in too much of a rush to listen to that lil voice. When BW highlighted that, then too I thot it's probably a spelling error, but still I ignored it. Oh well, happens. Will be more careful now, or else this will become a trend, and I will become next Nisha!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:so like, I am dumb regardless? Sad

lol, "dumb" was an inalienable part of the phrase and i had wanted one that used "knob." maybe it was a bit harsh. Razz it's no fun picking on folks who are actually dumb...so there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:so like, I am dumb regardless? Sad

lol, "dumb" was an inalienable part of the phrase and i had wanted one that used "knob." maybe it was a bit harsh. Razz it's no fun picking on folks who are actually dumb...so there.

gee, this week is already starting out so swell.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:51 am

if it was a spelling "mistake" you would have immediately caught it when you read it again. but you didn't.

what's happening is that your village roots are taking over your brain. it's on a slide now. not much to do here, just accept it and blunder along...chalta hai...

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next