Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rajiv Gandhi Vs P.V. Narasimha Rao

2 posters

Go down

Rajiv Gandhi Vs P.V. Narasimha Rao Empty Rajiv Gandhi Vs P.V. Narasimha Rao

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Isn't this the problem with Indian politics? Too much credit is given to age and experience while someone who is younger and more dynamic, more efficient is ignored...

Let me share my experience with you. Please don't take this in any other way, and don't give a political colour to it, it's of no use.

I am saying this as a student. We should compare any two prime ministers, and here I will take the names of two Congress prime ministers. Rajiv Gandhi and P V Narasimha Rao.

Rajiv Gandhi was young and dynamic, had foreign exposure, he had everything, was good-looking, charismatic. Narasimha Rao had retired completely from public life, but had to suddenly return to active politics. Healthwise, and looks-wise, he was different.

But who ran the government better for five years? Who provided India a better leadership? If you think about it, Narasimha Rao's government was connected to the masses, and the nation benefited.

One simple reason: India is such a large nation, with so many languages, and only someone who has been around for a long time can solve its problems. So in this case, he was successful.

If you look at India's political history, too, only such people have succeeded.

http://specials.rediff.com/election/2009/apr/20slide5-part-two-of-interview-with-narendra-modi.htm

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Rajiv Gandhi Vs P.V. Narasimha Rao Empty Re: Rajiv Gandhi Vs P.V. Narasimha Rao

Post by charvaka Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:12 am

The bigger factor is dynastic politics. Rajiv Gandhi became prime minister simply because his mother was PM and she anointed him as her political heir. PVNR became PM because of his own personal political acumen and a long career in politics. While Rajiv surrounded himself with yes men who were young and inexperienced but were loyal to him, Narasimha Rao did not have that luxury. He instead had to deal with people almost as powerful as him on his cabinet, so he had to govern by building consensus. The difference in the results from their terms is a result of those differences, not just their ages at the time of rise to the PM's office.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down