Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fidelity select sector funds

5 posters

Go down

Fidelity select sector funds Empty Fidelity select sector funds

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Does anyone know of lower-cost alternatives to these. I am not used to paying expense ratios greater than 0.1% having used Vanguard index funds all my life. Trying to rebalance my portfolio by adding a little sector concentration anticipating the economic policy changes likely to be enacted by the new administration. I am looking at the fidelity sector funds but they all have expense rations roughly in the 0.8 - 0.85% which is kind of high. Anyone know of lower cost alternatives?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Fidelity select sector funds Empty Re: Fidelity select sector funds

Post by garam-kuta Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

there is a vanguard mutual fund/etf for every sector that fidelity has. in google finance or yahoo finance search for "vanguard -sector-". an example is vfh for financial.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:33 pm

I work for Fidelity. Though I cannot ethically advise you for one against the other. What sectors interest you?

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:03 pm

TruthSeeker wrote:I work for Fidelity. Though I cannot ethically advise you for one against the other. What sectors interest you?

Industrial equipment, energy, and financials.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Stick with Vanguard.

Fidelity is for advanced.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:52 pm

google finance data:
VINAX - indistrial - 0.1% exprense ratio
VGENX - energy - 0.37%
VFAIX - financial - 0.1%

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 pm

garam-kuta wrote:google finance data:
VINAX - indistrial - 0.1% exprense ratio
VGENX - energy - 0.37%
VFAIX - financial - 0.1%

Thanks! They seem to track the corresponding Fidelity sector funds quite well. Let me see if they are available through my Fidelity brokerage link.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 pm

Hmm... They don't offer the corresponding vanguard equivalents. Guess Fidelity wants to force you into their sector funds if that's what you want to do. Sucks. The vanguard funds have much better expense ratios. Unfortunately employer forces fidelity on us.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Hmm... They don't offer the corresponding vanguard equivalents. Guess Fidelity wants to force you into their sector funds if that's what you want to do. Sucks. The vanguard funds have much better expense ratios. Unfortunately employer forces fidelity on us.
That's how they make their money... lock you in through the employer, then charge high expense ratios to captive population.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 am

Idéfix wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:Hmm... They don't offer the corresponding vanguard equivalents. Guess Fidelity wants to force you into their sector funds if that's what you want to do. Sucks. The vanguard funds have much better expense ratios. Unfortunately employer forces fidelity on us.
That's how they make their money... lock you in through the employer, then charge high expense ratios to captive population.

As far as plain vanilla index funds go, Vanguard has pressured Fidelity to reduce expenses to a point where the differences are meaningless. But the Vanguard sector funds have significant cost advantage. But no dice. Not available through Fidelity.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:20 am

Maxi - If I were to look at my portfolio - the only winners are specific stock picks. Sometimes I wonder if these ETFs/MFs are worth it.

I have time.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:21 am

TruthSeeker wrote:Maxi - If I were to look at my portfolio - the only winners are specific stock picks. Sometimes I wonder if these ETFs/MFs are worth it.

I have time.

This is my retirement account. Individual stocks not possible.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:16 am

Apply directly through the Vanguard website.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Not so simple. Retirement plan is administered through work and contributions (pre-tax) are made through payroll deductions. It has to be directed into the options available through the plan. Need to explore whether it can be rolled over into Vanguard while I am still employed without generating a taxable event. Some employers allow it, some don't. Need to figure it out. Headache.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam-kuta Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:03 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Not so simple. Retirement plan is administered through work and contributions (pre-tax) are made through payroll deductions. It has to be directed into the options available through the plan. Need to explore whether it can be rolled over into Vanguard while I am still employed without generating a taxable event. Some employers allow it, some don't. Need to figure it out. Headache.
some fidelity 401k plans allow a brokerage link. if the brokerage link allows ETFs, there are many vanguard sector ETFs with low expenses. and if it is in retirement account, there are no tax issue also.

garam-kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am

Nope no ETFs allowed in the brokerage link offered through work. Sucks.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down