Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition)

Go down

M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition) Empty M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition)

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:10 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV51_jnlS

Back to top Go down

M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition) Empty Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 pm

i always thought that her meera bhajan singing at the end of her concerts after her serious pieces diminished her worth in the eyes of serious music fans. when i listen to her recorded concerts (of which i have many), i stop listening after the midpoint by which time she has finished the serious varNams, krithis in some heavy weight ragam like a shankarabharanam, purvikalyani, thodi, or bhairavi, followed by a ragam thanam pallavi.

what usually followed were a profusion of these mostly fluff marathi abhangs and meera bhajans. not worth my time. my objection is not to the language but the musical heaviness of the pieces. i need my music to entertain me emotionally and intellectually.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition) Empty Re: M.S. Subbulakshmi sings a hindi song (wonderful rendition)

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i always thought that her meera bhajan singing at the end of her concerts after her serious pieces diminished her worth in the eyes of serious music fans. when i listen to her recorded concerts (of which i have many), i stop listening after the midpoint by which time she has finished the serious varNams, krithis in some heavy weight ragam like a shankarabharanam, purvikalyani, thodi, or bhairavi, followed by a ragam thanam pallavi.

what usually followed were a profusion of these mostly fluff marathi abhangs and meera bhajans. not worth my time. my objection is not to the language but the musical heaviness of the pieces. i need my music to entertain me emotionally and intellectually.

this was not a meera bhajan. it is the most famous of all hanuman bhajans--the hanuman chalisa penned by Tulsidas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i always thought that her meera bhajan singing at the end of her concerts after her serious pieces diminished her worth in the eyes of serious music fans. when i listen to her recorded concerts (of which i have many), i stop listening after the midpoint by which time she has finished the serious varNams, krithis in some heavy weight ragam like a shankarabharanam, purvikalyani, thodi, or bhairavi, followed by a ragam thanam pallavi.

this was not a meera bhajan. it is the most famous of all hanuman bhajans--the hanuman chalisa penned by Tulsidas.

The thing is, the link isn't working. So were not sure what you posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

try again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV51_jnlSU

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote: this was not a meera bhajan. it is the most famous of all hanuman bhajans--the hanuman chalisa penned by Tulsidas.

try again:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV51_jnlSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnV51_jnlSU[/quote[/url]]

first time I'm hearing this version of Hanuman Chalisa. Nice! The south indian touch added beauty to the song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:49 pm

I don't understand. Some of the tambams are ardent leftists and hindu haters. Why is that so? They were the priviledged ones in the caste system. Do their current leanings stem from the (subconcious) guilt complex for what their ancestors did or is it a pseudointellectual thing or is it coz of an inferiority complex abt every thing hindu?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 pm

kinnera wrote:I don't understand. Some of the tambams are ardent leftists and hindu haters. Why is that so? They were the priviledged ones in the caste system. Do their current leanings stem from the (subconcious) guilt complex for what their ancestors did or is it a pseudointellectual thing or is it coz of an inferiority complex abt every thing hindu?

what brought this on, and why on this thread?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:12 pm

that shld've been in the n ram's thread. mistake. will repost it there

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 pm

i particularly liked the singing from 5:37 to 7:24. the rhythm is different in this portion of the song and i can never tire of listening to her singing this portion of the song.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down