Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idée fixe

+7
Impedimenta
ashaNirasha
charvaka
Propagandhi711
doofus_maximus
SomeProfile
Hellsangel
11 posters

Go down

Idée fixe Empty Idée fixe

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 10, 2011 2:35 pm

An idée fixe is a preoccupation of mind held so firmly as to resist any attempt to modify it, a fixation. The name originates from the French [French : idée, idea + fixe, fixed]. Although not used technically to denote a particular disorder in psychology, idée fixe is used often in the description of disorders, and is employed widely in literature and everyday English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%C3%A9e_fixe_%28psychology%29
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Idée fixe Empty Re: Idée fixe

Post by SomeProfile Tue May 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I also like the way the French think.

I have a PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience (concentration: Language Acquisition and Neurogenesis) but it is a little known fact that the French are able to process phonemes, the smallest unit of speech that form meaning, in an exquisite way that bypasses the motor cortex and traditional 'language centres' in the brain that are normally used to formulate and utter coherent sentences/languages. Neuroscientists and psychologists are still trying to unravel the mystery, with current researchers trying to further map the neuron-matrix in the lobes of the brain that deal with language in more detail.

Fascinating. It has me stumped!

Source: Lifted directly from this esteemed master troll.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 pm

SomeProfile wrote:I also like the way the French think.

Source: Lifted directly from this esteemed master troll.

uppli in all his glory...
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 10, 2011 3:17 pm

what uppili does might be funny if only he said what he says with a measure of irony.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 10, 2011 6:03 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
An idée fixe is a preoccupation of mind held so firmly as to resist any attempt to modify it, a fixation. The name originates from the French [French : idée, idea + fixe, fixed]. Although not used technically to denote a particular disorder in psychology, idée fixe is used often in the description of disorders, and is employed widely in literature and everyday English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%C3%A9e_fixe_%28psychology%29
Who are we talking about? BTW, I really like Idefix / Dogmatix.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 11, 2011 11:31 am

charvaka wrote:
Who do you know with fixations here?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am

Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Who do you know with fixations here?
Ah, that depends on what the meaning of here is.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed May 18, 2011 8:54 pm

*bump*
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm

*bump*
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:11 pm

Right now, I have a major idee fixe (is that how you use that in a sentence?). I can't seem to get around it. Some one suggested I have a couple of glasses of wine, right in the middle of the after noon, and go to bed.

I even read all 10 parts of love story, AND the interim story, to try to lose this fixe. Sad

The good news is that, I can now beat DKhead in the love story trivia, and am probably a better talent hunter for the cast of characters. Smile

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:27 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Right now, I have a major idee fixe (is that how you use that in a sentence?). I can't seem to get around it. Some one suggested I have a couple of glasses of wine, right in the middle of the after noon, and go to bed.

I even read all 10 parts of love story, AND the interim story, to try to lose this fixe. Sad

The good news is that, I can now beat DKhead in the love story trivia, and am probably a better talent hunter for the cast of characters. Smile
Go on...
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:I even read all 10 parts of love story, AND the interim story, to try to lose this fixe. Sad
Sounds really bad.

ashaNirasha wrote:The good news is that, I can now beat DKhead in the love story trivia
Who's DKhead?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 pm

charvaka wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:I even read all 10 parts of love story, AND the interim story, to try to lose this fixe. Sad
Sounds really bad.

ashaNirasha wrote:The good news is that, I can now beat DKhead in the love story trivia
Who's DKhead?

Richard head, the aunty baiter+ the only other guy who probably read all 10 parts. Which makes me wonder if it is a female handle.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:47 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Right now, I have a major idee fixe (is that how you use that in a sentence?). I can't seem to get around it. Some one suggested I have a couple of glasses of wine, right in the middle of the after noon, and go to bed.

wait, what are you trying to un-fixate yourself from that you had to read 11 parts of the stories and then needed a wine?

while you are at it, any comments? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Go on...

you know just like they have a facility for massages and stuff at work, workers should be allowed to have a glass of wine during lunch. it would totally make my day go that much faster.....i could swear that this woman i work with has a secret stash in her cubicle somewhere. sometimes in meetings, she looks like she is in la la land.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:59 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Sounds really bad.

Who's DKhead?

Richard head, the aunty baiter+ the only other guy who probably read all 10 parts. Which makes me wonder if it is a female handle.

lol! @ DKHEAD- My guess is these unkils are from all boys school/college...they assume the only way to interact with women is to poke them....these men greet with a conservative namaste instead to shaking hands when they meet girls socially Very Happy ...once girls pass by quickly update on CH with their encounter ...posting pics from net or drooling on their butts and support system Smile ...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm

rekz - support system? men have a support system as well? eww...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Impedimenta wrote:you know just like they have a facility for massages and stuff at work, workers should be allowed to have a glass of wine during lunch.
I approve this message. I have done some of my best work after a glass (or two) of wine.

