Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM."

5 posters

Go down

"All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM." Empty "All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM."

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:11 am

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

"All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM." Empty Re: "All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM."

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 am

hmm... holly/bollywood handsome ramanujan and wife.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

"All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM." Empty Re: "All us Indians be like- THAT'S OUR HOMEBOY. I PLAYED CRICKET WITH HIM."

Post by Hellsangel Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:hmm... holly/bollywood handsome ramanujan and wife.
Never happy are you, Il Professore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:44 am

If only Ramanujan's mom had allowed his wife to go along with him, he wouldn't have gotten so ill, so homesick and yearned so much for indian food. His wife would have cooked and taken good care of him and maybe he wouldn't have died so young! MILs!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 am

Kinnera wrote:If only Ramanujan's mom had allowed his wife to go along with him, he wouldn't have gotten so ill, so homesick and yearned so much for indian food. His wife would have cooked and taken good care of him and maybe he wouldn't have died so young! MILs!!!

and then they would have settled there, and had kids, who charged up their credit cards, or whatever they could charge up in those times, something like 75 dollars for frikking mani and pedi. Sad Sad Or 6-10 dollars bubble tea every frikking day. Not one cup, but two, because, 'I don't know which flavor i would like more. You can have this one, i didn't like it much'. Sad Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:51 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:If only Ramanujan's mom had allowed his wife to go along with him, he wouldn't have gotten so ill, so homesick and yearned so much for indian food. His wife would have cooked and taken good care of him and maybe he wouldn't have died so young! MILs!!!

and then they would have settled there, and had kids, who charged up their credit cards, or whatever they could charge up in those times, something like 75 dollars for frikking mani and pedi. Sad Sad Sad Sad
$75 for a mani and pedi? Shocked I'm glad I don't have a daughter  tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:08 am

Kinnera wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

and then they would have settled there, and had kids, who charged up their credit cards, or whatever they could charge up in those times, something like 75 dollars for frikking mani and pedi. Sad Sad Sad Sad
i edited my comment above.. this is how the texting went this morning (excerpts):

Me: Your nails need 75 dollars service in 2 days? What the heck is that
she: mani and pedi. yeah i won't go to the mall any more, it's too expensive.
(the mall is my cheapest place btw)
Me: nail salon 1, 25 dollars. nail salon 2, 50 dollars. Why do you have to go twice in 2 days.
She: Why aren't you understanding? I don't get it. Pedi one day, and mani yesterday. The first one doesn't do good Manis.
Me: Mani is 50? I have never paid more than 30.
She: I don't get your type of Manis lol. I get acrylic and I had to get a new set. I get a new set 4 times a year so those visits cost more. Others are just refills.
Me: You need to stop being out so much and stop buying 5-6 dollars drinks every day
She: Fine you never had a problem before but okay. I guess I can't buy my face wash either?
Me: You never spent this much before. Can't you see the difference?
She: Actually I have cut down a lot. Now you're getting at me for small things.
Me: You needed that bubble tea yesterday? Really? 6 dollars for 2 sips?
She: I have to buy a season pass for 6 flags. Is that not allowed too?
Me: Stop your bloody sarcasm. We need to have a talk about money spendings. The wise kind. Or go read up yourself if buying so many drinks and ice creams is a good idea or not.
She: Money Spendings? I have cut down on clothes and make up. How does food count?
Me: All the food you buy in supposedly small amounts, firstly they add up and secondly a super bad health choice. taking in empty calories at the cost of healthy ones... 

and yet another lecture on diet and health ensued, that promptly fell on deaf ears. When we are both the same height, and she weighs just a little more than a feather, and i weigh just a little less than a truck. But that's not the point sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:12 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:

and then they would have settled there, and had kids, who charged up their credit cards, or whatever they could charge up in those times, something like 75 dollars for frikking mani and pedi. Sad Sad Or 6-10 dollars bubble tea every frikking day. Not one cup, but two, because, 'I don't know which flavor i would like more. You can have this one, i didn't like it much'. Sad Sad Sad Sad

AFAIK, left to Ramanujan himself, when he was awarded 20 pounds, he wrote to the vice Chancellor of Madras University to donate 15 every time, toward buying books and making them freely available to poor school children, and provide the rest 5 pounds for his parents, signing off as 'your humble/obedient servant'.

aside : we all are products of our times - that includes MILs. mainstream folks mostly uncritically accept, and are/were compelled to live by the culture of their times. it riles you only when the educated, and informed ones choose not to do the right things.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:48 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

AFAIK, left to Ramanujan himself, when he was awarded 20 pounds, he wrote to the vice Chancellor of Madras University to donate 15 every time, toward buying books and making them freely available to poor school children, and provide the rest 5 pounds for his parents, signing off as 'your humble/obedient servant'.

aside : we all are products of our times - that includes MILs. mainstream folks mostly uncritically accept, and are/were compelled to live by the culture of their times. it riles you only when the educated, and informed ones choose not to do the right things.
besides, its not just the question of cooking but availability of indian food and groceries. current generetion of immigrants will not understand.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:25 am

He fell sick soon after he set foot in England. Diet or the lack of it would not cause an illness like he had. He perhaps had something going. All that people know is about his diet and people are blaming on it. Perhaps, one should dig into his father/grandfather health to get a new line of thinking.

