Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

philosophy of math and science

4 posters

Go down

philosophy of math and science  Empty philosophy of math and science

Post by Guest Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:40 am

hi guys.

i wish to discuss philosophy arising out of the following subjects:

- godel's theorems (related cantor, turing, chaitin, uncertainty, theory of everything, bell's theorem, other no-go theorems in physics and those theorems, in different sciences, that are yet to be discovered as a fallout of godel/tarski theorems )
- EPR -- quantum mechanics interpretations (not math)
- random -- algorithmic and chaitin, rational/irrational #s
- all old paradoxes (sorites, causality, zeno, quantum zeno or turing paradox) 
- philosophy of logic (logic vs random, reason vs intuition, epistemology)

i am not interested in discussing numbers and equations because i cannot (i have forgotten calculus and i never liked it) or discrete math or physics equations. i am interested only as a layman in a general or theoretical sense. the reference point of my knowledge, and thus the discussion, i guess, would be wikipedia (wiki is actually technical and frighteningly detailed and accurate). it does not matter if you are wrong -- your interest in the subject, willingness to learn and argue with a layman like me, for kicks, is all that would matter. because i will not be able to get too technical, i am avoiding the stack exchanges. also, the response time there would be slower i think and not in the spirit of a discussion. for learning (as opposed to discussing), wikipedia is more than enough.

Back to top Go down

philosophy of math and science  Empty Re: philosophy of math and science

Post by garam_kuta Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:33 pm

hahaba... watching epix channel all night, eh?

ps: punctuation reeks of...

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:10 pm

garam_kuta wrote:hahaba... watching epix channel all night, eh?

ps: punctuation reeks of...
hi real g_k! i don't know what epix is and google wasn't much help. trust all is well with you. i notice swapna ji has vanished. anyone has news about him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:45 pm

not(not(something)) wrote:hi guys.

i wish to discuss philosophy arising out of the following subjects:

- godel's theorems (related cantor, turing, chaitin, uncertainty, theory of everything, bell's theorem, other no-go theorems in physics and those theorems, in different sciences, that are yet to be discovered as a fallout of godel/tarski theorems )
- EPR -- quantum mechanics interpretations (not math)
- random -- algorithmic and chaitin, rational/irrational #s
- all old paradoxes (sorites, causality, zeno, quantum zeno or turing paradox) 
- philosophy of logic (logic vs random, reason vs intuition, epistemology)

i am not interested in discussing numbers and equations because i cannot (i have forgotten calculus and i never liked it) or discrete math or physics equations. i am interested only as a layman in a general or theoretical sense. the reference point of my knowledge, and thus the discussion, i guess, would be wikipedia (wiki is actually technical and frighteningly detailed and accurate). it does not matter if you are wrong -- your interest in the subject, willingness to learn and argue with a layman like me, for kicks, is all that would matter. because i will not be able to get too technical, i am avoiding the stack exchanges. also, the response time there would be slower i think and not in the spirit of a discussion. for learning (as opposed to discussing), wikipedia is more than enough.
>>> I may be vaguely conversant with some of the topics, but am willing to explore as time permits. Happy new year all.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:32 am

hi kris.

you are a banker. so, i think, you would be exposed to actuarial sciences. plus you have a good general knowledge; so you would anyway know a bit about all the subjects above. 

ok, choose one subject:

- random sequences and philosophy of logic
- crazy interpretations in quantum mechanics
- thermodynamics, the arrow of time and inductive reasoning

(i would choose the first because it is what i am wrapped up with at the moment but you are free to choose. once you choose, i shall initiate.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:48 am

not(not(something)) wrote:hi kris.

you are a banker. so, i think, you would be exposed to actuarial sciences. plus you have a good general knowledge; so you would anyway know a bit about all the subjects above. 

ok, choose one subject:

(i would choose the first because it is what i am wrapped up with at the moment but you are free to choose. once you choose, i shall initiate.)

i am interested in the second and third topics, and would like the discussion to begin with the third one (thermodynamics). Specifically, with a discussion about the second law of thermodynamics and how it pertains to evolution, protein folding, and possibly some other subjects. for obvious reasons it would be good if Max participates in this discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:16 am

Rashmun wrote:i am interested in the second and third topics, and would like the discussion to begin with the third one (thermodynamics). Specifically, with a discussion about the second law of thermodynamics and how it pertains to evolution, protein folding, and possibly some other subjects. for obvious reasons it would be good if Max participates in this discussion.

