Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you drop

2 posters

Go down

Do you drop  Empty Do you drop

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:04 pm

your kid off at the building and let them find their way or would you accompany them all the way and ensure that they're safe and all set? I'm talking about the occasions where the kid was auditioning for band or taking a test or giving a performance at a new location/school.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Do you drop  Empty Re: Do you drop

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 pm

for SATs, drove there, saw there was a big line outside, so dropped off.  

For performances when they younger, mostly had to be there ourselves too, so went in. 

For basketball, etc practices for younger, went in to see where it was. can't leave them alone in a dark closed school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:your kid off at the building and let them find their way or would you accompany them all the way and ensure that they're safe and all set? I'm talking about the occasions where the kid was auditioning for band or taking a test or giving a performance at a new location/school.

I guess the kid has a cell phone. Ask the kid to txt you on reaching the spot/location. If you see a lot of other people i the building, it is fine. Or for the sake of peace, you simply accompany.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:for SATs, drove there, saw there was a big line outside, so dropped off.  

For performances when they younger, mostly had to be there ourselves too, so went in. 

For basketball, etc practices for younger, went in to see where it was. can't leave them alone in a dark closed school.
I was talking about 11, 12 year olds or older. My theory is it will not only make them tough but also will help them acquire the skills necessary to be successful later in life.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:your kid off at the building and let them find their way or would you accompany them all the way and ensure that they're safe and all set? I'm talking about the occasions where the kid was auditioning for band or taking a test or giving a performance at a new location/school.

I guess the kid has a cell phone. Ask the kid to txt you on reaching the spot/location.  If you see a lot of other people i the building, it is fine. Or for the sake of peace, you simply accompany.

I began this practice before they had a cell phone; cell phone doesn't help them figure out their way inside the building, only human interaction will.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:05 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:for SATs, drove there, saw there was a big line outside, so dropped off.  

I was talking about 11, 12 year olds or older. My theory is it will not only make them tough but also will help them acquire the skills necessary to be successful later in life.

sometimes, going in is not for the kid themselves, but for the other adults in charge of receiving them. that handshake is equally important, or else some of them flip out, especially for kids under 12. if i am dropping son late to school, i don't get out of the car, but wait till he has been buzzed in, and some adult has possibly seen me.

edit: and in my case, i am pretty vocal about figuring out the way, so they are equally involved. sometimes lead too, or at least learn the problem solving from me, as needed. if the child has an initiative, they will have you know when you are being redundant. begins happening automatically by 7th grade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down