Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fall of liberalism?

4 posters

Go down

fall of liberalism? Empty fall of liberalism?

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:24 pm

this guy makes great points. I highlight this coz I see it so frequently on such:

Too many of my progressive friends seem to have forgotten how to make actual arguments, and have become expert instead at condemnation, derision and mockery. On issue after issue, they’re very good at explaining why no one could oppose their policy positions except for the basest of motives. As to those positions themselves, they are too often announced with a zealous solemnity suggesting that their views are Holy Writ -- and those who disagree are cast into the outer political darkness. In short, the left has lately been dripping with hubris, which in classic literature always portends a fall.
My friends on the left have come to resemble a little too closely my friends on the right, and the Republican Party has also received well-justified kicks in the pants from time to time. But it’s liberalism that has thought itself ascendant of late, while conservatives have found themselves scrambling for an identity.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-11-11/trump-and-the-fall-of-liberalism

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

fall of liberalism? Empty Re: fall of liberalism?

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:08 pm

These all are cyclical. Liberalism is not going anywhere anytime soon. Remember, till last week, we were writing obituaries of the GOP. Don't forget that Hillary still won the popular vote. If you look around the world, Modi just got 31% of votes in India, at the moment it looks like he won't be re-elected. In France, right-wing party lost big in regional elections. To make a long story short, it is premature to suggest that liberalism failed.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:52 pm

The failure to win in 2016 does not change USA's long term direction.  I heard about death of Republican Party in 2008 and 2012.  

The good news is Clinton dynasty is over in democratic Party.  Better news is Trump dynasty is leading Republican party. 

Dems have to organize themselves for future and get rid of old baggage.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:28 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:These all are cyclical. Liberalism is not going anywhere anytime soon. Remember, till last week, we were writing obituaries of the GOP. Don't forget that Hillary still won the popular vote. If you look around the world, Modi just got 31% of votes in India, at the moment it looks like he won't be re-elected. In France, right-wing party lost big in regional elections. To make a long story short, it is premature to suggest that liberalism failed.
People are as usual twisting facts and are as usual being hypocrites of the first order.

NDA has a whole got around 39%. Modi has been leader of the entire NDA. Elections were fought under his leadership.

Within that BJP got around 31.3 %.  

Congress party got only 19%. 

In 2009, Congress got only 29% and ruled India (and as it was alleged, with Sonia ruling by Proxy).  Did not see the same suspects cribbing about the system then.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down