good. you are considered as someone hard to convince, so it should be fun discussing these issues with you. 

my ideas would keep converging to the godel incompleteness theorems. so, it might help if you read up on them: incompleteness theorems

having the incompleteness theorems would be a useful reference point because if we disagree, we can hopefully see where or why we are disagreeing by applying the theorem. 

here is the subject which is interesting in thermodynamics:

a) the arrow of time in thermodynamic is created entirely by inductive reasoning (true?). 
b) then time (or spacetime) is irreversible is based on an assumption (inductive reasoning) that could be false (true?). 
c) then travel back in time is a limitation of our assumption (inductive reasoning) and not the physical or observed reality (true?).

note: if you have any difficulty understanding the godel theorems, then we can tackle that first and i would be happy to help you understand them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:18 pm

have you ever struggled with probability theory? or found the behaviour of a fair coin inexplicable? or have been unable to grasp the concepts of randomness? (i have. i decided to understand it -- with the help of wikipedia -- for once and all last month and one thing led to another.)

the above is an alternate topic we can discuss if you don't want to discuss the arrow of time and thermodynamics. 

again, this is purely your choice. i am only giving you choices right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:24 pm

ok, choose one subject:

>>>Sorry about the late response. I will choose the first.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm

not(not(something)) wrote:
Rashmun wrote:i am interested in the second and third topics, and would like the discussion to begin with the third one (thermodynamics). Specifically, with a discussion about the second law of thermodynamics and how it pertains to evolution, protein folding, and possibly some other subjects. for obvious reasons it would be good if Max participates in this discussion.

good. you are considered as someone hard to convince, so it should be fun discussing these issues with you. 

my ideas would keep converging to the godel incompleteness theorems. so, it might help if you read up on them: incompleteness theorems

having the incompleteness theorems would be a useful reference point because if we disagree, we can hopefully see where or why we are disagreeing by applying the theorem. 

here is the subject which is interesting in thermodynamics:

a) the arrow of time in thermodynamic is created entirely by inductive reasoning (true?). 
b) then time (or spacetime) is irreversible is based on an assumption (inductive reasoning) that could be false (true?). 
c) then travel back in time is a limitation of our assumption (inductive reasoning) and not the physical or observed reality (true?).

note: if you have any difficulty understanding the godel theorems, then we can tackle that first and i would be happy to help you understand them.

before discussing the applications of thermodynamics, can we get some clarity on what is meant by "order" and "disorder" (denoted by the word "entropy") with respect to the second law of thermodynamics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Kris wrote:

ok, choose one subject:

please elaborate on the meaning of the phrase "random sequences".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Kris wrote:

our replies might take time because we both lead busy lives -- so no need to apologize. we may also lose interest or get stuck. but, for as long as the discussion sustains, i feel it will be worth it.

ok, i guess i will first test if you understand the laws of probability:

have you ever wondered how an infinite sequence of a fair coin tosses, or n number of events in a sequence (provided n is sufficiently large), reveals a normal pattern? let us represent the tosses as an infinite sequence of 0s and 1s where 1 = heads of a fair coin and 0 = tails of it. so as per probability laws, an infinite sequence of these tosses, represented as an infinite sequence of a binary number, will be perfectly "normal." normal means that the n events will have roughly the same numbers of 0s and 1s. an infinite sequence will go further: it will have the same number of any sequence present in that sequence.

but how does a coin, hypothetically tossing on a table, know that it has to normalize after a sufficiently large number of events? where does the coin store the data it needs to continually refer to to normalize?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:58 pm

Rashmun wrote:

before discussing the applications of thermodynamics, can we get some clarity on what is meant by "order" and "disorder" (denoted by the word "entropy") with respect to the second law of thermodynamics.

of course! you can read the wikipedia entries on order and disorder in thermodynamics. that is also where i learnt their meanings. while you are at it, you might want to also learn that nowadays entropy (and the laws of thermodynamics) apply to information too (it is at that point that we connect with randomness and randomness in computer science).

