Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kamila shamsie

Go down

kamila shamsie Empty kamila shamsie

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 pm

i chanced upon this article by following sundeep dougal on twitter (and i visit my twitter page once in 6 months) and the reason i clicked sundeep's link was 'cos it was thru chat and thru charvaka that i became aware of kamila shamsie. here's a nice piece by her on agha shahid ali. it is nice, but, regrettably, it is also a lot of bluster. i have not read shamsie, save her net articles, and i do think that she should not write at all. all as a reader. i'm not a prof or a writer -- but readers too have sensibilities.

http://www.urdustudies.com/pdf/17/06_Shamsie.pdf

Back to top Go down

kamila shamsie Empty Re: kamila shamsie

Post by .|Sublime|. Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I have not read this article that you posted. I will read it later.
But I have read Shamsie's 'Burnt Shadows' and I was captivated by her writing style. I read this quite a while back and from what I remember there is a soft, lyrical quality to her writing.
Why do you say that she should not be writing at all?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:Why do you say that she should not be writing at all?

writing requires a bit of honesty for honesty is appealing (beyond the appeal of lyricism in language). i did not find it in her article about india-pak relations in one article. i did not find it in this article. and in yet another article that i forget. but if you are utterly captivated by "burnt shadows," i don't mind giving it a try. it is the same bok that charvaka (rather, his wife) recommended. i think i will. i will read it and comment upon it here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: it is the same bok that charvaka (rather, his wife) recommended.

oops, that was a different book (one set in karachi). i'll pick up burnt shadows and see if i read it.

here is the article i mentioned above: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/jan/03/pakistan.india

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:16 am

fantastic! this is how one remembers a man (amitav ghosh on agha shahid ali -- link below). i don't know if "honesty" is the right word, but that's what i see in this brilliant remembrance. take for instance these lines:

“You must write about me.” ... Shahid ignored my reassurances. He began to laugh and it was then that I
realized that he was dead serious. I understood that he was entrusting
me with a quite specific charge: he wanted me to remember him not
through the spoken recitatives of memory and friendship, but through
the written word. Shahid was unerring in his intuitions about people
and he probably knew that my instincts would have led me to search for
reasons to avoid writing about his death: I would have told myself that I
was not a poet; that our friendship was of recent date; that there
were many others who knew him much better and would be writing from
greater understanding and knowledge. Shahid had decided to shut off
these routes while there was still time.

shamsie's piece, otoh, sounds contrived for it is unable to give a human (or for that matter even a complete) face to agha shahd ali (the teacher -- ok). but, then again, comparing shamsie to ghosh is like comparing apples with oranges. anyway, ghosh's was a good read and my first (and full) introduction to agha shahid ali, the man. he was a great guy. unfortunately i have no clue about appreciating fine poetry.

link: http://www.amitavghosh.com/aghashahidali.html

.|Sublime|. you must write about me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:24 am

agha shahid ali literally respond's to shamsie's terrible guardian piece that i link above:

ghosh on agha shahid ali wrote:The steady deterioration of the political situation in Kashmir – the violence and counter-violence - had a powerful effect on him. In time it became one of the central subjects of his work: indeed it could be said that it was in writing of Kashmir that he created his finest work. The irony of this is that Shahid was not by inclination a political poet. I heard him say once: “If you are from a difficult place and that’s all you have to write about then you should stop writing. You have to respect your art, your form – that is just as important as what you write about.” Another time, I was present at Shahid’s apartment when his long-time friend, Patricia O’Neill, showed him a couple of sonnets written by a Victorian poet. The poems were political, trenchant in their criticism of the British Government for its failure to prevent the massacre of the Armenians in Turkey. Shahid glanced at them and tossed them off-handedly aside: “These are terrible poems.” Patricia asked why, and he said: “Look, I already know where I stand on the massacre of the Armenians. Of course I am against it. But this poem tells me nothing of the massacre; it makes nothing of it formally. I might as well just read a news report.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:19 am

pdf version of the amitav ghosh article (for easy read):

http://www.urdustudies.com/pdf/17/04_Ghosh.pdf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:52 pm

i reconnected with dougal sahib via a comment in twitter just now. i am close to getting a life soon. i'll be having a large following shortly and will be busy whole day responding to tweets to my tweets. fukin A. win win!

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. you must write about me.

I am utterly touched and feel oh so honored that you chose me. I refuse to spoil the moment by pondering on the why - instead I must focus my complete attention on the what.
when you tell me so, how can I refuse?
this is one thing that I might write about - you are completely and utterly fascinated by this woman!
let her go. release her.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

yes i am fascinated by her. primarily 'cos she is so pretty. but my fascination is not perverse in any way. i doubt her literary talent from what i have read on the net by her (specifically her guardian piece). i further doubt her talent because of her literary heritage (though kiran desai is a fine writer) and thus premeditated career (and we surely must be having more examples of kiran desais in the world). my revulsion is pivoted on her guardian essay -- namely, what prompted you to write something so naive? lastly, i always doubt female writers of fiction till proven wrong. i think i'll read her book now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum