Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship

4 posters

Go down

Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship Empty Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Great! I always liked to watch Kabaddi..thought the men were cool..did not know Indian women were so good. Interesting to know that Kabaddi is a popular National game and Iranian women actively participate..but, glad we beat them!

http://whadu.com/?q=indian+women+win+kabadi+championship
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship Empty Re: Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Is Kabaddi a Tamil, Hindi or Sanskrit word?

Is it Narth India or South Indian? Did Akbar and his concubines play Kabaddi in their spare time?

Questions.. questions.

Oh.. Congrats India women.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship Empty Re: Indian women win first Kabaddi World Cup championship

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Is Kabaddi a Tamil, Hindi or Sanskrit word?

Is it Narth India or South Indian? Did Akbar and his concubines play Kabaddi in their spare time?

Questions.. questions.

Oh.. Congrats India women.

1.doffus
An idiot.

A klutz.
Oh man - I'm such a doffus, I just cut my leg off.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=doffus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 pm

DM,

As you know..Tamilians are very much into Kabaddi and sometimes call it "Sadu Gudu"..

I liked the small budget movie "Vennila Kabaddi Kuzhu"..

Speaking of low key- wonder why the Indian media is not making a bigger deal of this..they talk so much about other sports and hype them!

Last edited by Maria S on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:07 pm

You betrayed me Rashmun.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:You betrayed me Rashmun.

Did I, Doffus?

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Maria S wrote:

DM,

As you know..Tamilians are very much into Kabaddi and sometimes call it "Sadu Gudu"..

I liked the small budget movie "Vennila Kabaddi Kuzhu"..

Speaking of low key- wonder why the Indian media is not making a bigger deal of this..they talk so much about other sports and hype it!

VKK was moderately entertaining. New movie Aravaan is getting rave reviews.
Indian media doesn't care about kabaddi. Hopefully the buzz in social media translates to real coverage in MSM.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:

Did I, Doffus?

I thought you invented a clever moniker based on my nickname. But upon perusing the UD link that you supplied, I felt betrayed.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Did I, Doffus?

I thought you invented a clever moniker based on my nickname. But upon perusing the UD link that you supplied, I felt betrayed.

I am very sorry to hear that.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Before Maria kicks me out of this thread. I am off.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Oh..No! Not a Kabaddi game between Rashmun and DM Smile !

Yes, I'll certainly take on the referee role..show no mercy and try to put you all out:)

Seriously, Kabaddi is not an "elite" sport..and apparently a "native Indian sport"..so I guess Indians are not so "into" it..imported sometimes is more glamorous and appealing!

Thanks D..Will try to look into Aravaan!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Maria S wrote:Oh..No! Not a Kabaddi game between Rashmun and DM Smile !

Yes, I'll certainly take on the referee role..show no mercy and try to put you all out:)

Seriously, Kabaddi is not an "elite" sport..and apparently a "native Indian sport"..so I guess Indians are not so "into" it..imported sometimes is more glamorous and appealing!

Thanks D..Will try to look into Aravaan!

What about Gulli danda?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Rashmun,

We used to call it Gilli or Gilli Danda (assuming it's the same).

From what I have seen Gilli is more for children and young adults..while Kabaddi is for young adults and adults. Kabaddi is a very physical sport..with no injuring the opponent (unlike wrestling, US Football).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:00 pm

Maria,

I was just about to respond to your post. You deleted it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, I did.

Did not find what I posted that amusing myself, the second time I read it.

I am happy they won.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:27 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Did I, Doffus?

LOL.

Maria, we call it cheDu-guDu in Telugu. Sounds a lot like saDu-guDu in Tamil.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Really? Thanks C!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Maria S wrote:Really? Thanks C!

Gilli-Danda (Urdu: گلی ڈنڈا, Devanagari: गिल्ली डण्डा) is an amateur sport played in the rural areas and small towns all over the Indian subcontinent, as well as Cambodia.
Gilli Danda known by various other names: it is called Dandi-Biyo (डण्डी बियो) in Nepali, alak-doulak (الک دولک) in Persian, dānggűli in Bengali & Assamese, chinni-dandu in Kannada, kuttiyum kolum in Malayalam, viti-dandu विट्टी दांडू in Marathi, kitti-pullu in Tamil, Gooti-Billa or Karra-Billa or Billam-Godu in Telugu, Gulli-Danda (گلی ڈنڈا ) in Urdu, Iti-Dakar (اٽي ڏڪر) in Sindhi, Lappa-Duggi (لپا ڈگی ) in Pashto and Kon ko in khmer, the Cambodian language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilli-danda

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Hmm.."Kitti Pullu"..

Interesting to see countries like Cambodia, Iran..play the same sports..and women participate in them as well!

Mikka Nandri- Thiru Rashmun Avargale Smile!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:49 pm

[quote="Maria S"]Hmm.."Kitti Pullu"..

Interesting to see countries like Cambodia, Iran..play the same sports..and women participate in them as well!

Mikka Nandri- Thiru Rashmun Avargale Smile![/quote

Gilli danda in Tamil Nadu (or is it Karnataka?):

Gilli danda in Pakistan:

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Nice Rashmun!

I have not seen Adult Men play Gilli!

Nice to see how people improvise in any place they may be..without any fancy gymnasiums, parks..or spending money! I miss that aspect of living in India, when one is having a bad time..watching ordinary folks- children and adults playing simple games and sports in the street..kind of gives one some perspective! Even a fortune teller with a parrot..is funny:)

Meendum Nandri Rashmun.

Ellorukkum - Iravu vanakkam.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

Kabbadi kabbadi is played in two groups ..another name for it is hu tu tu isnt it ?

you have to repeat the word"kabbadi kabbadi " in one breath whilst iactros to opp camp and touching one of them then running back as fast as u can

thats a win

meanwhie opposite camp doesnt let u reach back home but corners u

sure its rough play and close encounters

must be some awfully strong women LOL
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down