Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan

+2
garam_kuta
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan Empty araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8xuc_-2VL4

that is part 1; you can follow the rest on youtube.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan Empty Re: araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am

I wish to know from you why the spelling of N.Ram is not N.Rama. Is it customary for tamil brahmins to spell the name as Ram instead of Rama?

Back to top Go down

araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan Empty Re: araar asaipadaar - a documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 am

Rashmun wrote:I wish to know from you why the spelling of N.Ram is not N.Rama. Is it customary for tamil brahmins to spell the name as Ram instead of Rama?

see my response to the sami yaaru in his Name Change post if that would make your day.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:55 am

Rashmun wrote:I wish to know from you why the spelling of N.Ram is not N.Rama. Is it customary for tamil brahmins to spell the name as Ram instead of Rama?

what does this have to do with the documentary on sanjay subrahmanyan?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

sanjay subrahmanyan spells his name as sanjay and not sanjaya.just like N.Ram spells his name as Ram and not Rama. this disproves your oft repeated claim that only north indians drop the 'a' at the end of the name.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 am

if you want to continue that discussion do it in the appropriate thread. this thread is about music.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:04 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if you want to continue that discussion do it in the appropriate thread. this thread is about music.

u are right. i apologize.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:21 am

Not at all. His full name would be something like Narasimhan Ramanujan Iyengar. But since Marx and his followers frown upon the caste system, and those horrible DK ruffians targeted TamBrahms in particular, the `Iyengar' was first dropped. And then, young Ramanujan found that having a four syllabic name was a hindrance when it came to scoring with white chicks flocking to India in search of spiritual enlightenment. So he shortened it to 1.5 (technically one) syllables, causing his twice-born ancestors to squirm in their heavenly abodes at this grave travesty.

But the difference between SIs and NIs is that the former will pronounce the name as it is spelt. Every Indian script provides a facility (virama in Sanskrit) for truncating the last consonant to drop the attached vowel. So N. Ram has the option of spelling his name as Ram or Rama in any Indian script, depending on how he'd like his name to be pronounced. It is only the Hindi-speakers who drop the vowel even if he spells it as Rama. (PS: Having said that, I committed the same error a couple of weeks back when I addressed an Anantha as Ananth. `It's Anantha,' he gently - almost apologetically - corrected me.)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Not at all. His full name would be something like Narasimhan Ramanujan Iyengar. But since Marx and his followers frown upon the caste system, and those horrible DK ruffians targeted TamBrahms in particular, the `Iyengar' was first dropped. And then, young Ramanujan found that having a four syllabic name was a hindrance when it came to scoring with white chicks flocking to India in search of spiritual enlightenment. So he shortened it to 1.5 (technically one) syllables, causing his twice-born ancestors to squirm in their heavenly abodes at this grave travesty.

But the difference between SIs and NIs is that the former will pronounce the name as it is spelt. Every Indian script provides a facility (virama in Sanskrit) for truncating the last consonant to drop the attached vowel. So N. Ram has the option of spelling his name as Ram or Rama in any Indian script, depending on how he'd like his name to be pronounced. It is only the Hindi-speakers who drop the vowel even if he spells it as Rama. (PS: Having said that, I committed the same error a couple of weeks back when I addressed an Anantha as Ananth. `It's Anantha,' he gently - almost apologetically - corrected me.)

i once took Max's advice too seriously. i was giving a presentation and referred to one of the people in the audience as Vasantha (VasanthA) a few times before everyone. Later this all tamil guy requested me to refer to him as Vasanth. He said that Vasantha is a female name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I am sure you often say in your class "there is no such thing as a stupid question," although you know otherwise.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:40 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I am sure you often say in your class "there is no such thing as a stupid question," although you know otherwise.

in my opinion, only an individual with low I.Q. would ask this question:

What is your opinion when you find someone has changed his name?