Talking about la-la land, I suspect one of the people I work with these days does a joint of pot before coming to work. It's fun to do 8 am meetings with that person.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Comments? It did remind me of all those tortured teen years and love triangles. It could have been the story of at least two friends of mine, with some minor changes, of course.

What else? It is sorta sweet, tolerable (because, honestly, I thought it would be unbearable). Can't believe you remember the details so well.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm

what did shaken call the support system?

over the shoulder boulder? no... that was not it, what was that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:05 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:Comments? It did remind me of all those tortured teen years and love triangles. It could have been the story of at least two friends of mine, with some minor changes, of course.

What else? It is sorta sweet, tolerable (because, honestly, I thought it would be unbearable). Can't believe you remember the details so well.

ya well, when I was writing this, I had to dig my memory hard. I remembered things by remembering some conversation or comments. I am sure if Kamal was writing this story, some events may come up which I had forgotten.

My only dilemma was to decide what all to keep to keep the story in flow and remove e'thing that caused a distraction. Had to thus cut out many memorable incidences and juicy side stories.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Impedimenta wrote:rekz - support system? men have a support system as well? eww...

edit-butt & bras(support system)

Actually some men need support system..rofl..eg.Mohanlal lol!
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:Comments? It did remind me of all those tortured teen years and love triangles. It could have been the story of at least two friends of mine, with some minor changes, of course.

ya well, when I was writing this, I had to dig my memory hard. I remembered things by remembering some conversation or comments. I am sure if Kamal was writing this story, some events may come up which I had forgotten.

My only dilemma was to decide what all to keep to keep the story in flow and remove e'thing that caused a distraction. Had to thus cut out many memorable incidences and juicy side stories.

What?! I sorta feel betrayed. Who cares about the flow when you leave out the memorable stuff. You made us read 10 parts without the juicy side stories. No fair.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

hahaha... mostly interesting encounters, mostly with Kabir when Rajshree was with Kamal. Also, Sumeet, that goonda from part 1, had had a lot of run ins with Kamal and his friends, and how he had tried talking to her about Kamal... there were a couple of more guys with whom Kamal had to deal with. Also stories of friends... like that friend's bf who had proposed to Rajshree... that love story had not ended there; there were many future incidences with Jamal, that boy's name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
you know just like they have a facility for massages and stuff at work, workers should be allowed to have a glass of wine during lunch. it would totally make my day go that much faster.....i could swear that this woman i work with has a secret stash in her cubicle somewhere. sometimes in meetings, she looks like she is in la la land.

On that note, have you tried the AMC dine-in theaters in NJ? They have these really cushy chairs with leg room more spacious than airlines' business class and wait staff to serve food & alcohol. There's a full bar near the ticket booths so even the wait time is actually pleasurable. But after that my movie-going experience has been terrible 'coz I can't find such drink & dinner theaters elsewhere. Do try it if you haven't so.

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:31 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Sounds really bad.

Who's DKhead?

Why? Just 'cos I read all 10 parts? Very Happy Did you not read the reasons as to why i read it? What's my name again, Ms. Contradiction? :-)

There's no aunty-baiting going on...they're like leaping fish - leaping into the net, anyways...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Rekz wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Sounds really bad.

Who's DKhead?

lol! @ DKHEAD- My guess is these unkils are from all boys school/college...they assume the only way to interact with women is to poke them....these men greet with a conservative namaste instead to shaking hands when they meet girls socially Very Happy ...once girls pass by quickly update on CH with their encounter ...posting pics from net or drooling on their butts and support system Smile ...

Can someone translate this mylapore-aunty-blippity-blop into English, please? :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

she means that when you are actually face with a girl, you do a shy namaste, coz all you think one should do to a woman is to poke her.... and when that girl is out of site, you drool about her body parts, and posts pictures of her.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:she means that when you are actually face with a girl, you do a shy namaste, coz all you think one should do to a woman is to poke her.... and when that girl is out of site, you drool about her body parts, and posts pictures of her.

Wanted to respond before you deleted this. Hahaha.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:she means that when you are actually face with a girl, you do a shy namaste, coz all you think one should do to a woman is to poke her.... and when that girl is out of site, you drool about her body parts, and posts pictures of her.

Thanks - I got that.

Now will you please say that in a kaatu-accent, contorting your face and super-flabby body, thumping to make a point; while the earth shakes underneath, nostrils flaring and eyes bulging; while mentally congratulating yourself for such an vvwariginal thought - like Rekz, please? :-)

It just doesn't resonate otherwise, you know...

