Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cage

3 posters

Go down

cage Empty cage

Post by desi aunty Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:38 pm

well, no one knows what a bird thinks, coz the basic nature of a bird is to fly. but have seen this in some caged minds. who knows even i am one in some contexts, it's all subjective. interesting thought though

cage 84336335_2814239118663347_2238392304471638016_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ohc=sZi_XmLllesAX98rsPl&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-2

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

cage Empty Re: cage

Post by Kris Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:18 am

It is a question of nature + nurture. You would think the bird would have a genetic memory about flying that the cage stifles. The parallel to humans may be a human being being forced not to walk or talk. In terms of not wanting to take risks, soar high etc., I think it is more governed by environmental conditioning in humans.

On a related note, a philosophical speculation I have read about is what kind of a universe would we have perceived, if we had not developed eyesight as a species. A corollary to that is how do we know we haven’t developed other senses that could have changed our perception of the universe from what it is now. In other words, do we really know reality? If I remember correctly this may have come from Steven Hawking. I guess we are doomed to live within our illusions. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by desi aunty Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Kris wrote:

On a related note, a philosophical speculation I have read about is what kind of a universe would we have perceived, if we had not developed eyesight as a species. A corollary to that is how do we know we haven’t developed other senses that could have changed our perception of the universe from what it is now. In other words, do we really know reality? If I remember correctly this may have come from Steven Hawking. I guess we are doomed to live within our illusions. Smile

i vaguely remember a short story we had in our high school curriculum. In it, a pilot lands in some off-the-maps-behind-the-mountains village that was full of only blind people. At first he thought of impressing upon them how they have a handicap, and he has something they don't. But soon he finds himself as a handicap when he tries to settle in with them, since they worked in the nights only coz it was cooler, and their other senses were much sharper than his, and also the way they had set up the village which didn't need eye sight.

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Wow, that is a positive twist in the pilot story. In one of the college papers my son wrote on the effects of colonialism, he asked me for some ideas. I pointed out that India had turned the thing around by re-purposing English and the British legacy to become a rising power. The prof, a very left leaning type, didn’t like it and suggested that re write it.

P.S. I like the pilot story’s underlying subtext. Left to themselves, people will optimize - a refreshing change from the current zeitgeist of perceived victimhood at the drop of a hat.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Kris wrote:

According to Indian philosophy, the five senses (including the corresponding sensory organs) relate directly to five basic elements of Samkhya (philosophy), implying that there is one-to-one relationship between the five constituents of material world and five senses (viz. five sensory organs):
(1) light (or fire) with sight (eyes),
(2) water with taste (tongue),
(3) air with touch (skin),
(4) earth with smell (nose),
(5) ether (or space) with hearing (ears).

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down