Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Am Not A Patriot

Go down

I Am Not A Patriot Empty I Am Not A Patriot

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:24 pm

“In my country…everyone says ‘I’m a patriot’,” he said. “Every guy on Fox News says ‘I’m a patriot’. To be a patriot, you have to hang out with Sarah Palin and Ted Nugent and so, I decided, I am not a patriot.”

Rollins is open about the amount of hate mail he receives regarding his stance on patriotism. Particularly from those that favour labelling the 55 year-old a communist. Albeit, spelt with a ‘K’.

“What’s the matter? Don’t you love America?,” he said. “I don’t know how to love streets and traffic. Do I love the idea of America? I love the idea of what America aspired to be. Not what it aspires to be.”

The former being, according to Rollins, an America that abolished slavery, offered equal protection to its citizens, and African American men the right to vote. It was, as claimed by Rollins, an America that had a chance to maintain its status as the world’s liberal beacon.

The America that ‘aspires to be’ refers to the socio-political environment of America today, moulded since the Reagan years, that equates to the popularity of Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump.

“There’s been a conscientious dumbing down of the American electorate, at least, since Ronald Reagan,” he said. “Why would a country seek to dumb down its own people? If you sell ammunition, and weapons, and weapons delivery systems, if your stock and trade is war, then you don’t want smart people saying ‘that is a fake war’.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/millystilinovic/2016/09/04/henry-rollins-i-am-not-a-patriot/#413b120b68dd

Don't we have a couple of dumbos here who resort to name calling (applying communist label) at the drop of a hat

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down