Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Indian men do this all the time"

Go down

"Indian men do this all the time" Empty "Indian men do this all the time"

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am

Then Dana jolted awake to a sharp pain. The man had her left breast in his hand and was pinching her nipple over her shirt. When she bolted up, she says, he gasped, “Oh sorry! Sorry!” She jumped from her seat and sprinted down the darkened aisle.

“I think this man is touching me,” Dana says she told the first cluster of flight attendants she found: two men, one of whom was a German from United’s partner carrier Lufthansa, and one woman. The female attendant responded, “You think he is?” “No, no, he is, he is,” Dana said. But in her mind, Dana wondered, Why are you asking me like that?

Dana says the female flight attendant told her to sit back down, but she refused; she also advised the crew to move the young woman on the other side of the perpetrator to another seat—she looked to Dana like she might be in her late teens.

The German flight attendant disappeared down the aisle and reappeared a few minutes later to announce he had “yelled at him.” Dana says the flight attendant told her that the man had at first pretended to be asleep and then begged, “Please don’t arrest me. It was an accident.” “When I heard about what the guy said, my heart just dropped,” Dana says. She thought, “That really was happening … This guy just admitted it.” That’s when she started to cry, she says.

The crew found Dana a new seat in business class, where she sat shaking while people snored around her. She says she told her story to every flight attendant who walked by, and they responded by “throwing things at me—free stuff, trying to make me happy. I feel like they were like, ‘Oh, what an asshole! Would you like more wine?’ ” One German flight attendant stopped by to explain that “people, they move around in their sleep sometimes” and that “Indian men do this all the time.” (The alleged assailant appeared to be of South Asian descent.) After Dana had calmed down, she says she walked to the front of the first class section to ask members of the flight crew what they planned to do about the man. According to her, “They just stared straight ahead and ignored me.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2016/08/what_happens_when_sexual_assault_happens_on_a_long_haul_flight.html

Back to top Go down