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Kris wrote:

our replies might take time because we both lead busy lives -- so no need to apologize. we may also lose interest or get stuck. but, for as long as the discussion sustains, i feel it will be worth it.

ok, i guess i will first test if you understand the laws of probability:

have you ever wondered how an infinite sequence of a fair coin tosses, or n number of events in a sequence (provided n is sufficiently large), reveals a normal pattern? let us represent the tosses as an infinite sequence of 0s and 1s where 1 = heads of a fair coin and 0 = tails of it. so as per probability laws, an infinite sequence of these tosses, represented as an infinite sequence of a binary number, will be perfectly "normal." normal means that the n events will have roughly the same numbers of 0s and 1s. an infinite sequence will go further: it will have the same number of any sequence present in that sequence.

but how does a coin, hypothetically tossing on a table, know that it has to normalize after a sufficiently large number of events? where does the coin store the data it needs to continually refer to to normalize?
>>>I think the answer lies in making the # of events large, without specifying a #. In other words, it is possible - and quite probable- that the head/tail ratio will differ, if we were to to do just a limited # experiments twice or thrice, say with just 10  coin tosses each time. That rules out the possibility of the coin storing the data (ignoring for the moment the fact that the coin has no agency and therefore cannot store it).  I guess I am grappling with the idea here that randomness, itself, paradoxically acquires a  pattern over the long run. This is just off the top of my head. Incidentally, I had a similar question with regard to bell shaped curves when I was exposed to them first in a business stats class.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:31 pm

kris wrote: I guess I am grappling with the idea here that randomness, itself, paradoxically acquires a  pattern over the long run.

yes, you are absolutely right. the formal definition of randomness contains a paradox. yet, this is nothing surprising for science has plentiful such paradoxical definitions and whenever we struggle with one, we are warned that the theorem/axiom/conjecture might seem "counterintuitive." 

i will return to this later in the day. it is worth investigating why we had to define it this way. 

hopefully, as we go through this, you might have some insights to offer that would be equally worth investigating (my purpose of discussing this issue). so, it is all just for fun.

what was your confusion about bell curves? did you get a satisfactory answer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:52 pm

The nature of truth and reality is an interesting topic for these times. 

Two interesting aspects of this...

Large numbers of people believe ideas that are demonstrably false (e.g. flat-earthers, trumpsters). Expertise is actively distrusted, and many people believe that their own gut is the better than the considered opinion of experts (e.g. climate change, tax policy, the appropriateness of vaccinating children).

People in positions of authority are back to making up new realities by merely asserting them often enough. There are far fewer consequences to them now for brazenly lying about important issues. 

Is this the new normal, or will we get back to some degree of shared understanding of facts?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 pm

kris wrote: I guess I am grappling with the idea here that randomness, itself, paradoxically acquires a  pattern over the long run.

yes, you are absolutely right. the formal definition of randomness contains a paradox. yet, this is nothing surprising for science has plentiful such paradoxical definitions and whenever we struggle with one, we are warned that the theorem/axiom might seem "counterintuitive." 

i will return to this later in the day. it might be worth investigating why we had to define it this way. 

hopefully, as we go through this, you might have some insights to offer that would be equally worth investigating (my purpose of discussing this issue). so, it is all just for fun.

what was your confusion about bell curves? did you get a satisfactory answer?
>>>Interesting discussion. On the bell curve, I was intrigued by the idea of distributions from disparate areas of life all falling into a certain (bell) pattern, where you would expect randomness. The guy who taught the class was the one who initially pointed this out, but we later explored other types of distributions as well. This was in the context of a b-school curriculum and applications-oriented and so it was not an in-depth study. I was not on solid ground when it came to stats anyway and chalked it up to one of the mysteries of life.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:51 am

Idéfix wrote:The nature of truth and reality is an interesting topic for these times. 

Is this the new normal, or will we get back to some degree of shared understanding of facts?

since both are the same thought, i have clumped them. they encapsulate your post in a nice symmetry (the beginning and end of your post are indistinguishable).  

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Kris wrote:
 On the bell curve, I was intrigued by the idea of distributions from disparate areas of life all falling into a certain (bell) pattern, where you would expect randomness. The guy who taught the class was the one who initially pointed this out, but we later explored other types of distributions as well. 

