Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hugging the nanny

4 posters

Go down

hugging the nanny Empty hugging the nanny

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am

In three days the shame has worn off a bit, so I can share this story now.

All of this is coz I can never remember a face. Went to some relative's place for a b'day party. Too many people there. The host had said some of her cousins, aunts, uncles will be there too. So I went with that mindset. Went into the living room, found some elders I knew. Touched their feet, hugged, etc. Went into the kitchen.

On the table were sitting this old acquaintance in the far end of the round table, and some elderly lady on the right side of the table, and looked familiar. Seeing me she smiled as if she knows me, and started to get up. She looked familiar, so I thought must be aunt of the host, so I went ahead and began touching her feet.

Then it struck me something is wrong. She held me, so I thought ok, she wants a hug. So I began the slow motion of hugging her. And then she said, 'you sit here, I will get some other chair'.

THAT's why she was getting up. To give me the chair. She was the nanny, not the aunt. And she looked familiar coz I had seen a dozen pictures of her. At this point e'body is looking at me confused as to, 'what is tracy drinking today?'. So anyway, some quick thinking on my part. I changed my half-hug action to a 'I am passing you by so that I could go to hug my other friend' action.

Then I went to the friend and opened my arms wide. So wide, that she had to get up to hug me. I have known her for 15 years, and was meeting her after maybe one year (in fact I HATE her coz she didn't invite me for a couple of close family events, so I had stopped inviting her too), and I swear, this is the first time I may have hugged her this openly.

The nanny though, was bowled over. The rest of the evening, she kept coming to me to stand by me and talk to me. In fact when my husband entered the kitchen (he has met her before), and said a very polite namaste. The nanny whispers to me, 'you both have such good sanskars'. I could just merely nod back at her.

Then she thanked me for sending my clothes to her, and that it's so nice to finally meet someone whose clothes she has been wearing for a year. Rang a blank in my head. Then my aunt reminded me how last year she had taken some of my hand-me-downs to give to this aunty. And I am like, 'oh ya ya ya'.

The misery didn't end here. Met a couple of other cousins and friends who i didn't recognize at all. And one of the cousins was like, 'I met you at their ann. party'. And I am going in my head, 'whose ann. party did I go to, and when'. Slowly though, I was able to make the connection, and asked him about his brother who I had met more. Situation saved. No wonder I am known as a haughty-taughty one in my husband's extended family. i.e. among in-laws of my in-laws. I can't frikking rememeber anyone.

Then there was this another girl. I had trouble recognising her too. I asked her, 'Hi. I believe we have never met before. I am tracy'. Upon further talks, it turned out I had participated in her baby shower one frigging year ago.

When cousin bil went to make a drink for me, there was no light drink there, only rum and stuff. So I asked him to get me just coke. Then I went out and saw him pouring a lil vodka in my cup. He had poured just a little, I made him pour upto half the cup, and added coke to it.

So badly needed that drink to partially foget my gaffe (s). Still took another 3 days to finally be able to come to terms with all this.

I need serious therapy. Sachchi.

Back to top Go down

hugging the nanny Empty Re: hugging the nanny

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 am

can't edit anymore... I also iditotically hugged ewwwweryone I met that day, to display my overall hugging and loving nature, which is NOT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:can't edit anymore... I also iditotically hugged ewwwweryone I met that day, to display my overall hugging and loving nature, which is NOT.

Could have well be me. I am so notorious in recognizing faces... only worse. I would talk to someone for 30 min and see the same person at another place after 2 hours and I would not recognize them. The goofups are numerous to count... but then, I never cared and people knew that I had to meet someone 4 or 5 times over a period of time for me to remember.

BUT, although I never recognize the face, once I recognize I reel off every word of the conversation that I ever had with them - and it would be their turn to get embarrassed.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:27 am

Tracy Whitney wrote: I also iditotically hugged ewwwweryone I met that day, to display my overall hugging and loving nature, which is NOT.

Did anyone die of breathlessness because of this tight hugging? :-p Just asking coz you said you opened up so wide and (also doing exercize to lose weight). Just asking.. Smile

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

BUT, although I never recognize the face, once I recognize I reel off every word of the conversation that I ever had with them - and it would be their turn to get embarrassed.

same here. I need a small story to go with e'face and name for me to r'ber about them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote: I also iditotically hugged ewwwweryone I met that day, to display my overall hugging and loving nature, which is NOT.

