Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rationalist K S Bhagwan to Hindutva Fanatics: "You can attack us, tear us to pieces, but our works will live on"

Go down

Rationalist K S Bhagwan to Hindutva Fanatics: "You can attack us, tear us to pieces, but our works will live on" Empty Rationalist K S Bhagwan to Hindutva Fanatics: "You can attack us, tear us to pieces, but our works will live on"

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:46 pm

I want to say this to the people who killed Prof Kalburgi, Govind Pansare and Narendra Dabholkar, and are now threatening to kill me: You can attack us and tear us to pieces but our works will live on. They can kill me but that won't change my stand.

They must also know that I am not scared of them. Threats are nothing new to people such as Prof Kalburgi and me. I was first threatened in 1985 when I released my book 'Shankaracharya and Reactionary Philosophy'. My research showed that far from being a social reformer, the Shankaracharya was a strong advocate of the caste system. By going through the text of his teachings in Sanskrit, I could prove that he was vehemently opposed to Dalits and women getting educated. The traditionalists and fundamentalists who threatened to kill me then never bothered to read my work or challenge me on facts.

My friendship with Prof Kalburgi goes back to those turbulent years of my life when I was dragged to the courts for blasphemy. Coincidentally, the same year Prof Kalburgi had submitted a major research paper where he found that Channabasavanna, the nephew of 12th century social reformer Basavanna, was adopted. He was under severe threat from Lingayat fundamentalists for whom Channabasavanna is a holy figure.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/you-can-attack-us-but-our-works-will-live-on-prof-ks-bhagwan/story-sHksE2MkrBq2UZFeiQiVWK.html

Back to top Go down