Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story

+4
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
Maria S
MulaiAzhagi
8 posters

Go down

Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story  Empty Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:14 am

http://www.medhajournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=628&catid=56:myblog&Itemid=157

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story  Empty Re: Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:16 am

He came, he achieved ... and vanished

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/03/04/stories/2005030400170300.htm

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story  Empty Re: Tambhram and Nadar Christian! a 1930 love story

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 am

Getting warmer Sara?Smile

I know a few (really very few) Brahmin-Nadar love stories which were "fulfilled" in the legal sense (!) One I can mention, because they are public figures, is that of Anoushka Shankar's maternal grandparents. And it was not a simple boy meets girl-they fell in love and lived happily ever after either.

Beyond it being a sensitive or crass topic as one would see it..the reality still is..intercaste marriages are rare. With all the resentment about Caste-reservations and controversies I read in Indian sites (esp. with anonymity people feel free to do so) from ALL sides and whispers I hear about caste and religion when it comes to marriages..sadly, beneath the surface a lot of strong prejudices are alive and well. *Of course money/wealth goes a long way is making these differences smooth (er).

And to be fair..crossing lines of caste, religion, race, socioeconomic status, still do come with a price..for some it's bigger than for others. Unless the parents and the new DIL/SIL like each other and there is real affection..there is always some lifelong distance and isolation. I am not saying that this does not happen in "intra"marriages..or it cannot be overcome..just takes a more honest effort from everyone in the extended family..and hope more people are willing to invest that extra effort/support if we want to see more of these love stories have happy endings.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 am

===> Maria,

My neighbor in Tambaram James conveyed his "feelings" to a girl who lived few houses down the street. She told him bluntly "Our family is Catholic. My brother will not be let me marry a Protestant."

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 pm

mulaiazhagi,
if i am not mistaken, the above story is taken from some old thamizh movie *ing fat prabhu and someone. you generally making up stories here.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:10 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://www.medhajournal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=628&catid=56:myblog&Itemid=157

Read it. Cute that the son is honoring mom's old love styor. But I don't think that the ultimate sanyasam has anything to do with the old love. Doesn't happen in real life. The only connection of the two incidences (marriage proposal and sanyas) maybe that the guy was unconventional at heart. But not that much coz he didn't convert, and went for sanyas after his duties were over.

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Impedimenta wrote:mulaiazhagi,
you generally making up stories here.

===> Impedimenta,

I am gratified that you think I am capable of making up stories.

If I had such imagination along with good writing skills, I would be writing books not posting messages here.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:42 pm

Sara,

It's good that your neighbor James's lady crush- was honest and did not play any games. Love marriages in India (as everyone knows) needs courage and committment of the couple and willingness to face obstacles- if there is a great deal of family resistance, anger (even rage) and resentment.

It's good that you know the difference between Catholics and Protestants (as in- human rituals and traditions level)! In reality- inside Christianity these differences matter when someone decides to get married and raise children and better to resolve these issues before getting involved.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:17 pm

====> Maria,

There is more to the story I posted.

This guy James met the Malayali Catholic girl at the public water faucet on the street (kuzhaayadi). They started talking, met at the same time and at the same place. There was a Brahmin Music teacher (Paattu Vaaidhyaar) who lived across noticed that. So when he saw the girl's brother passing by his house, he accosted him and suggested "why don't you get your sister married to James? They seem to like each other." I guess the man was trying to do some public service. The brother rushed back to his house and told the girl in no uncertain terms that she should have nothing to do with that Protestant man.

James blamed his failure of his love project on the cunning Brahmin who was poking his nose into other people's business (that paapaan, he cursed)

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:====> Maria,

James blamed his failure of his love project on the cunning Brahmin who was poking his nose into other people's business (that paapaan, he cursed)

Was that Paapaan an Iyer or an Iyengar? It is important info as one is nosier than the other.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:====> Maria,

This guy James met the Malayali Catholic girl at the public water faucet on the street (kuzhaayadi). They started talking, met at the same time and at the same place. There was a Brahmin Music teacher (Paattu Vaaidhyaar) who lived across noticed that. So when he saw the girl's brother passing by his house, he accosted him and suggested "why don't you get your sister married to James? They seem to like each other." I guess the man was trying to do some public service. The brother rushed back to his house and told the girl in no uncertain terms that she should have nothing to do with that Protestant man.

Excellent story, thanks for telling.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Sara!

All the additional info..makes it such a lovely romantic kuzhayadi (street water taps) story! So magical indeed Smile!

Think the heroine saved herself a whole lot of trouble by not marrying James!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Sara,

You brought some life to SUCH in recent weeks. You also seem to have shed your dumb act. Your posts are still gut level issues without being down right racist.

What does MulaiAzhagi mean?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:04 pm

===>

Mualai Azhagi means women with beautiful breasts.

Well there is a story behind how I came across that name.

I went to a school called Annamalai University.

