Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The right to roam

4 posters

Go down

The right to roam Empty The right to roam

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p0FC-HPv8ds

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

The right to roam Empty Re: The right to roam

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:59 pm

===> Some of the Roma women shown on the documentary are so good looking. Even better than Aishwarya Rai. May be bollywood can import these women.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> Some of the Roma women shown on the documentary are so good looking. Even better than Aishwarya Rai. May be bollywood can import these women.

Saw only the first 2 min of the video. read about the history of the Roma/gypsies. Very interesting. Their language is unique and picks up on all the languages that their ancesters picked up wherever they moved around.

Their history and trail stops cold in the 12th century....in Punjab.

So they are sure to have our genes - to a considerable extent.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:24 am

Flamenco
There are many striking similarities between Kathak and Flamenco, a southern Spanish song and dance style that received much influence from the local gypsies, most notably in the lack of much deviation from the vertical axis, percussive footwork, and dependence on (sometimes complex) rhythmic cycles.

It is generally supposed that the Romani people emigrated from India sometime in the 11th century. One group entered Spain via Eastern Europe, having first passed westward through Iran (then Persia) and the fringes of the Ottoman Empire. In these places, they encountered the very same influences that were to later arrive in India through the Mughal incursions and have such an impact on Kathak. Thus, Flamenco and Kathak received the similar stylistic influences in two very different circumstances: The itinerant Romanis carried their Indian art forms' traditions with them and absorbed new influences as they traveled, while Kathak stayed rooted in India and received the same input as a result of those influences (Persian and aspects of Middle Eastern dance) being imported by a new regime. The similarity of Kathak and Flamenco is therefore explained by the same process — the grafting and mixing of Persian and Middle Eastern dance elements on to an Indian base — working in two ways.

Now the two traditions have had some seven or eight centuries in which to diverge; yet it is remarkable that the similarities between the two remain such that there have been many successful collaborative performances between Kathak and flamenco dancers (notably Sandra La Espuelita) without much need to dilute either style to accommodate the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathak

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> Some of the Roma women shown on the documentary are so good looking. Even better than Aishwarya Rai. May be bollywood can import these women.

there was a National Geographic magazine issue (maybe 10 years ago-I have the issue) on Roma Gypsies which goes into a lot of detail about their migration from Indian and their culture. Let me see if they have an online cache.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:06 am

doofus_maximus wrote:

there was a National Geographic magazine issue (maybe 10 years ago-I have the issue) on Roma Gypsies which goes into a lot of detail about their migration from Indian and their culture. Let me see if they have an online cache.

found it
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:34 am

Interesting reads- Sara and DM..

I was always fascinated by Gypsies and Nomads..used to stop by and talk to Kuravars in Vellore and Chennai..some people thought that was weird! Nope, they did not do anything bad or kidnap me! Were always nice..even now, if I see them..will go by..and talk to them. Even wrote a simple blog about them (think it was among the earliest ones I posted in Sulekha- 2002/03?) called "Gypsy lives and Lufthansa lounges"..

Speaking of airports..was in your neck of the woods over the weekend DM..that Wayne County terminal A...was rushing and did not know there was a train..have mercy..had to run can across a zillion gates in high heels..somehow made it! Never a dull moment:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:06 pm

If anyone is interested in the Narikuravar Nomads..the video provides some info.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down