Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years

2 posters

Go down

Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years Empty Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years

Post by Guest Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:04 pm

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/tipu-greatest-kannadiga-in-500-years-says-girish-karnad/1/521954.html

Q. You said that your remarks on Tipu were casual, but wasn't it also a bit misguided? Especially since he is a polarising figure in Karnataka. Some see him as a tyrant, others as a patriot.
A. Well, I don't care. I call him a patriot. In fact, I would not use the word 'patriot', I think he was a great king, he was a great thinker, a great strategist, and he did so much for Karnataka. I stand by what I said. I admire him. I think he is one of the best Kannadigas we had in the last 500 years, after the fall of Vijaynagar. And how much he has done for the state, I don't need to repeat it, it's all been said.
Q. But there in another side to the Tipu historiography, which sees him as someone who persecuted Hindus. How do you respond to that? Because that is also at the core of this debate.
A. Yes, but he also slaughtered Moplas. The Moplas were not Hindus, they were Muslims. The rules of warfare in the 18th century were very different from what it is today. Kerala, Coorg, Mysore and Maharashtra were all considered separate countries. People now protest as an Indian, but no. That's why I called him a Kannadiga. Now, he has got an all India reputation. He was certainly ruthless in many of his movements. But then so were everyone else. Marathas were ruthless. That was what all armies did. I'm not blaming Marathas or Tipu. You can't judge Tipu now, in the 20th century for doing what he did in the 17th century. But what you can admire him for is what he brought to the country, what he brought to Karnataka.

Back to top Go down

Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years Empty Re: Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:55 pm

the greatest kannadiga in the last 500 years is saint purandara dasa who codified carnatic music pedagogy.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years Empty Re: Girish Karnad: Tipu Sultan was the greatest Kannadiga in 500 years

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the greatest kannadiga in the last 500 years is saint purandara dasa who codified carnatic music pedagogy.

Well..Girish Karnad is a biased Cong(i) intellectual idiot. There are hardly any kannidigas in the litrary field and he got the Karnataka quota.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Former Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader R. Ashok on Friday lashed a scathing attack to Playwright Girish Karnad as 'mentally retarded' for comparing Tipu Sultan with Maratha warrior Chhatrapathi Shivaji.

Ashok lashed out at Karnad in a relentless manner, Questioning the logic behind Karnad's comparison of Tipu with Shivaji, he said, "His statements prove that Karnad is mentally retarded."

http://www.catchnews.com/national-news/playwright-girish-karnad-is-mentally-retarded-bjp-leader-r-ashok-1447426271.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down