Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F-ing office gossips!

4 posters

Go down

F-ing office gossips! Empty F-ing office gossips!

Post by SomeProfile Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 am

I updated my LinkedIn profile with my most recent projects. Soon after, a recruiter from a company X contacted me, offering a job to work on a similar project at X. I was intrigued and wanted to explore further. I have this colleague Mr B who is a social media whore, the type with 500+ friends on Facebook and 600+ contacts on LinkedIn. Noticed on his LinkedIn profile that he has a couple of connections in company X, in the very same department where I was being offered a job. I casually asked him if he had any contacts in company X that I could talk to. He said he didn't know anyone and asked me why I was checking. Instead of just giving some lame excuse, I told him about the recruiter from X contacting me. Mr B is the only person to whom I mentioned anything about this. Within days of this conversation, everybody in my company is coming up to me asking if I am leaving my current job and telling me that they heard I am joining company X. Mind you, I have not even gotten back to the recruiter myself. I am so fucking pissed. I don't know how this rumor will affect my current job. If there was going to be a rumor about me, why not a Sulekha-style rumor about me banging the hot admin chick on the 14th floor?

Not sure how to handle this situation and how to handle Mr B. He lies to me about not knowing anybody in company X and then spreads exaggerated rumors to half the company. One thing I know - I am not going to share anything more with that gossip Mr B.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

F-ing office gossips! Empty Re: F-ing office gossips!

Post by charvaka Fri May 06, 2011 1:02 am

SomeProfile wrote:Not sure how to handle this situation and how to handle Mr B. He lies to me about not knowing anybody in company X and then spreads exaggerated rumors to half the company. One thing I know - I am not going to share anything more with that gossip Mr B.
Obviously you shouldn't share anything more with him. Thing is, he may not even know anyone at X personally. At least not enough to put a random colleague in touch with them in the context of a job search. If he's a social media whore as you say he is, he probably just sends out random invites and connects to people whom he barely met. The real problem with his behavior is telling everyone that you are thinking of quitting. Now you should try in earnest to quit. If you do end up staying, you have to tell your boss that you don't intend to quit. Don't see any value in confronting B about it, particularly if he is at a higher level in the company than you are.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 am

well there is a saying in hindi, muh se nikli baat paraai. meaning once its out ur mouth, it no longer belongs to u.
be very careful abt wat u say to who(m)

tell ppl at work its not true and dont talk to Mr. B about it again. call the recruiter if u are interested in exploring.

hth

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri May 06, 2011 1:14 am

charvaka wrote:If he's a social media whore as you say he is, he probably just sends out random invites and connects to people whom he barely met.
Yes, I guessed as much.

charvaka wrote:Don't see any value in confronting B about it, particularly if he is at a higher level in the company than you are.
Yes, he is higher up, but not in the same chain. He was/is always friendly and encouraging. That is why I even felt confident enough to check with him and share with him.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 am

charvaka wrote:Don't see any value in confronting B about it, particularly if he is at a higher level in the company than you are.
Yes, he is higher up, but not in the same chain. He was/is always friendly and encouraging. That is why I even felt confident enough to check with him and share with him.[/quote]

Is he an american? I bet he is. They are the ones who are experts in double-faced behavior. The more an american smiles, the more careful and suspicious you should be about that person.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri May 06, 2011 2:16 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Is he an american? I bet he is. They are the ones who are experts in double-faced behavior. The more an american smiles, the more careful and suspicious you should be about that person.

LOL, no! He is a Naarth Indian. But I'll remember your advice about American smiles. Does that apply to American chicks also?

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 06, 2011 12:55 pm

you had me going there for a while. i erroneously read the title with an "in the" in the title before i read your post.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 06, 2011 1:10 pm

SomeProfile wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

LOL, no! He is a Naarth Indian. But I'll remember your advice about American smiles. Does that apply to American chicks also?

American's chicks are a double-Enigma... sometimes it is a + and the same thing some other time is a -ve.

Remember the Seinfeld episode, where he repeats something that his GF says often becomes offensive to her? One of my friends said this. His secretary used the F-word often. and once he used the F-word it led her complaint to the HR.

BTW, a co-worker out of the blue asked me "if I wanted to go for a drink at the downtown Cinco de maya after work (I work till 10pm)." Of course, I dodged her saying something. Who knows what she meant really. I did not dwell on it as she is a co-worker and also her hubby is a cop who shows up at the work place often. Pretty nice 20+ guy (and I am slowly learning about the police jobs and their inner workings - so believe me when I say something in the future).

In anycase, I have multiple "Ananda Nirvana" sessions with my female disciples, there was no need for me to go after this "misguided blonde 30 yr old disciple."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down