Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why?

4 posters

Go down

Why? Empty Why?

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:48 pm

One of my neighbors is a woman in her twenties who teaches first graders in a public school.

She went to a fourth tier state university and majored in early education.

Why is that the parents of ABCDs brainwash their kids into thinking that this kind of career choice is for losers and one needs to get a Ph.D or MBA from top ranked schools in order to be deemed a success?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Why? Empty Re: Why?

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Money, my dear.

School teacher makes $28K or less and can lose job anytime and usually does. Plus ABCD's parents came from third world with a million money problems in our childhood. So if we can remove that from our kids' life, rest will take care later. Job satisfaction is the last thing for us, money being the first.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Absloute Zero

This person I talk about lives in an apartment. I think she has a roommate.She may not have a big bank balance . But it is still decent living. And she does for a living what she really enjoys.

Even if she loses her job, she can always do something else to make that $28K. I guess people like her get into problems when they live beyond their means for example buying a house they can't afford.

So what you are saying is that the desi parents act out of insecurity than a clear look at the reality.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Nothing wrong in the parents pushing their kids be it engineering, MBA, wall street looter, medical - as long as the kid also WANTS TO.

There is a girl in our town who wants to be a teacher...(bcz she could not get into what she/her parents wanted in the first place). Per zero, this must be a dead end with insecurity.

Ok...here is what I would tell that girl or anyone interested in being a teacher. Get a masters in education - say special ed, higher level ed, etc - while working as a teacher. School districts give financial help to pursue higher education. Then the girl should look for "certification" summer courses in her field that adds around $1500 to her annual salary. Get a PhD in education and guess what....

viola.... She is on the path to become principal, School superintendent. This is a high demand job and very CEO type job managing 200,000 studnets and 5000 teachers and a big $2 Bil budget. Salary 250K (low end) to 800K (high end).

Of course, no one asks me and I dont tell. Bookish Desis lack brains. Period. First find out what the kids want and see if they are based on their skills. Then do everything possible for them to achieve that. forget the money....it will follow.

A challenge. You tell me a job/profession and I will tell you how one can make BIG BUCKS in that field if the person is determined.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:46 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote: So what you are saying is that the desi parents act out of insecurity than a clear look at the reality.

You got it right. Would "YOU" allow your kid to become a "decent" school teacher earning $28K living in a 1/2 BR apt for rest of her/his life? If that school teacher you talked in your original post (OP) loses her job, she would find something easily because she is either kala or gora. Would that same thing happen to a desi? Probably not because from the name alone the applications get discarded when resumes are seen. It another matter if the desi go the degree from MIT or Harvard but the name gives in.

The same name can become an asset if the application is for a physician or IT job. :-)

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Nothing wrong in the parents pushing their kids be it engineering, MBA, wall street looter, medical - as long as the kid also WANTS TO.

There is a girl in our town who wants to be a teacher...(bcz she could not get into what she/her parents wanted in the first place). Per zero, this must be a dead end with insecurity.

Ok...here is what I would tell that girl or anyone interested in being a teacher. Get a masters in education - say special ed, higher level ed, etc - while working as a teacher. School districts give financial help to pursue higher education. Then the girl should look for "certification" summer courses in her field that adds around $1500 to her annual salary. Get a PhD in education and guess what....

viola.... She is on the path to become principal, School superintendent. This is a high demand job and very CEO type job managing 200,000 studnets and 5000 teachers and a big $2 Bil budget. Salary 250K (low end) to 800K (high end).

Of course, no one asks me and I dont tell. Bookish Desis lack brains. Period. First find out what the kids want and see if they are based on their skills. Then do everything possible for them to achieve that. forget the money....it will follow.

A challenge. You tell me a job/profession and I will tell you how one can make BIG BUCKS in that field if the person is determined.

Sami maharaj

if at all the kid can get a Ph.D., why bother going to school distircts? Do a univ teaching job and with that you get your own funding and set your own times to teach and go to office and come back home at will whenever you want.

There is this MIT Ph.D (no MS bcoz her BS from Case Western was 4.2 (she did additional courses and never got a B in all 4 years) who at the mention of "teaching" faints. She hates teaching and when visiting parents talks less than 10 words in 10 days trip. Any univ will give her job becuase of her grades and education but she cannot talk. :-) Irony.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Get a masters in education - say special ed, higher level ed, etc - while working as a teacher.

===> That is what she is doing on the side now.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Nothing wrong in the parents pushing their kids be it engineering, MBA, wall street looter, medical - as long as the kid also WANTS TO.

Sami maharaj

if at all the kid can get a Ph.D., why bother going to school distircts? Do a univ teaching job and with that you get your own funding and set your own times to teach and go to office and come back home at will whenever you want.

There is this MIT Ph.D (no MS bcoz her BS from Case Western was 4.2 (she did additional courses and never got a B in all 4 years) who at the mention of "teaching" faints. She hates teaching and when visiting parents talks less than 10 words in 10 days trip. Any univ will give her job becuase of her grades and education but she cannot talk. :-) Irony.

Again Wrong-O.... She should do PhD ASAP if she wants to get into a University as a PhD is requireed for an entry level job and then she has a CHANCE to be a super duper. if not she might make around 80 to 90K when she is in her mid 40s. Whereas, as a school teacher, she can get her PhD on the fly and it will make her UNIQUE and push her in the school district. School "administrators" make very good pay in 6-figures. The principal of private schools and Charter schools make more than 100 to 120K. Supdt. can easily make an average of 350K - same as a Univ president. A university professor makes as much as a McDonalds Manager.

Sure...one can do eng at MIT and hit a jackpot and become an Einstein. But, remember we are talking about someone who is interested in teaching (wonly) and how to succeed and also make just as much money.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:15 pm

===> I wonder if FlimFlam would have bragged about her daughter if she was a first grade teacher.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:50 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> I wonder if FlimFlam would have bragged about her daughter if she was a first grade teacher.

You should ask him... Of course...he will say he would hv...bcz after all she did not become a teacher (but she still might). After all, he is proud of his son too...isn't it ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> I wonder if FlimFlam would have bragged about her daughter if she was a first grade teacher.

why bring someone' kids in discussion unnecessarily?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum