Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visiting NYC

+4
Appalamma
swapna
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

Visiting NYC Empty Visiting NYC

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:07 am

Somebody wants to visit NY and want some advice from current/ex residents of new york and new jersey. As booking a hotel in time square is expensive, they want to book it elsewhere and are wondering which place will be better. Will it be better to book the hotel (only Marriott, as they have some points that they can use) somewhere near the train station in new jersey and commute to NY by train? If so, around which station? Or, are there places in/close to ny where they can get the hotels for a reasonable price? They'll be staying for three nights and two days. What are all the important/interesting places that they can cover in two days? Any input will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Back to top Go down

Visiting NYC Empty Re: Visiting NYC

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:16 am

someone booked Mariott Marquis for us recently... is decent rate wise and great location wise, times square. 

what to do, depends on your interests... there is statue of liberty, ground zero/freedom tower, empire state building, central park, wax museum, and of course other big museums (natural history, arts, intrepid, etc) if you into them. a broadway show if you into them. food of course will be great. Check out Macy's near Penn Station for shopping. They give 11% discount for out-of-staters (or atleast used to when i worked there).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:21 am

Meghna Mathur wrote:someone booked Mariott Marquis for us recently... is decent rate wise and great location wise, times square. 

what to do, depends on your interests... there is statue of liberty, ground zero/freedom tower, empire state building, central park, wax museum, and of course other big museums (natural history, arts, intrepid, etc) if you into them. a broadway show if you into them. food of course will be great. Check out Macy's near Penn Station for shopping. They give 11% discount for out-of-staters (or atleast used to when i worked there).
Yeah, the time square one will be ideal, if it works out. But, looking at other options if it doesn't. This will be sometime in mid august, not now. Hopefully, there will be some good deals by then.
 Statue of liberty, ground zero, empire state building, central park and natural history museum seems like an interesting list of places to see, if can be covered in two days.
Heard a lot about the awesome food, esp street food. Any recos?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:26 am

a three day visit to NYC cannot be complete without taking in a jazz concert at the lincoln center:

http://www.jazz.org/events/2015-16-season/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a three day visit to NYC cannot be complete without taking in a jazz concert at the lincoln center:

Agreed (fully). Also, it wont be complete without a stroll down the streets of the historic Bedford-Stuyvascent area.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:42 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:a three day visit to NYC cannot be complete without taking in a jazz concert at the lincoln center:

ha...the jazz lover! Smile. Thanks for the reco. Will think about it. We have seen some authentic jazz shows in new orleans. Fell in love with that place and will be go there again!
You are such a jazz lover! Nola is the place for you. I think you need to visit it some day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:43 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Agreed (fully).  Also, it wont be complete without a stroll down the streets of the historic Bedford-Stuyvascent area.
Noting the places down. Thnx.

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:56 am

quite likely an unsuitable suggestion. most indians don't like jazz, western classical music, the opera, the ballet, or m.o.m.a. they'll like empire state building and the statue of liberty. there's a small chance that they'll like the cloisters.

one of the most interesting places in nyc a couple of decades ago was the trading floor of the n.y. stock exchange. I doubt if it's now as frenzied as then.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Agreed (fully).  Also, it wont be complete without a stroll down the streets of the historic Bedford-Stuyvascent area.

lol!

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:22 pm

for anyone who has some interest in architecture, design, or historic preservation, grand central station, especially the interior.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:25 pm

swapna wrote:

quite likely an unsuitable suggestion. most indians don't like jazz, western classical music, the opera, the ballet, or m.o.m.a. they'll like empire state building and the statue of liberty. there's a small chance that they'll like the cloisters.

one of the most interesting places in nyc a couple of decades ago was the trading floor of the n.y. stock exchange. I doubt if it's now as frenzied as then.
You are quite right. Taking my younger son along. I guess he'll be bored to death with all the operas, jazz and classical music....or maybe not. He learned violin for five years and played for his school orchestra. So he has been introduced to western classical music and may actually enjoy the shows. who knows! As a member of the school orchestra, he was taken to the concerts around here by his school. He didn't accompany us to new orleans. So we don't know. 

He will surely like the historic museums. That i am sure. He was chosen as the Governor's scholar for history in high school.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Kinnera wrote:

lol!
Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:34 pm

Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

You are quite right. Taking my younger son along. I guess he'll be bored to death with all the operas, jazz and classical music....or maybe not. He learned violin for five years and played for his school orchestra. So he has been introduced to western classical music and may actually enjoy the shows. who knows! As a member of the school orchestra, he was taken to the concerts around here by his school. He didn't accompany us to new orleans. So we don't know. 

He will surely like the historic museums. That i am sure. He was chosen as the Governor's scholar for history in high school.
He also stood first at the state level in science olympiad, in Physics (thermodynamics) and in chess, he got the award for winning the maximum number of games among all the high school students in the state level team chess championship tournaments. 

I think that's enough bragging for now Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 pm

oh you are going... cool. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Meghna Mathur wrote:oh you are going... cool. Smile
Yeah, on our way back from india. We are stopping over in Dubai for five nights (and four days) and in ny for three nights/two days. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
swapna wrote:

He also stood first at the state level in science olympiad, in Physics (thermodynamics) and in chess, he got the award for winning the maximum number of games among all the high school students in the state level team chess championship tournaments. 

I think that's enough bragging for now Razz
all that is very creditable. you deserve to brag. congratulations to son and parents!

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:26 pm

the new york public library.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:34 pm

swapna wrote:all that is very creditable. you deserve to brag. congratulations to son and parents!
Aaww! Thanks, Swapna Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Wasn't it obvious from the beginning?

The only con here is NYC has a lot of things to see - walking and "train"ing all over it is so so tiring. To do that on your return from an Indian trip (hectic) followed by 5-days of Dubaian desert heat (at 115F +), flying for 12 hours into NYC and then 3-days of hauling around in NYC?

Guess the mind is often oblivious of the body's skills. Sure one can do it, but it is going to be like driving across Siberia.

Thanks but no thanks... and good luck.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Wasn't it obvious from the beginning?

The only con here is NYC has a lot of things to see - walking and "train"ing all over it is so so tiring. To do that on your return from an Indian trip (hectic) followed by 5-days of Dubaian desert heat (at 115F +), flying for 12 hours into NYC and then 3-days of hauling around in NYC?

Guess the mind is often oblivious of the body's skills. Sure one can do it, but it is going to be like driving across Siberia.

Thanks but no thanks... and good luck.

point... dubai to ny is 12-14 hours indeed. in that case, i would say, plan to chill more than to sightsee. Forget big energy consuming locations. Chill in central park, time square, etc. Catch the local scene, etc... or add ground zero and maybe catch a museum if you get energy the second day, and call it a trip. Statue of Liberty is overrated anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Appalamma Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:00 pm

NYC is a big shopping district! Having said that NYC has very good museums. Times square an interesting place. Visit Brooklyn. It is far more interesting than Manhattan. Don't forget to have a bagel there.

Food is a mixed bag. variety is good, but the vegetables are tasteless.

Appalamma

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:02 pm

i r'ber the first time we flew in from india, dad and i, and mom joined us from chicago. we reached in the afternoon and stayed with an aunt in Queens. The next day XH came over again and drove us to NYC so that we could get Canadian visas for Niagara Falls. After standing in the lines there, when we reached the counter, we realized mom could not get it coz she forgot to bring the immigration form that they give when entering US.. I90? So, none of us got it and came out. Then we soaked in the city for some time. Went to statue of Liberty. XH wanted to take us to WTC, but mom and dad were EXHAUSTED by now. So we came back. Funnily that year i didn't get jet lagged for even a day.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Hmm...visiting Dubai, remember, there is no such thing as a moderate muslim.

BTW, hop on hop off bus service is a very good way to get around in nyc. Do bargain (50%) on the daily passes.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Appalamma wrote:NYC is a big shopping district! Having said that NYC has very good museums. Times square an interesting place. Visit Brooklyn. It is far more interesting than Manhattan. Don't forget to have a bagel there.

Food is a mixed bag. variety is good, but the vegetables are tasteless.

Kinny is a guilt just landing in NYC after a 5-day Gold shopping spree in Dubai...

NYC shopping is Jijubi...

MaCY's and Shopping and Liberty Statue (standing in line for hours - may need token obtained prior to the visit.

That too with the "little" son ??? he will make it a point never ever to go on a trip with mommy ever again...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:43 am

stay in brooklyn... nice and quiet, and commute to manhattan.

chelsea piers, manhattan.
concert in lincoln centre. not jazz.
cloisters & both museums.

Last edited by brie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:44 am

swapna wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH, excuse me, HAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAA! HOW ABOUT CHELSEA PYRES INDIO?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:07 am

Kinnera wrote:
Yeah, on our way back from india. We are stopping over in Dubai for five nights (and four days) and in ny for three nights/two days. Smile
>>>Dubai is hot as hell. Do the dune safari.. pretty cool. In NYC, one day for the touristy things like Statute of Liberty, Empire State, wall street, hop- on hop- off bus, the park etc etc. I like the area around the UN.  If you are so inclined, see if you can get tickets for Broadway. Very fun vibrant city. Used to love going there back in the day. Food-- all kinds of places. Hot dogs from street vendors, pizza from hole in the wall joints. Keep scouring the net for hotel deals. Since you have a few month's time, you should be able to find something in Manhattan. If not, Brooklyn or Queens could be options too.

P.S. Don't even think about renting a car. This is a city for walking and also has great public transportation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Courtyard Mariott @ Newport Jersey City

Just across the River Hudson. 24-hr PATH Train Service puts you in both downtown or midtown NYC within 15-30min.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Danke schon for all the suggestions, advice, warnings and all. Appreciate it mucho. Will keep those in mind while making the plans. Thanks again!

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Have a fun trip!

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:24 pm

seven wrote:Have a fun trip!
Thank you!

Back to top Go down