It is a big campus.

One time I saw a graffitti on the wall which screamed "MulaiAzhagi Muktha".

Muktha was the daughter of Dr. Adinarayanan who was a philosophy professor and the vice-Chancellor of the University.

I have seen her. She was really a Mulai Azhagi.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:15 pm

aww such a cute story, in it's own way. 3 stories:

1) someone related, title given was: nagpuri santre (oranges from nagpur)

2) a senior of mine, title was: mere do anmol ratan (my two precious gems). Well it was a song about a mom praising her two sons. So yaa, ewww. Worse, someone scratched ratan and made it than. ewwwx3.

3) in my department, one year junior. We shared classrooms. In one of our classrooms, was forever written on a wall: BOOBIE. I felt bad for her, so I erased it. It was up again next day. So I let it go.

She may have heard it. Coz we had a hangout porch, with my classmates. Someone had written there in big blocks, 'Tracy Whitney Porch'. I heard later that she had erased that. But it came up again. Guess she let it go too.

Anyway, 2-3 years after we left school, and I was in the US. Two of my friends went back home for a visit, and visited the college too. One of them wrote to me the whole nostalgia, and ended the email with, 'oh btw, the Tracy Whitney Porch is still there. Guess no one wants to erase it still. Aditya and I sat there and relived old memories'.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:06 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===>

It is a big campus.

Muktha was the daughter of Dr. Adinarayanan who was a philosophy professor and the vice-Chancellor of the University.

You are on track to beating Tracy as the master storyteller of SuCH. Keep up the good work. Tracy better watch out and revive the BIL thread or something.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:08 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:3) in my department, one year junior. We shared classrooms. In one of our classrooms, was forever written on a wall: BOOBIE. I felt bad for her, so I erased it.
I did not understand this part of the story. Why did you feel bad for one particular girl when you saw that? Please clarify.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===>

It is a big campus.

mulai aiyaa,
just curious. what if the woman padded her chestular area? then sue her for false advertising.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 am

Impedimenta wrote: just curious. what if the woman padded her chestular area? then sue her for false advertising.

Nah. This is covered under the principle of caveat emptor. Just as with a car, it's important to check out what's under the bonnet before taking the plunge.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

charvaka wrote:You are on track to beating Tracy as the master storyteller of SuCH. Keep up the good work. Tracy better watch out and revive the BIL thread or something.

yeah, let me work on this.

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:3) in my department, one year junior. We shared classrooms. In one of our classrooms, was forever written on a wall: BOOBIE. I felt bad for her, so I erased it.
I did not understand this part of the story. Why did you feel bad for one particular girl when you saw that? Please clarify.

Ya well, I kinda thought it must be embarrasing to walk into a classroom with your classmates, talking and laughing normally, and then to stare at the wall, and see it written there. Can be quite demoralising. Been there, done that. Since ours was the morning batch, and she was not to enter until the afternoon, I thought better to erase it and save her the embarrasment. *shrug*

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Ya well, I kinda thought it must be embarrasing to walk into a classroom with your classmates, talking and laughing normally, and then to stare at the wall, and see it written there. Can be quite demoralising. Been there, done that. Since ours was the morning batch, and she was not to enter until the afternoon, I thought better to erase it and save her the embarrasment. *shrug*
The question is: on what basis did you assume that it referred specifically to THAT girl??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:14 am

[quote="Merlot Daruwala"]
Tracy Whitney wrote:
The question is: on what basis did you assume that it referred specifically to THAT girl??

Arre baba, I said already. We were the only two batches that shared that classroom. She had instantly made her name for, you know what, from day one. It's her classmates who wrote that. And final proof, we HEARD that they wrote it for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 am

Hmm..let's see now. So you saw this slang term for a female body-part written on the wall, without any qualifying adjective that might have helped identify the owner, and you automatically assumed that it applied only to one particularly well-endowed girl. This, despite there being other girls (incl yourself) in the two batches, all of who presumably possessed the same body-part. And you say you were her friend??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 am

I was not her friend, I was her senior. And you missed the part where I said that I was told it was for her. How? Coz one of her classmates was my friend's cousin. Anyway, I know at this point you are merely pulling my leg. So in revenge, I'm gonna tell you the rest of her story.

Anyway, she was a fire brand. Took pangas with her classmates, one of whih was my friend in the village. Actually, I knew his mom first as a friendly village aunty who sorta taught me swimming as a kid, coz I would go in 'women's' time slot and she used to be there.

They both were leader types, and genelly among the class toppers. He used to tell me about the fights they had with her. I used to also hear from others, and in general wool chide him about it if I met him in the village, while he would just laugh sheepishly and naughtily, and tell me the rest of the story.

By second or third year, they began dating. And then I heard they got married too. I guess they still are. Maybe I should try finding them on Facebook. In forgetting he girl's name though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:.. In forgetting he girl's name though.

>>>>Could you try under the endearing nickname?

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down