Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

christmas and you

4 posters

Go down

christmas and you Empty christmas and you

Post by truthbetold Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 pm

What do you do for christmas if you are in USA? The entire nation is in festival mood. Children also see and hear from their class mates talking incessantly about GIFTs.

Would you give gifts to children? How about a gift to your spouse? How about family and friends? How about co workers?

have you participated in singing carols around your neighborhood? Have you or your children attended a church service as a guest?

Have you set up a tree? and decorated the outside of your house?

In my case, we did all of the above when my children were very young except gift to spouse. We looked upon these activities as cultural exchange.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

christmas and you Empty Re: christmas and you

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 pm

When my kids were li'l and innocently believed in Santas and tooth fairies and leprechauns and God, I had to put up a christmas tree at home coz they worried too much abt Santa not knowing where to put the Christmas gifts if there was no Christmas tree. So I got a plastic christmas tree which I used to reuse (along with the tree lighting and decorations) year after year until they realized that the whole Santa thing is bogus. Yes, I used to buy them gifts and place them around the x-mas tree on Christmas day. Everyone at school talked abt what gifts they got for x-mas and I didn't want them to feel left out. No gifts for them now, but they buy stuff coz everything is on super sale at this time of the yr.

No gifts to spouse or fam or frens. Did/do exchange cards and gifts with coworkers and neighbors as a matter of courtesy.

I read the bible, sang hymns and carols for 10 yrs when in school. I know most of them by heart. We had Chappell service for 40 min every morning. Also went to churches. participated in Christmas plays.

Older son attended a church, Baha'i center, mosque, synagogue, etc as a part of the 'interfaith understanding' when in balvihar. Younger one declared himself an atheist and refused to attend the bal vihar. So he didn't get a chance to attend the church or any other religious center.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:12 pm

i remember when i first found out santa was not real, i was so surprised and i wasn't fully convinced at first. later i asked my mom and then it felt good to know the big secret while my other frnd ( who was christian) still believed in it heehee

well we don't get x-mas tree or presents for each other or go to church, sing x-mas carols but we just buy gifts for friends & ppl at work and go to x-mas parties.

n go to see x-mas lights in vallejo Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Kids do the tree thing and decoration thing ever since daughter turned 7-8 years old, I don't care either way. They love it a lot, and hence the stocking on the fireplace. Kids and us give each other gifts, and to relative and friends if we are meeting them ON christmas. At work only if some gift stuff is going on.

Studied in a convent school, but somehow they weren't that into pushing religion on us, would not have worked anyway. Enjoyed the decoration in school, would go to the church sometimes, but don't think it was for christmas; and sometimes huddled and silently giggled when they went too high-pitched in some carol-or-whatever singing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:38 pm

seven wrote:i remember when i first found out santa was not real, i was so surprised and i wasn't fully convinced at first. later i asked my mom and then it felt good to know the big secret while my other frnd ( who was christian) still believed in it heehee

well we don't get x-mas tree or presents for each other or go to church, sing x-mas carols but we just buy gifts for friends & ppl at work and go to x-mas parties.

n go to see x-mas lights in vallejo Very Happy

Whatt? Santa is not real? Don't you believe what people say.

Remember: If you believe in it, then it is not a lie.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:30 pm

lights, gifts to kids/co-workers, tree.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:18 pm

I love the spirit of christmas ..i love the story of jesus

.its what all has been built around him later that i have issues with

yes at work we do exchange gifts but no costlier that $ 10