Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the Mughals to Modernity

3 posters

Go down

From the Mughals to Modernity Empty From the Mughals to Modernity

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 pm

From the Mughals to Modernity: India's Democracy and Its Discontents

Y45.1060
Credit: Global Affairs
This course provides an overview of India's rise in the global system. Topics provide (1) an understanding of the enduring influence of the Mughal Empire, British colonialism, including dilemmas of domination, (2) India's emergence as a modern nation, particularly its experiences with independence and partition, and the evolution of India's democratic system. (3) The dispute with Pakistan over Kashmir and the pursuit of nuclear technology are explored given the subcontinent's emerging role, in contrast to China, as a world power. The voices of Indian colleagues and the use of new technologies to illuminate our understanding of content, particularly in terms of security defined in the domestic, regional and international contexts, figure prominently in our learning about contemporary issues in a pluralistic society. (4) Federal-state relations, the institutional impact and legacy of the Constitution of 1950, (5) recent legal reforms and their significance for direct foreign investment, (6) the role of political parties and the influence of dynasty politics, (7) the changes in the Indian economy since the Singh reforms and the implications for development on the subcontinent, (Cool, (9), (10) challenges India faces in corruption, health, and infrastructure, (11) key issues related to demographics and regional disparities, (12) the on-going relevance of caste in Indian society, (13) information technology advances, and (14) the significance of the media in state-society relations figure prominently in our analysis and discussions.

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/course-detail/Y45.1060/20111/from-the-mughals-to-modernity-indias-democracy-and-its-discontents

-------------

This sounds like an interesting course.

Back to top Go down

From the Mughals to Modernity Empty Re: From the Mughals to Modernity

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:[size=18]From the Mughals to Modernity: India's Democracy and Its Discontents

So why don't you take it?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:[size=18]From the Mughals to Modernity: India's Democracy and Its Discontents

So why don't you take it?

because i fancy i could, with a little self study, teach this course. this course is meant for people like you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:

because i fancy i could, with a little self study, teach this course.
HA HA HA! You already do! To either a very somnolent or a very iconoclastic audience.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

because i fancy i could, with a little self study, teach this course.
HA HA HA! You already do! To either a very somnolent or a very iconoclastic audience.

iconoclasm is fine. but your kind of schoolboyish iconoclasm is just plain annoying. every now and then one feels like twisting your ears. of course this is just a feeling--i would never act on it since i do not believe in corporal punishment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:
iconoclasm is fine. but your kind of schoolboyish iconoclasm is just plain annoying. every now and then one feels like twisting your ears. of course this is just a feeling--i would never act on it since i do not believe in corporal punishment.

Yes, professor.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Yes, professor.

i suggest we don't start doing silly name calling. otherwise it would quickly degenerate into a slugfest with people calling you names like shikhandi, etc. as i recall you dislike being called Shikhandi despite your reluctance to reveal whether you are male or female.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:

i suggest we don't start doing silly name calling. otherwise it would quickly degenerate into a slugfest with people calling you names like shikhandi, etc. as i recall you dislike being called Shikhandi despite your reluctance to reveal whether you are male or female.

Good night, Upadhyaji! The Saamiyar might discourse in a bit.

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Alright, the first fight in the new CH!! bounce
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2011 11:10 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Good night to you too Natarajan ji. i realize that the absence of Luke ji and Seva ji on this forum is being felt keenly by you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Wow! That is a good guess on my last name!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 06, 2011 12:40 am

rashmun, like some character in a long forgotten sitcom once said "come on man....you're living in the past, man". who cares if akbar walked on three legs? most hindus dont consider mughal history as part of their history. they will always be seen as outsiders and ppl will always be against hindu-muslim synthesis as you see it.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down