Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi

2 posters

Go down

My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi Empty My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi

Post by desi aunty Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:26 pm

while doing some 2022 bingo, i though hard and deep, and realized i didn't read a single book in all of 2022, usually i read ATLEAST one book in a year. i did buy books, but didn't read any. 

so to mend that situation, picked up the last book i bought, by Indra Nooyi. I am only 10 pages in so far, but it's a delight reading her description of her childhood home and family life. 

My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi 9780349426129-us

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi Empty Re: My Life in Full - Indra Nooyi

Post by Kris Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:53 am

I am not able to read more than a few pages these days. Digital Media has drastically shortened my attention span. Enjoy the book.
P. S. I went to elementary school ( the first 3 grades) at the same place she did her high schooling. I am famous - Yay!
I stayed at a hotel very close to it a few weeks ago on an India trip. I wanted to take pics of my elementary school, but the Security Guard said “ Sir, no photos!”
Have a great week

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by desi aunty Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:25 pm

a good read for sure. I didn't know too much about her, so it was an interesting revelation. 

Also, i discovered painfully that my neck now hurts when reading a book. 

Must be my season of memoirs, coz right when i was in the last 50 pages of hers, i heard about Prince Harry's book, 'The Spare', so fast-read last 20-30 pages of this (skipping through paras as she was mostly discussing future plans and stuff), and i got this one. A digital version this time that I read on my laptop. 

Man what an unexpected explosion that book is. While Nooyi’s was highly guarded, she even glossed through some stuff, this one went all out. Many things I couldn’t believe he actually wrote. Also it took me like 4-5 days to page down 470 pages of that book, coz every incidence would prompt me to search on google or YouTube to find a post or video of what he’s talking about. Kids have always mocked me for my obsession with Princes Diana, but to be fair they claim entire India is obsessed. 

And now that I have finished the book I am trying to process it, and watching his interviews. I know, what a waste of time, when I have certain home projects to finish by next Friday, sigh.

desi aunty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:51 am

I think the royals appeal to Brits like movie stars appeal to Indians. On my first trip to London, I took one of the day tours and the bus driver was trying a little too hard to point out that they attract tourism. This puzzled me initially until I realized this was directed at certain American sentiments. This was before a lot of the royal dirty linen was aired in public.  Anyway, I have lost track of developments in Britain, except for the economic turmoil.

On autobiographies/ biographies, I  am a little leery of them. Usually, they turn out to be hagiographies which do tend to gloss over details, with the result that the reader comes away with a sense of super-humanhood. I don’t know if you have read Malcolm Gladwell’s ‘Outliers’ where he deconstructs
high achievers. I don’t fully agree with him since many of these people do contribute to their success. At the same time, there are certain advantages they have which cant be denied.

Sorry to go off this boring tangent. Glad to know you have a consuming interest. Mine is pretty much limited to Wordle now which I must do in nine minutes. Smile
Good night!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down