Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

colleges that inspire undergrads to develop into scholars and experts

2 posters

Go down

colleges that inspire undergrads to develop into scholars and experts Empty colleges that inspire undergrads to develop into scholars and experts

Post by swapna Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:51 am

ranked according to the percentage of the college's undergrads who go on to earn their ph.d. from  some university. at the top of the list for many majors are cal tech and harvey mudd college.

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/the-colleges-where-phds-get-their-start/

I first saw this list at - look, veeru! look! - ejmr.

swapna

Back to top Go down

colleges that inspire undergrads to develop into scholars and experts Empty Re: colleges that inspire undergrads to develop into scholars and experts

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:32 pm

swapna wrote:ranked according to the percentage of the college's undergrads who go on to earn their ph.d. from  some university. at the top of the list for many majors are cal tech and harvey mudd college.

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/the-colleges-where-phds-get-their-start/

I first saw this list at - look, veeru! look! - ejmr.

Thanks and I enjoyed this news item. I am not surprised to see any of these fine schools in the lists. However, I was surprised that schools like Swarthmore and William and Mary, are not in the list.

But, it is not surprising to see many going for PhD bcz the applicants to thiese schools are focused on Education (and not brand names), and come from affluent and influential families, and quite a well charted out long term plan. The admission rates run around 5 to 15% in these schools and naturally a very filtered system to start with.

If someone does a similar listing for "flagship" state universities and other state schools - which are forced to admit all and sundry, it will be more useful for the vast majority of commoners.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down