(comments in blue, like this one, are digressions. a different coloring will help us omit these sections. you are encouraged to use two colors too.) there are many types of random distributions but what unites all of them is the fact that they are all normal. when i was reading about randomness in wikipedia, i learnt that mandelbrot devised a new distribution that captured the movements of the stock market more accurately than the random walk (bell curve):

• [randomness] the Financial crisis of 2007–2010, and four years before the Flash crash of May 2010, during which the Dow Jones Industrial Averagehad a 1,000 point intraday swing within minutes,[8] Mandelbrot and Nassim Taleb published an article in the Financial Times arguing that the traditional "bell curves" that have been in use for over a century are inadequate for measuring risk in financial markets, given that such curves disregard the possibility of sharp jumps or discontinuities. Contrasting this approach with the traditional approaches based on random walks, they stated:[9] We live in a world primarily driven by random jumps, and tools designed for random walks address the wrong problem. Mandelbrot and Taleb pointed out that although one can assume that the odds of finding a person who is several miles tall are extremely low, similar excessive observations can not be excluded in other areas of application. They argued that while traditional bell curves may provide a satisfactory representation of height and weight in the population, they do not provide a suitable modeling mechanism for market risks or returns, where just ten trading days represent 63 per cent of the returns of the past 50 years.

although probability theory in mathematics originated in the early 17th century, randomness was given a formal definition quite late. i think the formal definition of randomness is still evolving. the one i am familiar with is the one given by gregory chaitin and kolmogorov using notions of computation theory and turing machines (both have applications in computer science). their definitions were formulated in our lifetime. mandelbrot was also in our lifetime and he too might have defined a random distribution for the purposes of statistics (i have not checked). 

if you try to search for the definition of randomness in wikipedia, you won't find it easily. and if you do find a definition, it will not be easy to understand. this difficulty was not deliberately introduced in math and science. there was (and is) a genuine difficulty in defining randomness because of the paradox it contains. probability theory, ironically, flourished despite the lack of a formal definition of randomness -- this also happens routinely in math and science and isn't at all odd. 

i will try defining randomness in a very informal (and probably inaccurate way too. everything i say is subject to two things: the godel incompleteness theorems and my intellectual incompetence. so you are always encouraged to double check what i say with what is written in wikipedia. any inconsistency you find and point out will only help us understand the subject better. )

we are familiar with only that randomness that is computable like the decimal expansions of algebraic irrationals, pi, log normals. so, in a sense, there is nothing random about randomness (or random sequences in arithmetic). if we move from this point in the informal definition of randomness to the other end, i.e. uncomputable or pure randomness, then everything is random about those random sequences, but, they are absolutely impossible to generate (to the extent that one can wonder if the existence of such randomness is at all a valid premise... constructivists think not). these contradictory properties that define the two boundaries of randomness, are united by the property that all these random sequences are normal (equal distribution of all digits and digit sequences in the larger random sequence), but, it is not possible to prove they are normal (except in retrospect on n digits of the number sequence). 

if we agree on the above, we can move on to studying arithmetical randomness with the help of real numbers and from there move to logic and finally back to the way we think (in english or in human language), to see if we have gained a different perspective to see things from (esp. the nature of math, science and logic and not epistemological truths per se. the doors of epistemology will open automatically -- we will not have to spot the doors or push them open i think.)

edit. continuum hypothesis deleted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 am

Kris wrote:
 On the bell curve, I was intrigued by the idea of distributions from disparate areas of life all falling into a certain (bell) pattern, where you would expect randomness. The guy who taught the class was the one who initially pointed this out, but we later explored other types of distributions as well. 

-------------------------------

• ------ Mandelbrot and Taleb pointed out that although one can assume that the odds of finding a person who is several miles tall are extremely low, similar excessive observations can not be excluded in other areas of application. .....

>>>>>This was the gist of my problem when I was first exposed to Bell curves. 

We are familiar with only that randomness that is computable like the decimal expansions of algebraic irrationals, pi, log normals. so, in a sense, there is nothing random about randomness (or random sequences in arithmetic). if we move from this point in the informal definition of randomness to the other end, i.e. uncomputable or pure randomness, then everything is random about those random sequences, but, they are absolutely impossible to generate (to the extent that one can wonder if the existence of such randomness is at all a valid premise... constructivists think not).normal (except in retrospect on n digits of the number sequence). 

>>>>> I am having trouble with the first idea of randomness above. The latter (bolded section above) seems to be the appropriate definition of randomness. I will read up more and come back to this and come back to this in a day or tow. I am in India now and am in the midst of refinancing of a property and neck deep in procedures, much of which does  not seem to make any sense (speaking of randomness:)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 am

Kris wrote:

>>>>> I am having trouble with the first idea of randomness above. The latter (bolded section above) seems to be the appropriate definition of randomness. 

I found it easier to understand which-way-is-up with the help of real numbers but that doesn’t mean it is the only way. 

I will read up more and come back to this and come back to this in a day or tow. I am in India now and am in the midst of refinancing of a property and neck deep in procedures, much of which does  not seem to make any sense (speaking of randomness:)

I hope refinance means lower rates. I think current rates are not going to be lowered for some time. Our method of calculating inflation changed last year and from only-commodities, it has partly moved to cost of services like education, medicine and housing. The latter relentlessly keep getting costlier. I find Kotak the best bank locally. I am a big fan of Uday Kotak. Vijay Sharma, of Paytm, is next. With Softbank and Alibaba behind him, he has infinite source of funds and intends to take over banking and credit cards. But then close on his heels is blockchain banking. Of course, Uday Kotak could adopt blockchain and thus beat both. So, the future is always unpredictable.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:42 am

since you mentioned you want to discuss something interesting in another thread, and posted a long list most of which i am not that deeply familiar. but two on the list is something i can discuss:

a) time's arrow as evidenced by the second law of thermodynamics. my question -- why did you say the proof was inductive?
b) uncertainty (or fluctuations) in QM. my question to you is whether you know that this uncertainty is fundamental and intrinsic to nature itself and is not attributed to some measuring error.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:since you mentioned you want to discuss something interesting in another thread, and posted a long list most of which i am not that deeply familiar. but two on the list is something i can discuss:

a) time's arrow as evidenced by the second law of thermodynamics. my question -- why did you say the proof was inductive?
b) uncertainty (or fluctuations) in QM.  my question to you is whether you know that this uncertainty is fundamental and intrinsic to nature itself and is not attributed to some measuring error.

either here or on sulekha, you had once written a long post on the second law of thermodynamics, entropy, and evolution. would you be able to repost it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:since you mentioned you want to discuss something interesting in another thread, and posted a long list most of which i am not that deeply familiar. but two on the list is something i can discuss:

b) uncertainty (or fluctuations) in QM.  my question to you is whether you know that this uncertainty is fundamental and intrinsic to nature itself and is not attributed to some measuring error.
hi max.

uncertainty 

if by uncertainty you mean randomness and if by randomness, we mean computational or algorithmic randomness, then as per the chaitin-construction, randomness is an inherent property of any computational model. chaitin's proof is based on turing machines and turing's proof is based on godel's theorems. throughout this, we take computation and turing machine (computer) to loosely mean a human being because both are finite and use the same logic (classical logic). from here one can argue that uncertainty exists in a human mind and a similar uncertainty exists at a quantum level -- are they the same uncertainty? if yes then which came first? there is, as of yet, no formal proof that godel's incompleteness is equivalent to quantum uncertainty but the similarity is stark (even in basic peano arithmetic, if you know a side of a square with precision, you do not know the diagonal with "equal" precision and vice versa -- this similarity is a crazy similarity and i know nobody will entertain it but it makes idiots like me wonder). lastly, not all physicists agree on the interpretations we give to equations in physics but we all agree with its math -- so if you believe we learn randomness from nature, you could be right but so could someone else who interprets QM to mean we are inseparable from nature or nature is a simulated reality etc. but you two physicists will all agree with the math when you meet in the lab. i will leave you with an anecdote here concerning the experts on QM and see if we are on the same page in its interpretation:

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-Godel-incompleteness-theorem-explain-the-Heisenberg-uncertainty-principle wrote:
Karl Svozil reports in his book, Randomness and Undecidability in Physics, p. 112, that Gregory Chaitin asked John Wheeler about the relationship between Gödel’s Theorem and Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle. According to Svozil, Chaitin recalls:
[[In 1979]] I went up to [[John Archibald]] Wheeler and I asked him, “Prof. Wheeler, do you think there's a connection between Godel's incompleteness theorem and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?” Actually, I'dheard that he did, so I asked him, "What connection do you think there is between Godel's incompleteness theorem andHeisenberg's uncertainty principle?" This is what Wheeler answered.
He said, "Well, one day I was at the Institute for Advanced Study, and I went to Gödel’s office, and there was Gödel ...” I think Wheeler said that it was winter and Gödel had an electric heater and had his legs wrapped in a blanket. Wheeler said, “I went to Gödel, and I asked him, ‘Prof. Gödel, what connection do you see between your incompleteness theorem and Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle?’ ” I believe that Wheeler exaggerated a little bit now. He said,"And Gödel got angry and threw me out of his office!” Wheeler blamed Einstein for this. He said that Einstein had brain-washed Gödel against quantum mechanics and against Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle!
As Svozil points out, “several attempts have been made to translate mathematical undecidability into a physical context”. See his book chapter 9.
Cristian Calude and Michael Stay wrote a paper “From Heisenberg to Gödel via Chaitin.” So, there is a good reason to dig for the relationship between these two deep and fundamental results.