PS: don't mean to go flimmy or chowdaah on you but, you meant "sight", not "site", I presume. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:48 pm

what's a kaatu accent? and ya, I meant sight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:50 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

Wanted to respond before you deleted this. Hahaha.

lol and Embarassed yeah I would have deleted it after a few minutes... damn, I like this site for its delete feature, but I hate it when I can't do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:what's a kaatu accent? and ya, I meant sight.

Kaatu => tamil - a slang from where I come from...

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:44 am

Richard Hed wrote:

Thanks - I got that.

Now will you please say that in a kaatu-accent, contorting your face and super-flabby body, thumping to make a point; while the earth shakes underneath, nostrils flaring and eyes bulging; while mentally congratulating yourself for such an vvwariginal thought - like Rekz, please? :-)

It just doesn't resonate otherwise, you know...

PS: don't mean to go flimmy or chowdaah on you but, you meant "sight", not "site", I presume. Smile

Im so over-powered by the brain chemistry between both you...what a support system!! hope your sizes match..LOL...
I don't want to give anymore psychological trauma to DKHEAD by addressing him as unkil...i wish you keep your body,soul.mind & heart always young & bubbly...Happy old age Laughing DKbose
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Sounds really bad.

Who's DKhead?

female handle??..hmm possible..or yet another alter-ego of some old timer on CH Rolling Eyes
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 am

Silhouette wrote:On that note, have you tried the AMC dine-in theaters in NJ? They have these really cushy chairs with leg room more spacious than airlines' business class and wait staff to serve food & alcohol. There's a full bar near the ticket booths so even the wait time is actually pleasurable. But after that my movie-going experience has been terrible 'coz I can't find such drink & dinner theaters elsewhere. Do try it if you haven't so.

Oh I didn't know these existed. Just yesterday, I was wishing they'd serve beer in the cinema hall and then told myself it's silly to expect this in the third-world dump that is Mumbai - where one needs to be 25 to legally drink beer!! - when it doesn't happen even in America. But NJ must be an aberration. I'm sure this happy arrangement doesn't exist in most other places.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

Silhouette wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

On that note, have you tried the AMC dine-in theaters in NJ? They have these really cushy chairs with leg room more spacious than airlines' business class and wait staff to serve food & alcohol. There's a full bar near the ticket booths so even the wait time is actually pleasurable. But after that my movie-going experience has been terrible 'coz I can't find such drink & dinner theaters elsewhere. Do try it if you haven't so.

I have heard so much about this [the one in Menlo Park] and have been meaning to try it out. Alcohol during the wait time? :-) That sounds just about right. i am also waiting for my son to grow up a bit more so i can start watching movies left, right and center. i used to be such a marathon movie watcher and it would have really helped me to have some alcohol in the mix at that time.
Otherwise, hope you are doing ok. i don't see you much here. i know i meant to invite you for my previous dance program in NJ but never got to actually write to you. There is one planned very soon and will definitely do so more so because i need to gather more people to attend to benefit my charity :-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:55 am

hey how about me... sillo may not want to cross all the bridges and tunnels to get to NJ, but I am right here in your neighborhood. I can definitely drag my daughter along, so it'd be two tix for your show/charity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:hey how about me... sillo may not want to cross all the bridges and tunnels to get to NJ, but I am right here in your neighborhood. I can definitely drag my daughter along, so it'd be two tix for your show/charity.
Will send you an email. Was definitely meaning to.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Impedimenta wrote: I have heard so much about this [the one in Menlo Park] and have been meaning to try it out. Alcohol during the wait time? :-) That sounds just about right. i am also waiting for my son to grow up a bit more so i can start watching movies left, right and center. i used to be such a marathon movie watcher and it would have really helped me to have some alcohol in the mix at that time.
Otherwise, hope you are doing ok. i don't see you much here. i know i meant to invite you for my previous dance program in NJ but never got to actually write to you. There is one planned very soon and will definitely do so more so because i need to gather more people to attend to benefit my charity :-)

I'm quite well, thank you. And by tomorrow I should be even better. Have a massage scheduled and a spa treatment for a facial and hair in the morning yayyy.

Looks like you had a good time in India. I was planning to accompany my sis-in-law for her trip to Madras later this year but she cancelled so I chucked my plans too. Was looking forward to it too. Probably next summer. Some kid has his thread ceremony scheduled. I'm not sure how important it is to attend those but I guess i'll go anyways, to sightsee Madras. I just hope the ceremony doesn't turn out more exciting than your city :-)

I went to the AMC in Bridgewater Commons. An evening of shopping followed by drinks and dinner in the movies; real good! When are you planning the benefit? If you have anything around late Sept/early Oct, I can probably make it. Otherwise, if you put together brochures, do send me a copy. Girls in my extended family have always been part of local desi dance studios, the younger ones still are and if you'd like I can advertise it there.

