Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu)

2 posters

Go down

H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu) Empty H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu)

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:56 pm

In its quiet, unobtrusive way, the Kanchi Math truly symbolises the spirit of Hinduism—a way of life more tolerant, philosophical and non-didactic than any other religion in the world. Located in the heart of Kanchipuram, the Kanchi Math, the seat of the Shankaracharyas for 2,500 years, is so nondescript that you could actually miss it. On one wall of the math is a faded film poster of actor Rajnikanth. As you step out of the car, the first thing you see is not the math to the left but a huge hulking white mosque looming in front. Even non-Hindus would find it offensive. In the huge expanse of the Indian countryside, is there a shortage of real estate that a mosque must be built abutting one of the holiest seats of Hinduism? Clearly, it was built as a symbol of dominance by the Nawab of Arcot a few centuries ago, a time when the Shankaracharyas had to flee Kanchipuram.

His Holiness Swami Jayendra Saraswati, the 69th Shankaracharya, is a simple man with childlike innocence and candour. Like the Dalai Lama, he smiles and laughs easily, connecting with people spontaneously. I can't resist asking him about the disturbing presence of the adjoining mosque. He laughed and replied: "Of course not, I don't find the mosque offensive. It's not a symbol of division. It is a symbol of Hindu-Muslim unity. It shows we can and must coexist peacefully. If there is love in our hearts, it doesn't matter how close the mosque is to the temple, there will be peace. If there is enmity, it doesn't matter how far the mosque is from the temple, there will be strife." But doesn't he find the muezzin and namaaz five times a day an invasion, a disturbance? He replied: "No, not at all. We do our prayers and rituals at our time, they do theirs at their time. God is not deaf, dumb or blind. The almighty watches and listens at all times. So what does it matter?"

The mosque is allegedly built over a Hindu temple. Many years ago, there was a campaign to tear it down. But the 68th pontiff, Jayendra Saraswati's predecessor, the late Chandrasekharendra Saraswati, a venerated Hindu philosopher, put his foot down. The movement withered away and so today, math and mosque coexist peacefully. Surely, nothing can epitomise the spirit of Hindu tolerance more than the attitude of the Kanchi Shankaracharyas. India is a secular, democratic country only because of this Hindu ethos. Hinduism assimilates, coopts, unites. Hindutva rejects, alienates, divides. Therein lies the difference.

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?213819

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu) Empty Andhra Pradesh: H-M synthesis in Kadapa

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:57 pm

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2010-03-17/hyderabad/28116165_1_tirumala-temple-offer-prayers-lord-venkateswara

Back to top Go down

H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu) Empty Re: H-M synthesis: Kanchi (Tamil Nadu)

Post by MulaiAzhagi Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm

The mosque is allegedly built over a Hindu temple.

===> You do not have to tear the mosque down.

All I want is that particluar fact be taught in every High School history class in the country or at least in SI.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:52 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:The mosque is allegedly built over a Hindu temple.

===> You do not have to tear the mosque down.

All I want is that particluar fact be taught in every High School history class in the country or at least in SI.

--> notice the word 'allegedly'. Unless there is definite proof, why should it be taught to young school children? It would only confuse them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:34 pm

When the Sankaracharya of the Kanchi Mutt, Jayendra Saraswati, visited Amir Mahal, he said that it was the first Muslim house that he had visited. He made the visit to acknowledge the contribution of the nawabs of the Carnatic to Hindu temples. They had gifted vast lands — Srirangam’s “Nawab garden” and the temple tank of Sri Kapaleeswarar temple in Chennai are just two examples.

http://expressbuzz.com/topic/king-of-the-city/257389.html

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Is this synthesis going to be completed anytime soon? When can we expect to see the final product, a consistently uniform mixture of equal parts of H and M?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 pm

charvaka wrote:Is this synthesis going to be completed anytime soon? When can we expect to see the final product, a consistently uniform mixture of equal parts of H and M?

The synthesis would have been completed by now but for the arrival of the British who after 1857 implemented the Divide and Rule policy. An example of the synthesis is the sufis who sing in praise of Hindu gods. Hindus and muslims flock to mazhaars of sufi saints to offer prayers and respects.

An important reason for the synthesis, in my opinion, is the absorptive capacity of Hinduism.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:Is this synthesis going to be completed anytime soon? When can we expect to see the final product, a consistently uniform mixture of equal parts of H and M?

The synthesis would have been completed by now but for the arrival of the British who after 1857 implemented the Divide and Rule policy. An example of the synthesis is the sufis who sing in praise of Hindu gods. Hindus and muslims flock to mazhaars of sufi saints to offer prayers and respects.

An important reason for the synthesis, in my opinion, is the absorptive capacity of Hinduism.
May I posit that the synthesis has already been completed? It began with HiMu, and it is now completed thanks to Hindustan Motors, the manufacturer of the ubiquitous Ambassador car. Please post pictures of the said car in government service as final proof of the synthesis accomplished. Thanks.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

May I posit that the synthesis has already been completed? It began with HiMu, and it is now completed thanks to Hindustan Motors, the manufacturer of the ubiquitous Ambassador car. Please post pictures of the said car in government service as final proof of the synthesis accomplished. Thanks.

After years and years of online debating, the natural tendency is to veer towards intellectual maturity. May i posit that your regression towards intellectual immaturity is because of the company you are keeping? The company of people who insist on using the purported real names of people they are in disagreement with--in online debates-- again and again.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:May i posit that ...
Yes, you may, and it wouldn't even the craziest thing you have posited today!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:May i posit that ...
Yes, you may, and it wouldn't even the craziest thing you have posited today!

--> Whatever i have done is not half as crazy as what you have done. After years and years of praising my views on Sulekha CH you suddenly developed a dislike for me based on some pass time posts i made on Diggy Raja. All my posts on Indian philosophy and history, which you praised in the past with words like 'Great post', 'Thanks', 'Thanks for the explanation', etc. counted for nothing and you proceeded to coin the phrase 'Rashmun Method' which you disparaged and kept referring to again and again in post after post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down