there is a lecture (for laymen) by hawking on godel and physics that discusses the impact of godel in physics: http://www.hawking.org.uk/godel-and-the-end-of-physics.html

thermodynamics:

i "feel" (feel means a layman's confusion) that inductive reasoning used to formulate natural laws in physics assumes time is absolute or fixed. or in einstein theories light is fixed. something or the other is always fixed in any physical theory and they appear as constants (and we don't know if in reality anything is indeed fixed -- sounds crazy i know but sorry). i think you can't have a physical theory without something fixed (again this is a godel-ian interpretation about any theory). peculiarly, the laws of thermodynamics are the only natural law that are not time reversible. and thermodynamics appears as a frame in which all of physics is contained. thermodynamics seem to define time itself, namely that time always moves forward. i guess this is inductive reasoning? if not then what reasoning is it? i did put a question mark when i said that thermodynamics heavily uses time and inductive reasoning to formulate itself. i am sure i am making many mistakes here in understanding. but i am curious and do not want to feel intimidated by the fact that since experts will always know more about these subjects than me, there is no point in investigating the subject. correct me if feasible -- because there is a possibility that i might be conflating so many things that it might not be possible for you to correct me and that the best you could do is suggest i take a college level class on thermodynamics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:50 am

if you feel uncomfortable extrapolating godel so carelessly, like i do, to "any logical system," because, in godel's own words, his theorems were about "finitary number theory or combinatorics" and nothing more, or less, then you can refer to tarski's theorems which are godel theorems rephrased for any logical system. 

tarski theorem:

Smullyan (1991, 2001) has argued forcefully that Tarski's undefinability theorem deserves much of the attention garnered by Gödel's incompleteness theorems. That the latter theorems have much to say about all of mathematics and more controversially, about a range of philosophical issues (e.g., Lucas 1961) is less than evident. Tarski's theorem, on the other hand, is not directly about mathematics but about the inherent limitations of any formal language sufficiently expressive to be of real interest. Such languages are necessarily capable of enough self-reference for the diagonal lemma to apply to them. The broader philosophical import of Tarski's theorem is more strikingly evident.

-------------------------------------------

in college i used to believe that man could never create an AI computer that could equal him because godel's theorem would prohibit man from learning complete information about himself and that would imply that he could never recreate that complete information in a computer.

but, about two months ago, i got the feeling that google search had become extremely human like (if not better) and i decided to revisit the godel theorems for it seemed i had misunderstood them. it turned out that if man is incomplete, then he "could" create a computer that was "as incomplete as him." and if he could, then what would the difference between the computer and man be? then i realized why turing had formulated the turing test: it was not a flimsy test.. it was a relevant test envisioned ahead of time. the latest evolution of the turing test is the capcha test. 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:49 am

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-Godel-incompleteness-theorem-explain-the-Heisenberg-uncertainty-principle wrote:
Karl Svozil reports in his book, Randomness and Undecidability in Physics, p. 112, that Gregory Chaitin asked John Wheeler about the relationship between Gödel’s Theorem and Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle. According to Svozil, Chaitin recalls:

[[In 1979]] I went up to [[John Archibald]] Wheeler and I asked him, “Prof. Wheeler, do you think there's a connection between Godel's incompleteness theorem and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?” Actually, I'dheard that he did, so I asked him, "What connection do you think there is between Godel's incompleteness theorem andHeisenberg's uncertainty principle?" This is what Wheeler answered.
He said, "Well, one day I was at the Institute for Advanced Study, and I went to Gödel’s office, and there was Gödel ...” I think Wheeler said that it was winter and Gödel had an electric heater and had his legs wrapped in a blanket. Wheeler said, “I went to Gödel, and I asked him, ‘Prof. Gödel, what connection do you see between your incompleteness theorem and Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle?’ ” I believe that Wheeler exaggerated a little bit now. He said,"And Gödel got angry and threw me out of his office!” Wheeler blamed Einstein for this. He said that Einstein had brain-washed Gödel against quantum mechanics and against Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle!
result of are incompleteness and uncertainty the same? answered as a sequence :

some physicist/mathematician (author of above internet entry) went to a physicist (svozil) who went to a mathematician (chaitin) who went to a physicist (wheeler) who went to a mathematician (godel) who, it seems, was prejudiced by some physicist/mathematician (einstein and himself)

ROFL! is this the nature of reality? 