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote: Oh I didn't know these existed. Just yesterday, I was wishing they'd serve beer in the cinema hall and then told myself it's silly to expect this in the third-world dump that is Mumbai - where one needs to be 25 to legally drink beer!! - when it doesn't happen even in America. But NJ must be an aberration. I'm sure this happy arrangement doesn't exist in most other places.

But it should be real easy to pull this in a third world dump where rules are discretionary, no? Do indian theaters still have those guys with flashlights who check your tickets and escort you to your seats? He'll let you sneak in your bottle, just share some with him.

25, eh? I am fairly certainly I've seen 16 yr olds drinking in bars in Mumbai. I guess this law is implemented once a year on Shiv Sena's auspicious Ganpati Visarjan day?

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Silhouette wrote:
Impedimenta wrote: I have heard so much about this [the one in Menlo Park] and have been meaning to try it out. Alcohol during the wait time? :-) That sounds just about right. i am also waiting for my son to grow up a bit more so i can start watching movies left, right and center. i used to be such a marathon movie watcher and it would have really helped me to have some alcohol in the mix at that time.

I'm quite well, thank you. And by tomorrow I should be even better. Have a massage scheduled and a spa treatment for a facial and hair in the morning yayyy.

Looks like you had a good time in India. I was planning to accompany my sis-in-law for her trip to Madras later this year but she cancelled so I chucked my plans too. Was looking forward to it too. Probably next summer. Some kid has his thread ceremony scheduled. I'm not sure how important it is to attend those but I guess i'll go anyways, to sightsee Madras. I just hope the ceremony doesn't turn out more exciting than your city :-)

I went to the AMC in Bridgewater Commons. An evening of shopping followed by drinks and dinner in the movies; real good! When are you planning the benefit? If you have anything around late Sept/early Oct, I can probably make it. Otherwise, if you put together brochures, do send me a copy. Girls in my extended family have always been part of local desi dance studios, the younger ones still are and if you'd like I can advertise it there.

One piece of advice. If you do not have to deal with kids and school schedules, please do not make the trip during the summer. Chennai is excruciating in summer with all the power cuts and traffic combined with the heat [not that it is any better today in NJ] and definitely not the time for sightseeing. December is the best time. And, don't forget to thrown in a trip to god's own country. It is totally worth it.

I mainly went for three reasons this summer to Chennai, a) my in laws b) dance classes and c) thread ceremony. Usually, I am a skeptic when it comes to traditional thamizh Brahmin ceremonies but boy did I have fun! We actually performed the ceremony and got to deck up in the traditional nine yards and stuff. It was like a mini wedding complete with gossipy old thanjavur grandmas and everything. I also got to perform. Give it a shot. You will enjoy the experience.

I will let you know about my dance schedule. I would appreciate any help that you can extend. Thanks!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I may have to work around their schedule but to be honest I dont care. I know most of the people quite well now and I'm hoping good company with offset the heat waves just like it does with snowstorms (I bet you're thinking i'm naive and underestimating chennai summers. Smile )

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:23 am

Silhouette wrote:But it should be real easy to pull this in a third world dump where rules are discretionary, no? Do indian theaters still have those guys with flashlights who check your tickets and escort you to your seats? He'll let you sneak in your bottle, just share some with him.

Haha..alas, those days of smuggling in little "quarters" are now long past. I'm now older and softer. I only have liquor if it's served to me. Yes, I'm on my way to unkildom.

Silhouette wrote:25, eh? I am fairly certainly I've seen 16 yr olds drinking in bars in Mumbai. I guess this law is implemented once a year on Shiv Sena's auspicious Ganpati Visarjan day?

They just passed this no-beer-till-25 rule recently (but wine is fine). In addition to being a third world dump, Mumbai is schizophrenic too. No liquor can be sold / served one day of the month - a designated payday. Why, there's even a law which allows cops to penalize you for consuming liquor in the privacy of your own home, if you don't hold a liquor permit. This place would make for a rich satire, if it weren't so pathetically true.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Silhouette wrote:Thanks for the info. I may have to work around their schedule but to be honest I dont care. I know most of the people quite well now and I'm hoping good company with offset the heat waves just like it does with snowstorms (I bet you're thinking i'm naive and underestimating chennai summers. Smile )

>>>> Sil,

You *are* underestimating chennai summers Smile(heck, summer anywhere in india- my wife was in delhi for few days last month and said it was basically hell). Chennai has the add'l feature of humidity. Go in december if you can.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum