Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tear Up the Democratic Party?

5 posters

Go down

Tear Up the Democratic Party? Empty Tear Up the Democratic Party?

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:35 am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/democratic-party-burn-tasini/index.html
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Tear Up the Democratic Party? Empty Re: Tear Up the Democratic Party?

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:48 am

The party needs a complete overhaul. But some of the prescriptions here are just wrong. The Democrats should not follow the Republicans into an obsession with the irretrievable past. Well-paying manufacturing jobs for low-skilled people are not coming back. Unions are the party's past, not its future. Flight of manufacturing jobs is a problem of the past; automation of both manufacturing and service jobs is the problem of the future. Globalization and automation are inevitable trends. And they will only pick up pace, regardless of who is in the White House or Congress. The policy issue is how to ensure a fair and equitable society when automation starts gobbling up millions more jobs. Democrats need to focus on the future.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:04 am

How the heck did this just happen?

There is only one silver lining in yesterday's election results, which will allow a con man, a pathological liar, a bold racist and a sexual predator to succeed the first African-American president.

The same man who questioned presidency of the first African-American.

Michael Moore made a similar post on FB.

I spoke to my teams in Europe this morning and they were laughing. 

One of them sent me this. Daily Mail UK
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 am

southindian wrote:How the heck did this just happen?

There is only one silver lining in yesterday's election results, which will allow a con man, a pathological liar, a bold racist and a sexual predator to succeed the first African-American president.

Also on Daily Mail. Enjoy!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 am

Hellsangel wrote:
southindian wrote:How the heck did this just happen?

Also on Daily Mail. Enjoy!
Nope!

Mark these words... a con man, a pathological liar.

If I don't see "the wall", "mass deportations", "banning of Muslims from US", "printing of $"  then your Daily Mail link is pure emotional crap. 

He said all those for votes. You know that.

America will find out what he does by this time next year. Stay tuned.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Idéfix wrote:The party needs a complete overhaul. But some of the prescriptions here are just wrong. The Democrats should not follow the Republicans into an obsession with the irretrievable past. Well-paying manufacturing jobs for low-skilled people are not coming back. Unions are the party's past, not its future. Flight of manufacturing jobs is a problem of the past; automation of both manufacturing and service jobs is the problem of the future. Globalization and automation are inevitable trends. And they will only pick up pace, regardless of who is in the White House or Congress. The policy issue is how to ensure a fair and equitable society when automation starts gobbling up millions more jobs. Democrats need to focus on the future.
Neither party can fix this issue. Every 8 years(maybe just 4 years next time), fed up Americans vote with hope for a new smooth talking politician, who will dash their hopes again. Americans by nature are an optimistic people, so they refuse to give up and keep hoping for a miracle with every new candidate they pick.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:38 pm

silvermani wrote:
Idéfix wrote:The party needs a complete overhaul. But some of the prescriptions here are just wrong. The Democrats should not follow the Republicans into an obsession with the irretrievable past. Well-paying manufacturing jobs for low-skilled people are not coming back. Unions are the party's past, not its future. Flight of manufacturing jobs is a problem of the past; automation of both manufacturing and service jobs is the problem of the future. Globalization and automation are inevitable trends. And they will only pick up pace, regardless of who is in the White House or Congress. The policy issue is how to ensure a fair and equitable society when automation starts gobbling up millions more jobs. Democrats need to focus on the future.
Neither party can fix this issue. Every 8 years(maybe just 4 years next time), fed up Americans vote with hope for a new smooth talking politician, who will dash their hopes again. Americans by nature are an optimistic people, so they refuse to give up and keep hoping for a miracle with every new candidate they pick.
There are some good ideas worth debating about how to tackle the problems of the future. Like universal basic income, free college tuition, etc. to help build a fair and equitable society for the future. But apparently Americans don't like being the told bad news any more than the rest of humanity. Clinton told them the uncomfortable truth that the coal jobs are not coming back -- and they are gone MOSTLY because of the gas boom rather than renewables. And they hated her for it, and like most calculating politicians she stopped telling the uncomfortable truth. Trump told a bold, comfortable lie about bringing those jobs back, and won the Midwest and Appalachia.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Hellsangel wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/opinions/democratic-party-burn-tasini/index.html

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Young democrats will learn exactly the wrong lesson from the election while dealing with their anger -- that they lost the election because we were too moderate or too close to the center and that nominating Bernie would have won us the election. And they are dead wrong. Do they really want to become the tea party of the left?

The way it looks to me the center previously occupied by Clinton, Obama, McCain, the two women from Maine, and Romney is going away in the coming years. We are probably 95% of the way there anyway.  There is going to be only the hard right and hard left with nobody in the center or even interested in occupying that space. That means even more gridlock and wildly oscillating between extreme right and left agendas, with each administration undoing anything done by a previous administration from the other party. I have some limited hope that when the folks now in the 20s get into politics and positions of power they'll bring the country back to its senses, but maybe that's being wildly optimistic.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Compromise and moderation are bad words in the current political climate, but they are political lubricants which makes governing and legislating possible. I am wondering if the senate democrats will do the same thing the Republicans did -- gum up the works on everything including SCOTUS nominations. I think they should be selective in gumming up the works and shouldn't make it an operating principle. Certainly we don't want a judge with very hard right conservative views who'll undo Roe v Wade but we should be more willing to compromise on other things.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down