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 am

to understand very basic issues in quantum mechanics and the nature of uncertainty i could do no better than recommend watching the first lecture of prof balakrishnan's quantum physics lecture series which IIT-M has posted on youtube. the first lecture is for a lay audience. no great grasp of advanced mathematics necessary.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:to understand very basic issues in quantum mechanics and the nature of uncertainty i could do no better than recommend watching the first lecture of prof balakrishnan's quantum physics lecture series which IIT-M has posted on youtube. the first lecture is for a lay audience. no great grasp of advanced mathematics necessary.
really amazing man -- humble, teaches with clarity that comes only with a deep knowledge of the subject, explains from both, a mathematician's perspective and a physicist's. but, unfortunately, other than hawking, no one seems interested in the godel theorems. 

anyway, i learnt the following things (to paraphrase him):

- QM interpretation is a semantic failure, a failure of language. the description is best captured mathematically. 
- there is a boundary problem when extrapolating from QM to classical state. QM is continuous whereas when it becomes classical it approximates to a state which can be treated as discrete but we do not know where this boundary is crossed.
- it is possible that we live in a universe where everything moves at the speed of light and you don't have a non relativistic (classical -- double negatives used) regime at all but we don't know if it is feasible because we cannot understand things that are not at our scale (large objects).
- of the 3 constants, h is mass, c is length and g is time. we don't know why quantum g eludes us -- maybe it is a function of the other two. it is clear that spacetime breaks down below quantum scale so we wouldn't know how g would behave at that scale. 
- it is very likely QM will undergo drastic changes. but QM will still be relevant at its own scale as newton physics is. 

* that resolves my thermodynamic confusion. the present physics explains the observable reality. but we don't know how the observable reality arises from QM. both theories (classical and QM) are consistent but until things like boundary condition and sub QM phenomena are answered, we won't know how to answer these questions.
* the way we reason has a grounding in QM. classical logic is propositional or binary. QM logic is different (probabilistic? fuzzy logic?). but even if other logics display higher computation speed, there is enough indication to believe that they too would be restricted by godel theorems. i think turing proved this with his hypercomputational or oracle proof. it is impossible to ascertain though whether QM comes first or classical logic comes first in nature (if they at all have a temporal nature -- string theory might shed light on all causality paradoxes). 
* the cantor set is an interesting construction that can contain the universe between 0 and 1 and store/display it either as a continuum or discrete states (take your pic -- end result same). we have continuums (colors) at our scale too and this problem is not confined to travel from quantum to classical scale.  the boundary problem also has an interesting solution but it is good only for our scale i think -- amartya sen

i think that is enough research for me for a lifetime. i think after increasing the entropy of my neighbourhood by thinking so much whole day, i have earned a long vacation. 

thanks for the link max. if you feel any of my conjectures above are incorrect (including paraphrasing of prof. balakrishnan), let me know. do you keep running into his kids?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>> I am having trouble with the first idea of randomness above. The latter (bolded section above) seems to be the appropriate definition of randomness. 

I found it easier to understand which-way-is-up with the help of real numbers but that doesn’t mean it is the only way. 

I will read up more and come back to this and come back to this in a day or tow. I am in India now and am in the midst of refinancing of a property and neck deep in procedures, much of which does  not seem to make any sense (speaking of randomness:)

I hope refinance means lower rates. I think current rates are not going to be lowered for some time. Our method of calculating inflation changed last year and from only-commodities, it has partly moved to cost of services like education, medicine and housing. The latter relentlessly keep getting costlier. I find Kotak the best bank locally. I am a big fan of Uday Kotak. Vijay Sharma, of Paytm, is next. With Softbank and Alibaba behind him, he has infinite source of funds and intends to take over banking and credit cards. But then close on his heels is blockchain banking. Of course, Uday Kotak could adopt blockchain and thus beat both. So, the future is always unpredictable.
>>>>Unfortunately, I have not been able to do much comparison shopping, due to time constraints. My loan now is with ICICI which the builder cajoled me into 4 years ago. In fairness, I went along with it, because I knew some people there and had to wrap it up within a couple of weeks. Due to the short tenure and the high int rate, my game plan as of last month was to do some cash out on a refinance on my rental property in the US and pay this loan off. The US $ is substantially cheaper in the near term. Since I am hoping to sell this India rental and repatriate the funds within 2 to 3,maybe 4, years, I don't think a rupee slide, as a worst case scenario, will still make the US option a less viable option. Still, I am going to grin and bear it with the refi locally in India, because of the logistics involved with the  US $ option, which I will be required to orchestrate. The process is laborious as it is. I need to read up more on random numbers. As I mentioned previously, my knowledge is at best at a layman's  level. Happy new year to you and your family.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>Unfortunately, I have not been able to do much comparison shopping, due to time constraints. My loan now is with ICICI which the builder cajoled me into 4 years ago. In fairness, I went along with it, because I knew some people there and had to wrap it up within a couple of weeks. Due to the short tenure and the high int rate, my game plan as of last month was to do some cash out on a refinance on my rental property in the US and pay this loan off. The US $ is substantially cheaper in the near term. Since I am hoping to sell this India rental and repatriate the funds within 2 to 3,maybe 4, years, I don't think a rupee slide, as a worst case scenario, will still make the US option a less viable option. Still, I am going to grin and bear it with the refi locally in India, because of the logistics involved with the  US $ option, which I will be required to orchestrate. The process is laborious as it is. I need to read up more on random numbers. As I mentioned previously, my knowledge is at best at a layman's  level. Happy new year to you and your family.
happy new year! what a year it has been in retrospect, at least for me. last year, on this day, i had embarked on a journey of a life with zero addictions. 

i get your reasoning. i feel it is sensible. icici is my banker but i don't like icici now. they overcharge with a lot of hidden costs. i'm trying to shift to kotak. lending principles have become very tight now. banks will lend only if you have collateral and the percentage of collateral required will depend on your crisil rating. i/we can't get a perfect crisil score because our score is tied to our service client (mostly tata steel) and our score can only be lower than the client's. 

don't overanalyze. just go with your decision. i feel overanalysis can immobilize. at least that is what physics says, ha ha -- quantum zeno

yup, chat up with you if you ever get around to revisiting randomness. i hope i do not forget my theorems by then, ha ha. you can say the secret to the universe lies in defining randomness. randomness is always relative. pure randomness is only a "good idea." -- it does not exist. it is just like platonic forms (we don't know if they exist). everything has a conjugate variable to use a term from QM. but then , the secret lies in anything in physics/math taken to its logical end. in professor balakrishnan's video, theoretically we can go down to 10^-35 metre in length. and we are in the middle in QM at 10^-17 m and stuck because we are limited by our instruments and can't dig deeper. if you look up, probably there too we can't see beyond an equivalent scale and the rest is hypothesis. we are in the middle in every direction and were always this way in history. we don't know if we will ever cross the middle. life might always be a mystery to ue hawking's words.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 pm

pure randomness is only a "good idea." -- it does not exist. 

correction -- pure randomness probably does not exist. we don't know and can't be sure right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 pm

so many things are mysterious in life. the theory of language says language developed overnight. evidence says it could not have developed in the jungle for in a jungle language will surely die and overnight! we are searching for the genetic mutation that installed language in homosapiens. we will find it. it's like one day we woke up and starting talking in shakespeare fatafat with other humans. and that is like human memory isn't it? we have no memory of our birth and a few years after. then suddenly we started talking. we don't remember when it happened. we don't remember which came first -- logic or language? as if there is a difference. these things (conjugate stuff) that look mysterious aren't mysterious (probably). that's evolutionary biology. in biology, the virus is equally mysterious -- fundamental rna building block of all life, alive when inside life, dead outside, can kill, evolves like humans (survival of the flattest and not fittest).  i remember a famous string theorist, young guy, saying that in 20 years we will be wearing the universal equation on our t shirts. i hope i live to see it! anyway, enough of these crazy thoughts. let me leave all this behind as we enter the new year!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down