Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities

+4
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Seva Lamberdar
Thanjai Nalankilli
8 posters

Go down

NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities Empty NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities

Post by Thanjai Nalankilli Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:17 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/opinion/the-right-wing-attack-on-indias-universities.html?_r=0

Thanjai Nalankilli

Back to top Go down

NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities Empty Re: NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 am

The implication of this headline and post is that India's Universities are Left Wing and left leaning.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities Empty Re: NY Times: The Right Wing attack on India's Universities

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:50 am

it's interesting that taseer, hardly a leftist, and who at one point of time seemed smitten by modi has gradually changed his opinion.

sad what's happening at BHU.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Left wing politics are a scourge of Indian universities that deserve to be eradicated like a disease.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Left wing politics are a scourge of Indian universities that deserve to be eradicated like a disease.

to be replaced by what? people in charge with no scientific temperament whatsoever, or worse still who combine that with authoritarianism?

I must not have seemed sufficiently appalled. Mr. Tripathi tried a different tack. He said, on hearing of my connection to an American publication, “Tell me, can you, being a professor in America, criticize the American government?” Yes, I answered. He tried again. “Can you,” he thundered down the line, “being a professor in America, teach what is against America’s interests?” I remembered a professor at Amherst College, my alma mater, who had once compared George W. Bush to Osama bin Laden. “Probably,” I said. “Well, maybe you can in America,” he said with disgust. “But you can’t do it in India.”

I had one last question. I had seen the vice chancellor recently at a religious event celebrating the university’s centenary, where the presiding pundit had claimed that ancient India possessed the science of gestational surrogacy. “We had these technologies, too,” the pundit said, “but over the course of a thousand years of slavery we forgot them. Or, rather, we were made to forget them.” Mr. Pandey, a man of science, had told me that Mr. Tripathi and his ilk were of the same mind as the pundit and even believed ancient India had possessed aircraft and ballistic missiles.

I had to ask. Did the vice chancellor really believe this? “I still say it,” he said defensively. I asked him to explain further. He said this was not a conversation to be had on the telephone. He would show me all the evidence later. The line went dead.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:59 pm

This is Newton's law at play here. After years of trying to ram left wing ideology down the throats of university administrations, the left wing ranters have to deal with this extreme. At some point it will balance out.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:11 pm

[quote="MaxEntropy_Man"]

to be replaced by what? people in charge with no scientific temperament whatsoever, or worse still who combine that with authoritarianism? [quote]

Experts who are blind to the happenings in places like JNU for the last 60 years tend to be brilliantly Sikular.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's interesting that taseer, hardly a leftist, and who at one point of time seemed smitten by modi has gradually changed his opinion.

He might not be a left wing, but he is not very smart. He is trying to put down the long ago founder of RSS as a Hitler admirer, without realizing, perhaps not even knowing, that Hitler at one time (especially prior to WWII) had many admirers, friends and partners all over the world, including leaders in Western Europe and North America who collaborated and made deals with him.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's interesting that taseer, hardly a leftist, and who at one point of time seemed smitten by modi has gradually changed his opinion.

He might not be a left wing, but he is not very smart. He is trying to put down the long ago founder of RSS as a Hitler admirer, without realizing, perhaps not even knowing, that Hitler at one time (especially prior to WWII) had many admirers, friends and partners all over the world, including leaders in Western Europe and North America who collaborated and made deals with him.
Adding Hitler in the NYT story from BHU was a sleight of hand. These NYT bastards... I tell ya Smile

Those days.... yes in those days when NYT article claims RSS founder admired Hitler, the same NYT used to praise Hitler.

NYT had love affair with Hitler Stalin

These bastards at NYT, scooping up such articles today and their followers here Smile don't spare a second to think about early days of Hitler's widespread acceptance. They pickup a brush and paint everyone every which way they want by just bringing up Hitler.

PS: To these people: Are you a good father like Osama bin Laden was to his children? I'm sure OBL was a good father. Would you compare yourself to him.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:This is Newton's law at play here. After years of trying to ram left wing ideology down the throats of university administrations, the left wing ranters have to deal with this extreme. At some point it will balance out.

it's not just the lefties who have to deal with it. righties, centeries, uppies, and downies, basically everyone who attends these universities have to deal with this extreme. the question is -- are people here comfortable sending their children to study at a university where the vice chancellor believes that ancient indians had invented ballistic missiles and gestational surrogacy?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:This is Newton's law at play here. After years of trying to ram left wing ideology down the throats of university administrations, the left wing ranters have to deal with this extreme. At some point it will balance out.

it's not just the lefties who have to deal with it. righties, centeries, uppies, and downies, basically everyone who attends these universities have to deal with this extreme. the question is -- are people here comfortable sending their children to study at a university where the vice chancellor believes that ancient indians had invented ballistic missiles and gestational surrogacy?
People at JNU deal with the other extreme all the time. So what makes you think they won't deal with this?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

A University supposedly being a site of intellectuals will certainly have all kinds and students will be influenced by any and all groups. That happens in BHU or JNU or Harvard or Austin (or Georgia Tech). Every Govt/administration (that too in India) try to stack its faculty with their own. in TN colleges and Universities are loaded with quota based people and the Vice-Chancellors are all DMK/ADMK leaning Dickheads.

It is only natural that BJP replaces the Lefty, anti-hindu fashion secularist retirees with right wing hindutva people. If the Commies and CONg(i) can load with its own people why not the BJP/RSS. Oh, BTW, what goes on in Christian missionary run colleges is no secret and no one objects to that ? Why ? dont their faculty paid by Govt funds ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Higher learning institutions such as JNU , HCU and most major state universities ( IIMs and IITs are higher technical learning institutes and are not to be confused with universities) tend to be progressive as it is a congregation of young minds. That can be seen world wide. It is good that they are progressive and they should act as proponents of future thinking.

South and east of India are far from RSS orbit. Western/northern India will see a fight between RSS and others. But I have not heard of many progressive bastions in the western India. Delhi has very strong RSS 'intellectual' concentration. South and east Indian students tend to keep the progressive balance in Delhi. The battle will be fought in Delhi.

One should not confuse congress goons, or laloo's minions, or didis rowdies, or religious die hards of aligarh as progressives. They are just selfish political opportunists waiting for their turn to loot india.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down