Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an interesting plot

3 posters

Go down

an interesting plot Empty an interesting plot

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm

an interesting plot Figure242
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

an interesting plot Empty Re: an interesting plot

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:15 pm

interesting indeed, but the positive correlation is expected. thank you for posting it. e.i.a.?

note the efficient (pareto-optimal) and inefficient frontiers, i.e., nations that consume the least and most energy per $ of gdp. they are, by and large, in the southwest and northeast, respectively, of the plot. (they *should* ideally be in the northwest, and southeast.)

inefficient users of energy: zambia, nigeria, and indonesia; the last two have large energy resources, and they don't even have cold winters. zambia and nigeria consume about 0.02 kwh/$ of gdp

efficient users: the developed nations: the u.s., western europe, japan, hong kong, and australia. the u.s consumes only about 0.0057 kwh/$ of gdp (compare that with 0.02 for nigeria).

the u.k. and japan are more energy-efficient producers than germany, france, netherlands, australia, or canada. i'm surprised about australia.

the most energy-efficient producer of gdp i could find is hong kong, at about 0.0022 kwh/$ of gdp.

when i saw the title of your post, i thought it was about a rashmun/northindian plot to discredit the tholkaappiyam.

Last edited by Jeremiah Mburuburu on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:interesting indeed, but the positive correlation is expected. thank you for posting it. e.i.a.?

note the efficient (pareto-optimal) and inefficient frontiers, i.e., nations that consume the least and most energy per $ of gdp. they are, by and large, in the southwest and northeast, respectively, of the plot.

inefficient users of energy: zambia, nigeria, and indonesia; the last two have large energy resources, and they don't even have cold winters. zambia and nigeria consume about 0.02 kwh/$ of gdp

efficient users: the developed nations: the u.s., western europe, japan, hong kong, and australia. the u.s consumes only about 0.0057 kwh/$ of gdp (compare that with 0.02 for nigeria).

the u.k. and japan are more energy-efficient producers than germany, france, netherlands, australia, or canada. i'm surprised about australia.

the most energy-efficient producer of gdp i could find is hong kong, at about 0.0022 kwh/$ of gdp.

when i saw the title of your post, i thought it was about a rashmun/northindian plot to discredit the tholkaappiyam.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:interesting indeed, but the positive correlation is expected. thank you for posting it. e.i.a.?

note the efficient (pareto-optimal) and inefficient frontiers, i.e., nations that consume the least and most energy per $ of gdp. they are, by and large, in the southwest and northeast, respectively, of the plot. (they *should* ideally be in the northwest, and southeast.)

yes hong kong struck me immediately. they have the same per cap gdp as the UK and they are more efficient. must be doing something right and the US isn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. that's another one. no this is not from the EIA. it's from here (http://www.withouthotair.com/). it's become my favorite bedtime reading lately. aside: rashmun's agenda driven posts do not interest me any more.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:15 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
yes hong kong struck me immediately. they have the same per cap gdp as the UK and they are more efficient. must be doing something right and the US isn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be. that's another one. no this is not from the EIA. it's from here (http://www.withouthotair.com/). it's become my favorite bedtime reading lately. aside: rashmun's agenda driven posts do not interest me any more.

Germany, France, and even Britain have a varying weather, and the winter does consume significant energy, unlike Hong Kong. Also, Hong Kong and Singapore are like City State with limited transportation - driving and moving goods inside - and more emphasis on mass transport.

I also thought it was perhaps a rashmunesque post, who is fast becoming the "Strawbery Pink" of this site.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down