Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Verba ability - my foot!

5 posters

Go down

Verba ability - my foot! Empty Verba ability - my foot!

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:15 pm

“I secured 100 percentile in the quantitative ability section, which was relatively easy. This time, we had two sections instead of three — quantitative ability and verbal and logical reasoning,” he said.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloid/education/9-get-10-10-cat-2011-046

===> When only about 5% of the country can speak and write English, testing someone for verbal ability in English reeks of nothing but elitism. In fact IIT JEE had a test on English till 1987. No wonder very few from the villages could get in till that time.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Verba ability - my foot! Empty Re: Verba ability - my foot!

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 pm

i don't think the english test was used to rank students. i don't think you even had to pass. it was just to gather data and help institutes organize an english course for students who needed it.

however, i can justify the IIMs requiring it. most students who go through the MBA course are going to end up working in corporate india where the lingua franca is english.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 pm

and the third post has his foot in it ...

English is not our primary language yet we Indians do fine in it

I find Bittu gazing intently at your mulais .... or are they azhagis?
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't think the english test was used to rank students. i don't think you even had to pass. it was just to gather data and help institutes organize an english course for students who needed it.

however, i can justify the IIMs requiring it. most students who go through the MBA course are going to end up working in corporate india where the lingua franca is english.

Still someone repeating it 3 times and getting to be in the top 10 does not make sense. He is a great trainer and cannot be said to be brilliant by any means.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:however, i can justify the IIMs requiring it. most students who go through the MBA course are going to end up working in corporate india where the lingua franca is english.

Then what is wrong if GOI mandated that the civil service aspirants from SI required to pass an examination in Hindi because they may have to work in NI at some point during their career?

There are so many kids living in rural parts of TN, studying in Tamil medium excelling in Math and Science. And some of them may end up going to colleges near where they live managing skillfully with rudimentary knowledge of English that is good enough to communicate what they learnt in Physics or Accounting. They may not know the meaning of words like "serendipity" or be able to figure out the silly verbal analogies. But they may have leadership qualities. Why on earth, they should be denied a place at IIM?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:30 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:however, i can justify the IIMs requiring it. most students who go through the MBA course are going to end up working in corporate india where the lingua franca is english.

Then what is wrong if GOI mandated that the civil service aspirants from SI required to pass an examination in Hindi because they may have to work in NI at some point during their career?

There are so many kids living in rural parts of TN, studying in Tamil medium excelling in Math and Science. And some of them may end up going to colleges near where they live managing skillfully with rudimentary knowledge of English that is good enough to communicate what they learnt in Physics or Accounting. They may not know the meaning of words like "serendipity" or be able to figure out the silly verbal analogies. But they may have leadership qualities. Why on earth, they should be denied a place at IIM?

>>>> If the GOI can show that facility in hindi is a pre req to performing well on the job, they can require it. My dad worked as an officer in the central gov't and had postings in Bombay and Delhi and this did not come up as an issue. Day to day stuff that required Hindi when he had dealings in outlying areas were handled by assistants. This is not to say he would not have benefited had he been fluent in the language, but it wasn't a big impediment either. In terms of the management institutes, you would be seriously hampered without English. As the world becomes more interconnected in terms of commerce, it is even more important now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm

you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. it's pretty obvious you won't get anywhere if you can't speak english in corporate india. and the language of instruction at the IIMs is english. a lot of MBA education also involves group work involving students from different parts of the country. it's impractical to not know english. there is nothing else to be said.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down