Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC News: The Human cost of India's meat ban

Go down

BBC News: The Human cost of India's meat ban Empty BBC News: The Human cost of India's meat ban

Post by Guest Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 am

Mr Ahmad says he understands the crackdown on slaughterhouses which sell beef "because it was one of the BJP's campaign promises".

"But why punish small shop owners who sell goat and sheep meat? Most butchers like me earn daily, and don't have any other skill after being in the business for decades," he says.

"I want my children to get a good education and come out of poverty. If the government thinks meat shops are bad, then give us something else to do.
"Is it a crime to dream about a good future for your children?"...

"Just look around. My house is already breaking apart. I have to feed 10 people. Is it fair to ban our only source of livelihood?"...

His mother, Fatima Begum, says that the community in this area has traditionally earned its livelihood through the meat trade.
"Men in this community don't have any other skill. We are already poor, and now we are not sure where the next meal is going to come from. They may as well kill us," she says.
Ms Begum says she needs regular medication because of her old age.
"I am running out of my medicines, but I haven't told this to my son because I don't want to add to his troubles," she says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-39427552

Back to top Go down