Do you agree?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:19 am

Rashmun wrote:
i once took Max's advice too seriously. i was giving a presentation and referred to one of the people in the audience as Vasantha (VasanthA) a few times before everyone. Later this all tamil guy requested me to refer to him as Vasanth. He said that Vasantha is a female name.

hahaha.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:37 am

blabberwock wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

hahaha.

the male equivalent is vasanthan and perhaps that's the original, although a nil/anomalous occurrence among Tambrahms IMO

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Not at all. His full name would be something like Narasimhan Ramanujan Iyengar.
But since Marx and his followers frown upon the caste system, and those horrible DK ruffians targeted TamBrahms in particular, the `Iyengar' was first dropped.
Saar, i salute you for your incisive and illuminating remarks.
lol! @ Marx and NRI. I gather it is very true that the K'dhi and DKheads targeted Tambrahms who were petrified to disclose their identity & had to mutilate/amputate their names for survival [/b] Crying or Very sad but at least not as tragic as the african names, totally erased from memory, decimated without a trace in the brave new world that is lasting even today Rolling Eyes Mad .

And then, young Ramanujan found that having a four syllabic name was a hindrance when it came to scoring with white chicks flocking to India in search of spiritual enlightenment. So he shortened it to 1.5 (technically one) syllables, causing his twice-born ancestors to squirm in their heavenly abodes at this grave travesty.

looks like they all expressed solidarity taking the cue from the top leader of the country, at that time, LOL

yeah! dropping the article and changing raman to ram i guess
eventually would lead to ra and then to distinguish, ra-1, 2, 3 etc.,

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 am

Rashmun wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
ohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoho.

OMG i'm hurting so badly from laughing nonstop.

but on a more serious note, what garam kuttan said.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 am

garam_kuta wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

hahaha.

the male equivalent is vasanthan and perhaps that's the original, although a nil/anomalous occurrence among Tambrahms IMO

Max and garam_kuta,

his first name is not Vasanthan; it is Vasanthakumar (all one word). i did not want to refer to him as Vasanthakumar so i addressed him as Vasantha (VasanthA).
he is a tamilian; i do not know if he is a tambrahm.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:04 am

Rashmun wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

hahaha.

Max and garam_kuta,

his first name is not Vasanthan; it is Vasanthakumar (all one word). i did not want to refer to him as Vasanthakumar so i addressed him as Vasantha (VasanthA).
he is a tamilian; i do not know if he is a tambrahm.

This example illustrates the key difference between a Naarthie and a Southie... While a Southie very rarely makes such "ignorant" mistakes (especially an educated person), such ignorant mistakes are all too common among the educated Naarthies. This is mainly born out of arrogance that they did not have to know about Southie culture. This is much like many of the educated americans finding it difficult to pronounce even the simplest names of phoreners.

Anyone who does not know the difference between Vasanth(an) and Vasantha - one of the common Southie names - should stop calling himself an Indian let alone claiming to be knowledgeable about Southies and Tamilians.

This is matched only by voting yourself out - again accidentally that came out of, again, ignorance.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 am

not sure why e'one is getting so pissed about it... vasanth, vasanthan, or vasantha... just let me know how to say it, and I will remember how to say it... honestly, if the name is vasanthakumar, even I might have made the same mistake, whether I was influenced by Max or not, but most likely not, coz I mostly ask first how to say a name, or what name to say. No biggie either way.

Gosh you thambis take umbrage to e'thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:not sure why e'one is getting so pissed about it... vasanth, vasanthan, or vasantha... just let me know how to say it, and I will remember how to say it... honestly, if the name is vasanthakumar, even I might have made the same mistake, whether I was influenced by Max or not, but most likely not, coz I mostly ask first how to say a name, or what name to say. No biggie either way.

>>>> Trace,

If it makes you feel any better, call me KrisA. Be forewarned though - I am going to be e mailing the names of the alcohol consumers on this forum to Anna ( wait, is it Ann?)

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 am

Kris wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:not sure why e'one is getting so pissed about it... vasanth, vasanthan, or vasantha... just let me know how to say it, and I will remember how to say it... honestly, if the name is vasanthakumar, even I might have made the same mistake, whether I was influenced by Max or not, but most likely not, coz I mostly ask first how to say a name, or what name to say. No biggie either way.

>>>> Trace,

If it makes you feel any better, call me KrisA. Be forewarned though - I am going to be e mailing the names of the alcohol consumers on this forum to Anna ( wait, is it Ann?)

Smile
Is there any way I can induce you to leave my name off the list? I am trying to be a good boy lately. Dry day #10 today. Don't want get beaten up by Anna's goons.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down