Those who went overseas in those days went alone for years (in ships mostly) and wives usually stayed back. I know of a person who went to Northwestern in the early 60s - by ship - leaving his wife behind with kids. He returned after 3 years. That was common.

MM's Mani Pedi: You have a thing coming. May the Force be with you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:31 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

He fell sick soon after he set foot in England. Diet or the lack of it would not cause an illness like he had. He perhaps had something going. All that people know is about his diet and people are blaming on it. Perhaps, one should dig into his father/grandfather health to get a new line of thinking.

Those who went overseas in those days went alone for years (in ships mostly) and wives usually stayed back. I know of a person who went to Northwestern in the early 60s - by ship - leaving his wife behind with kids. He returned after 3 years. That was common.

MM's Mani Pedi: You have a thing coming. May the Force be with you.
Yeah...at least his wife would've nursed him when he got sick. And the poor thing yearned for some decent vegetarian indian food. Yeah, you are right about people traveling abroad in those times. His mom actually was against sending even him overseas until the goddess instructed her to do so in her dream. Can't imagine her giving permission to his wife to go along. I read his wife's interview a long time back. She regretted her MIL and didn't have many nice things to say about her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:37 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

i edited my comment above.. this is how the texting went this morning (excerpts):

Me: nail salon 1, 25 dollars. nail salon 2, 50 dollars. Why do you have to go twice in 2 days.
She: Why aren't you understanding? I don't get it. Pedi one day, and mani yesterday. The first one doesn't do good Manis.
She: I don't get your type of Manis lol. I get acrylic and I had to get a new set. I get a new set 4 times a year so those visits cost more. Others are just refills.
Me: You need to stop being out so much and stop buying 5-6 dollars drinks every day
She: Fine you never had a problem before but okay. I guess I can't buy my face wash either?
Me: Stop your bloody sarcasm. We need to have a talk about money spendings. The wise kind. Or go read up yourself if buying so many drinks and ice creams is a good idea or not.
She: Money Spendings? I have cut down on clothes and make up. How does food count?
Me: All the food you buy in supposedly small amounts, firstly they add up and secondly a super bad health choice. taking in empty calories at the cost of healthy ones... 

and yet another lecture on diet and health ensued, that promptly fell on deaf ears. When we are both the same height, and she weighs just a little more than a feather, and i weigh just a little less than a truck. But that's not the point sigh.
She reminds me of my barbie kid cousin here. The pampered ABD princess daughter of parents who earn well Smile. Yeah...more is yet to come. My kid cousin wouldn't buy anything which doesn't have a brand name...michael kors, chanel, dolce and all that stuff. Be prepared  tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Meghna Mathur wrote:

She reminds me of my barbie kid cousin here. The pampered ABD princess daughter of parents who earn well Smile. Yeah...more is yet to come. My kid cousin wouldn't buy anything which doesn't have a brand name...michael kors, chanel, dolce and all that stuff. Be prepared  tongue

maybe someone will eventually do a research on it, but I blame it on the youtubers. they make money posting self help or make up tips. Big companies pay them to showcase their products, which they do, either right upfront, or very subtly. "I used this for my eye shadows, I got this from here, but you can use anything of your choice". And there we go. Eye makeup isn't complete unless you have all the products and the tools.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Kinnera wrote:

This is true of MOST ABCD girls and a smaller number of ABCD boys (who will end up with their brand-name girls).

My economic condition is now even worse and now shop at Goodwill stores.

P.S. when I made that "secret-daughter" post I was near your home... Did not realize that until later.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:P.S. when I made that "secret-daughter" post I was near your home... Did not realize that until later.
Are you saying that you were in ATL and you didn't tell me that? We could've met for coffee and gossiped, no?  tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:P.S. when I made that "secret-daughter" post I was near your home... Did not realize that until later.
Are you saying that you were in ATL and you didn't tell me that? We could've met for coffee and gossiped, no?  tongue

Oh yes..of course... But Ms. Universe meeting me over a coffee is more likely to happen..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down