Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you...

3 posters

Go down

Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you... Empty Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you...

Post by FluteHolder Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:05 am

Question on the browser pushed ads to you.

1) If google or chrome can push ads specifically to you based on your location (IP address) and also they know more about you based on your email/other, physical location (demographics) stuff?

2) Can they push a specific ad ONLY to you? 

Even If I clear history, cookies, there are some ads are very interesting and appropriate. I am just wondering how they do it and what they know about us? Smile 

I was talking to an Digital media executive of an online/news magazine and she told me that browser/websites know everything about the house hold info thru their cookies/ip addresses/browsing history etc. But I am not sure they can specifically target a customer with specific ads based on IP address?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you... Empty Re: Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you...

Post by silvermani Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:19 am

A couple of suggestions:
1. Install adblock plug in
2. Install ModifyHeader plugin  and keep changing the ip address frequently. This will confuse the advertisers as they can't pin you to just one IP address.

After installing the plug in, create a new header called X-Forwarded-For and enter an ip address value, like in the screenshot below. This site has a list of all countries' ip addresses. You can even pick an ip address from Afghanistan if you wish!

http://www.nirsoft.net/countryip/

Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you... 1qTr0
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you... Empty Re: Question to Web/Browser Tech gurus... Browser pushed Ads to you...

Post by FluteHolder Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks. I donot think I can change IP addresses that much frequently and If I did that my trading applications/brokers may shut down my trading apps/connections. I was just curious about those ads and whether if someone or some company wanted to communicate specifically to you, will they be able to do that?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Related question.

When I visit a website (say, facdebook or google), I know the website knows your IP address. Does it know your computer's unique ID?

So eve f my IP address changes, it recognozes from by computer ID?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 am

To KV: I guess they can identify your computer if they want to. With this day and age, it is not easy to hide your digital footprint. 

My question is whether someone can specifically push ads to your PC based on your IP address? IF they have control over the cookies or IP address etc. For example, If you have access to Rashmun's ip address or browser cookies, can you send him specific ads (let us say Anti Hindi Posts)  so that he sees them (only him)?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Yes. They can.
A few weeks ago I went to a few car sites. Then when I came here, there were ads from my local car dealers

Some is making lot of money from these ads

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:11 am

Asking this again: 

I understand the ads can be pushed based on your browsing history and or your info about your zip code, property data based on your ip address. But how they push an ad which has no relevance to me or all the ads will have some relevance. I checked with the the company which pushed such an ad and they have no clue how that ad is pushed to my browser. 

One would assume that they will get car dealership ads if they browsed or searched for any cars. But how/why they push ads which are irrelevant? For example if I receive ads https://www.alfaromeousa.com/  (*I never visited or searched any cars/website).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:36 pm

FluteHolder wrote:Asking this again: 

I understand the ads can be pushed based on your browsing history and or your info about your zip code, property data based on your ip address. But how they push an ad which has no relevance to me or all the ads will have some relevance. I checked with the the company which pushed such an ad and they have no clue how that ad is pushed to my browser. 

One would assume that they will get car dealership ads if they browsed or searched for any cars. But how/why they push ads which are irrelevant? For example if I receive ads https://www.alfaromeousa.com/  (*I never visited or searched any cars/website).

What you are talking about is called "targeted delivery" of content. There are targeting rules setup by different companies to show users a particular piece of content based on the targeting rule.
Targeting rules can be based on different criteria. They can be either very simple like in the case of a website which operates internationally, "show July 4th special offers to customers based in the US" or they can be very complex rules with targeting decisions made on the fly based on multiple criteria. If you are seeing an alfa romeo ad it doesn't necessarily mean you have visited a car website in the past. You may have done something to satisfy the targeting criteria for showing you that ad. Or you may not have, sometimes the targeted content delivery systems have bugs and they deliver content way off target.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks for your detailed explanation. 

If an individual or a company not related to the company on which the ad or related ads are coming up in my browser, can they direct the car company do that? That is a third party can influence the ad pushing so that those ads are pushed to me?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by silvermani Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes. There are companies that specialize in this business. This third party targeting system is what I referred to as the complex, algorithm based system.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down