Did anyone die of breathlessness because of this tight hugging? :-p Just asking coz you said you opened up so wide and (also doing exercize to lose weight). Just asking.. Smile

no no. just that my height and weight makes me look overbearing. I am gentle otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:54 am

tracy ,

i dont know where this concept of hugging just -about- everybody -one- sees comes from

it has been overly done these days

See what happened to you ?

he he I can well empathize ( another US word I hate )

On the other hand a slow Alzeimers may be making its way

Go get tested ...there is an eyecheck that can give early warning signs
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:21 pm

i remember people if isee them where they belong. like i will remember the boys' basket ball teacher and greet him when i see him at the playground but when i see him in the mall talking to my mom about something n lookin at me like he knows me very well I couldn't remember where I know him from. I was wondering the whole time which TV show I know him from or which movie he acted in and howcome he knows my mom!! later when my mom told me who he was lol we both coulnd't stop laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm

seven wrote:i remember people if isee them where they belong. like i will remember the boys' basket ball teacher and greet him when i see him at the playground but when i see him in the mall talking to my mom about something n lookin at me like he knows me very well I couldn't remember where I know him from. I was wondering the whole time which TV show I know him from or which movie he acted in and howcome he knows my mom!! later when my mom told me who he was lol we both coulnd't stop laughing.

in first year, this guy had doen a parody of ME on stage. his signature look was a hat he wore. I hated him all 4 years of college, coz he had humiliated me, but had he come to me w/o hat, I might have made him my friend.

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:45 pm

seven,

he he I can well relate to that

Like if I saw Prince Charles in the sabzi mandi I would pass him without a second look

Au contraire I once went up to Robert Vaughn the Hollywood actor in a California upscale market and took a few minutes telling him who he resembled closely

Vaughn was patient enough to give me the time of day
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
seven wrote:i remember people if isee them where they belong. like i will remember the boys' basket ball teacher and greet him when i see him at the playground but when i see him in the mall talking to my mom about something n lookin at me like he knows me very well I couldn't remember where I know him from. I was wondering the whole time which TV show I know him from or which movie he acted in and howcome he knows my mom!! later when my mom told me who he was lol we both coulnd't stop laughing.

in first year, this guy had doen a parody of ME on stage. his signature look was a hat he wore. I hated him all 4 years of college, coz he had humiliated me, but had he come to me w/o hat, I might have made him my friend.

LOL ohkkk this is wat u were syaing on chat and i didnt know wat u were talkin abt Smile)

i was trying to relate to sth i said on chat (based on ur post) n understand wat u meant Smile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

chameli wrote:seven,

he he I can well relate to that

Like if I saw Prince Charles in the sabzi mandi I would pass him without a second look

Au contraire I once went up to Robert Vaughn the Hollywood actor in a California upscale market and took a few minutes telling him who he resembled closely

Vaughn was patient enough to give me the time of day

that is so cool...its awesome! i met shabana azmi n javed akhtar once :d

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:can't edit anymore... I also iditotically hugged ewwwweryone I met that day, to display my overall hugging and loving nature, which is NOT.

Could have well be me. I am so notorious in recognizing faces... only worse. I would talk to someone for 30 min and see the same person at another place after 2 hours and I would not recognize them. The goofups are numerous to count... but then, I never cared and people knew that I had to meet someone 4 or 5 times over a period of time for me to remember.

the quintessential age of ninety five doesn't come without its challenges Cool
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:26 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:

Absolute,

Tracy with her innate good nature was doing the Heimlich manouver on everyone who was hogging at the party but being modest told no one Question
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:37 pm

I stopped touching feet anymore. It happened like very recently that I was in this function (in desh it is not party) and this gril touched my feet and I felt like throwing up and realized that it's horrible experience and stopped doing the same. I hug only close friends and I have a very few.

LOL at your embarrassment.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 pm

Sasthi wrote:I stopped touching feet anymore. It happened like very recently that I was in this function (in desh it is not party) and this gril touched my feet and I felt like throwing up and realized that it's horrible experience and stopped doing the same. I hug only close friends and I have a very few.

you felt like throwing up when sm1 touched your feet? there is some major spelling mistake with you, sasti.

touching feet n taking blessings from elders comes so naturally to people ( indians) idk wats wrong with u.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Blah! I didn't like it. It was awkward and felt weird. It doesn't make sense to give blessings when I don't want to...

LOL I am not touching someone else's feet for blessings. I pray God for blessings. I don't teach my kids to get blessings in that manner. If blessings are passed that way....so many ppl are way so and too much blessed.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:33 pm

seven,

They are a celebrity couple I like both although in spite of being a second wife he he Shabana talks out of turn at times

Javed is smart looking ...his son Farhan even better
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:42 pm

sasthi/seven

Although I want to ...I do" feet touching "of elders very awkwardly .

Firstly I'm not sure I should say .." Ready or not here I come " Smile

If I don't they may not even be aware of what the hell I am doing way down on the ground .

If I do it and they make a face then what?

Many a time I have touched their shoe/chappal and they have recoiled

All these thoughts go through my head ..and the act doesnt become respectful anymore .

Some youngsters just wave in the air and mutter pranaams

Must say the process has become mechanical
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:In three days the shame has worn off a bit, so I can share this story now.

On the table were sitting this old acquaintance in the far end of the round table, and some elderly lady on the right side of the table, and looked familiar. Seeing me she smiled as if she knows me, and started to get up. She looked familiar, so I thought must be aunt of the host, so I went ahead and began touching her feet.

Then it struck me something is wrong. She held me, so I thought ok, she wants a hug. So I began the slow motion of hugging her. And then she said, 'you sit here, I will get some other chair'.

THAT's why she was getting up. To give me the chair. She was the nanny, not the aunt. And she looked familiar coz I had seen a dozen pictures of her. At this point e'body is looking at me confused as to, 'what is tracy drinking today?'. So anyway, some quick thinking on my part. I changed my half-hug action to a 'I am passing you by so that I could go to hug my other friend' action.

So like you completed touching her feet, then you half-hugged her and then pretended to hug your other friend? This part is not very clear. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:03 pm

chameli wrote:sasthi/seven

Although I want to ...I do" feet touching "of elders very awkwardly .

Firstly I'm not sure I should say .." Ready or not here I come " Smile

If I don't they may not even be aware of what the hell I am doing way down on the ground .

If I do it and they make a face then what?

Many a time I have touched their shoe/chappal and they have recoiled

All these thoughts go through my head ..and the act doesnt become respectful anymore .

Some youngsters just wave in the air and mutter pranaams

Must say the process has become mechanical

never happened to me that i touch sm1's feet and they made a face. well i agree its more mechanical where we barely touch their feet or like u said shoes smtimes (actually we are supposed to hold and press their feet while they touch our head to bless) but it still sth I would do and teach my kids simply bcz its so humbling and respectful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 pm

They are a celebrity couple I like both although in spite of being a second wife he he Shabana talks out of turn at times

she is a little dash i agree. she was making faces whn we asked to take pictures with us but javed akhtar obliged. farhan akhtar was good in Rock On and his Dil Chahta Hai is my fav but he is otherwise just ok. not my kinda guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 pm

she is a little dash i agree. she was making faces whn we asked to take pictures with us but javed akhtar obliged. farhan akhtar was good in Rock On and his Dil Chahta Hai is my fav but he is otherwise just ok. not my kinda guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Sasthi wrote:Blah! I didn't like it. It was awkward and felt weird. It doesn't make sense to give blessings when I don't want to...

LOL I am not touching someone else's feet for blessings. I pray God for blessings. I don't teach my kids to get blessings in that manner. If blessings are passed that way....so many ppl are way so and too much blessed.

that's why i said there is something seriously wrong with you. when sm1 touches their feet, ashirwad comes naturally to people. they bless you almost reflexively. there is noway u dont want to bless them at that time (ofcoz you dont).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Sasthi wrote:I stopped touching feet anymore. It happened like very recently that I was in this function (in desh it is not party) and this gril touched my feet and I felt like throwing up and realized that it's horrible experience and stopped doing the same. I hug only close friends and I have a very few.

the entire chat-SI junta made me believe that touching feet is a NI only tradition... so what's with you STOPPING to touch feet? When, where and WHY would you touch feet when it's not in your tradition?

why can't you SI's get your story together. so confusing no.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:04 pm

It depends. SI ppl may not touchy feety all the time. But these days we live in multi cultural society and few think it's fahionable to blend in.

I was raised to touch our family elders during bdays, special days and on diwali days. We will be rewarded with money, so...that was fun.

I always touched my Mom's feet on exam days. Used to touch my MIL and she just doesn't say anything so stopped it. My FIL used to reward with some money...since he is no more, that's that.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Sasthi wrote:It depends. SI ppl may not touchy feety all the time. But these days we live in multi cultural society and few think it's fahionable to blend in.

I was raised to touch our family elders during bdays, special days and on diwali days. We will be rewarded with money, so...that was fun.

I always touched my Mom's feet on exam days. Used to touch my MIL and she just doesn't say anything so stopped it. My FIL used to reward with some money...since he is no more, that's that.

But....but....do you touch your husband's feet?

Be a Good Tamil girl (now dont argue with me) and remember "KanavanaE Kann Kanda Theivam"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

I used to touch his feet during special days but these days I don't and I know why and that info is highly classified.

Do all Tamil girl touch their husband's feet?! If so - I pity them.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down