Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP to the VCR

2 posters

Go down

RIP to the VCR Empty RIP to the VCR

Post by silvermani Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 pm

This week, the Japanese company Funai Electric announced that it would cease production of VCRs. Since it was reportedly the last company to make the increasingly obsolete players, the news effectively rang the death knell of a technology that had survived long past its own moment.

Do you still own a VCR? I threw out mine about 3 years ago. I hadn't used it for many years, so couldn't justify it unnecessarily taking up space any longer.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

RIP to the VCR Empty Re: RIP to the VCR

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:22 pm

silvermani wrote:This week, the Japanese company Funai Electric announced that it would cease production of VCRs. Since it was reportedly the last company to make the increasingly obsolete players, the news effectively rang the death knell of a technology that had survived long past its own moment.

Do you still own a VCR? I threw out mine about 3 years ago. I hadn't used it for many years, so couldn't justify it unnecessarily taking up space any longer.

I have. I converted some to digital form. I need to work more on that, before the digitial world is replaced by the phonon world or whatever.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
silvermani wrote:This week, the Japanese company Funai Electric announced that it would cease production of VCRs. Since it was reportedly the last company to make the increasingly obsolete players, the news effectively rang the death knell of a technology that had survived long past its own moment.

I have. I converted some to digital form. I need to work more on that, before the digitial world is replaced by the phonon world or whatever.

What are your favorite VCR memories? Back when I was growing up, it was a luxury item. We bought a VCR for 10k rs together with two other families. Each family used to have it for a week and pass it on to another family. There was a neighborhood video parlor which had a deal - 50 cassettes for some small amount. You had to pay upfront and could borrow one or more movies at a time, till your balance ran out. 
Back to more recent times, the last time I brought in a cassette tape on rent must have been over 10 years ago. The cassettes at the desi grocery store used to have horrible distortion when I played them at home, but would work great on the VCR at the store! I got tired of this and stopped renting altogether.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum