Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012

4 posters

Go down

Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012 Empty Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 am

I have been busy with work, so this is later than the usual time.

1. In 49 of the 50 states, the Democratic party is known by that name. But in one state, it is known as the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, because the state’s Farmer-Labor party merged with the Democratic party in 1944. Walter Mondale, who unsuccessfully challenged Reagan for the White House, belonged to the DFL party. What state is this?

2. One of the most important battles in history was fought in this little town on a Sunday in June. Among the belligerents were the United Kingdom, France, Prussia, and the Netherlands. Although the battle has become known in popular culture as shorthand for a final and decisive loss, it was in reality a close affair. The commander of the winning side said that it was “the nearest-run thing you ever saw in your life.” Name the battle and the country it occurred in. Bonus points for naming the man who led the winning side.

3. This term was coined by The Daily Mail as a derogatory reference to a group of political activists, but it was eventually reclaimed and adopted proudly by those very activists. Common tactics used by the protestors included chaining themselves to railings, setting mailbox contents on fire, smashing windows, and going on hunger strikes while in prison. At the height of the movement, one of the protestors was accidentally trampled to death by the King’s horse at the Derby. Name this group of protestors who eventually brought change in much of the world.

4. The Sanskrit term for Greek is yavaNa. In Arabic, Turkish, Hebrew and Farsi, the term is yunAni. These terms are based on a Greek word from classical times that describes a region of the Mediterranean coast of modern Turkey. The biggest contribution of this region to world history was a school of philosophy whose members argued about which of the four classical elements (earth, water, fire and air) the world originated from. Name this region of classical Greece.

5. The European name for this island which straddles the Tropic of Cancer translates to “beautiful.” The island changed hands at the Treaty of Shimonoseki in 1895, and 50 years later it attained de facto independence. Its de jure status, however, is unclear. The current name of the island was originally the name of a small coastal islet on which the Dutch East India Company established a commercial post. Linguists have proposed this island as the starting point of the Malayo-Polynesian migrations that eventually reached Malaya in the west, Hawaii in the north, New Zealand in the south and the Easter Island in the east. Name this island.

6. What does the following quote describe? “This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings. We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.”

7. One of the seven wonders of the ancient world was dedicated to the Greek goddess of wild animals and virginity. Her Roman name is Diana. The temple was located in the ancient city of Ephesus, and the ruins now lie within the city of Selcuk in modern Turkey. At Ephesus, the goddess was worshiped as a mother goddess and a fertility symbol. Name the goddess and her wondrous temple.

8. The epic Battle of Kurukshetra occupies the middle third of the Mahabharata. In the book, the setup of the battle and key events are narrated by a character who is neither central to the story nor is present in Kurukshetra at the time of the battle. Who is this character, and why is he narrating the events of the battle?

9. In southern Indian languages, the name of this ancient city-state means “town” or “village.” It was a coastal city in its heyday, but the site is now located well inland. The city is famous for a structure (illustration below) that was originally built in the 21st century BCE, excavated by archaeologists in the 20th century CE.
Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012 Pic10
Some scholars suggest that this city is the birthplace of the biblical patriarch Abraham. Name this ancient city and the monument depicted in the picture.

10. It lies immediately south of the great watershed that separates the Eurasian plate from the Indian subcontinent. Outside of the two poles, it is the most extensively glaciated region on earth, with annual average snowfall greater than 30 feet and the second longest non-polar glacier. In the local language, its name means “abundance of roses.” Name it.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012 Empty Re: Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012

Post by Kris Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am

charvaka wrote:I have been busy with work, so this is later than the usual time.

1. In 49 of the 50 states, the Democratic party is known by that name. But in one state, it is known as the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, because the state’s Farmer-Labor party merged with the Democratic party in 1944. Walter Mondale, who unsuccessfully challenged Reagan for the White House, belonged to the DFL party. What state is this?

>>>>Minnesota

2. One of the most important battles in history was fought in this little town on a Sunday in June. Among the belligerents were the United Kingdom, France, Prussia, and the Netherlands. Although the battle has become known in popular culture as shorthand for a final and decisive loss, it was in reality a close affair. The commander of the winning side said that it was “the nearest-run thing you ever saw in your life.” Name the battle and the country it occurred in. Bonus points for naming the man who led the winning side.

>>>Waterloo, France?, The Duke of Wellington

3. This term was coined by The Daily Mail as a derogatory reference to a group of political activists, but it was eventually reclaimed and adopted proudly by those very activists. Common tactics used by the protestors included chaining themselves to railings, setting mailbox contents on fire, smashing windows, and going on hunger strikes while in prison. At the height of the movement, one of the protestors was accidentally trampled to death by the King’s horse at the Derby. Name this group of protestors who eventually brought change in much of the world.

>>>young Turks

4. The Sanskrit term for Greek is yavaNa. In Arabic, Turkish, Hebrew and Farsi, the term is yunAni. These terms are based on a Greek word from classical times that describes a region of the Mediterranean coast of modern Turkey. The biggest contribution of this region to world history was a school of philosophy whose members argued about which of the four classical elements (earth, water, fire and air) the world originated from. Name this region of classical Greece.

>>>Ionia

5. The European name for this island which straddles the Tropic of Cancer translates to “beautiful.” The island changed hands at the Treaty of Shimonoseki in 1895, and 50 years later it attained de facto independence. Its de jure status, however, is unclear. The current name of the island was originally the name of a small coastal islet on which the Dutch East India Company established a commercial post. Linguists have proposed this island as the starting point of the Malayo-Polynesian migrations that eventually reached Malaya in the west, Hawaii in the north, New Zealand in the south and the Easter Island in the east. Name this island.

>>>Taiwan

6. What does the following quote describe? “This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings. We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.”

>>>Time capsule sent into space

7. One of the seven wonders of the ancient world was dedicated to the Greek goddess of wild animals and virginity. Her Roman name is Diana. The temple was located in the ancient city of Ephesus, and the ruins now lie within the city of Selcuk in modern Turkey. At Ephesus, the goddess was worshiped as a mother goddess and a fertility symbol. Name the goddess and her wondrous temple.

>>>The Temple of Artemis

8. The epic Battle of Kurukshetra occupies the middle third of the Mahabharata. In the book, the setup of the battle and key events are narrated by a character who is neither central to the story nor is present in Kurukshetra at the time of the battle. Who is this character, and why is he narrating the events of the battle?

>>>Sanjaya, he is narrating the events to Dhridashtra who is blind

9. In southern Indian languages, the name of this ancient city-state means “town” or “village.” It was a coastal city in its heyday, but the site is now located well inland. The city is famous for a structure (illustration below) that was originally built in the 21st century BCE, excavated by archaeologists in the 20th century CE.
Some scholars suggest that this city is the birthplace of the biblical patriarch Abraham. Name this ancient city and the monument depicted in the picture.

10. It lies immediately south of the great watershed that separates the Eurasian plate from the Indian subcontinent. Outside of the two poles, it is the most extensively glaciated region on earth, with annual average snowfall greater than 30 feet and the second longest non-polar glacier. In the local language, its name means “abundance of roses.” Name it.

>>>Gilgit?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:02 am

charvaka wrote:

Battle of Waterloo

Unani

Taiwan

The various items recorded on the voyager disc for the "aliens".

Siachen glacier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:03 am

>>>>City is Ur. Structure is Ziggurat. Realized this was not in india when I re-read the clue about Abraham.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 am

#5. Tahiti?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 am

For # 8 some people have answered - Sanjaya.

But Sanjaya was vey much there on the battlefield (I don't know if he fought, but he did wash blood on his body). Please see the excerpt below (from Kesari Mohan Ganguli's English translation of Vyasa mahabharata) from Salya Parva (chapter 29) after Sakuni gets killed by Sahadeva ("me" in the description is Sanjaya talking). The link is at the bottom of the excerpt.

Salya Parva – Chapter 29 (where Sakuni gets killed, scroll about half page)

Dhrishtadyumna, seeing me, laughingly addressed Satyaki, saying, 'What is the use of seizing this one? Nothing will be gained by keeping him alive.' Hearing these words of Dhrishtadyumna, the grandson of Sini, that great car-warrior, uplifting his sharp sword, prepared to slay me. Just at that juncture, the Island-born Krishna of great wisdom (Vyasa), coming there, said, "Let Sanjaya be dismissed alive! By no means should he be slain!" Hearing these words of the Island-born, the grandson of Sini, joined his hands, and then, setting me free said unto me, "Peace to thee, O Sanjaya, thou mayest go hence!" Permitted by him, I myself then, putting off my armour and making over my weapons, set out on the evening on the road leading to the city, my limbs bathed in blood. After I had come about two miles, O monarch, I beheld Duryodhana, standing alone, mace in hand, and exceedingly mangled…….

http://www.mahabharataonline.com/translation/mahabharata_09029.php

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

You totally cracked this one, Kris.

Kris wrote:1. Minnesota
Correct.

Kris wrote:2. Waterloo, France?, The Duke of Wellington
Waterloo is correct, and so is Duke of Wellington. But the country is not France.

Kris wrote:3. young Turks
No.

Kris wrote:4. Ionia
Correct.

Kris wrote:5. Taiwan
Correct.

Kris wrote:6. Time capsule sent into space
Almost... see BW's answer.

Kris wrote:7. The Temple of Artemis
Correct.

Kris wrote:8. Sanjaya, he is narrating the events to Dhridashtra who is blind
Yes, this is the answer I was looking for. But it looks like my question was partially incorrect. Will respond to Indo about that.

Kris wrote:10. Gilgit?
Close, but not quite the place I was thinking of.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 pm

blabberwock wrote:2. Battle of Waterloo
Correct. Kris named the leader of the winning side, the Duke of Wellington. Which country is Waterloo situated in?

blabberwock wrote:4. Unani
No, the Greek word is Ionian.

blabberwock wrote:5. Taiwan
Correct.

blabberwock wrote:6. The various items recorded on the voyager disc for the "aliens".
Correct.

blabberwock wrote:10. Siachen glacier
Correct.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Kris wrote:9. City is Ur. Structure is Ziggurat. Realized this was not in india when I re-read the clue about Abraham.
Correct!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm

indophile wrote:#5. Tahiti?
No, it is Taiwan. Linguists say that the Malayo-Polynesian family of languages originated in Taiwan, and that the variants of that family within Taiwan have more differences amongst themselves than do their sister languages anywhere between Malaysa and Easter Island.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm

indophile wrote:For # 8 some people have answered - Sanjaya.

But Sanjaya was vey much there on the battlefield (I don't know if he fought, but he did wash blood on his body). Please see the excerpt below (from Kesari Mohan Ganguli's English translation of Vyasa mahabharata) from Salya Parva (chapter 29) after Sakuni gets killed by Sahadeva ("me" in the description is Sanjaya talking). The link is at the bottom of the excerpt.

Salya Parva – Chapter 29 (where Sakuni gets killed, scroll about half page)

Dhrishtadyumna, seeing me, laughingly addressed Satyaki, saying, 'What is the use of seizing this one? Nothing will be gained by keeping him alive.' Hearing these words of Dhrishtadyumna, the grandson of Sini, that great car-warrior, uplifting his sharp sword, prepared to slay me. Just at that juncture, the Island-born Krishna of great wisdom (Vyasa), coming there, said, "Let Sanjaya be dismissed alive! By no means should he be slain!" Hearing these words of the Island-born, the grandson of Sini, joined his hands, and then, setting me free said unto me, "Peace to thee, O Sanjaya, thou mayest go hence!" Permitted by him, I myself then, putting off my armour and making over my weapons, set out on the evening on the road leading to the city, my limbs bathed in blood. After I had come about two miles, O monarch, I beheld Duryodhana, standing alone, mace in hand, and exceedingly mangled…….

http://www.mahabharataonline.com/translation/mahabharata_09029.php
Thanks for the reference. Looks like my impression was wrong. According to what I remember reading many years ago in Telugu, dhRtarAshTra and sanjaya are both in hastinApuram while the battle takes place in kurukshetram, and sanjaya narrates the battle to his king using the divya dRshTi that vyAsa gives him for that very purpose. But it sounds like he was actually on the battlefield. So is dhRtarAshTra also near the battlefield, or does he hear about the whole 18-day battle after it has finished, not in live radio commentary?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012 Empty Wednesday Trivia #16: Mar 7, 2012 -- update with hints

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 pm

One question and part of another remain.

Hint: The Battle of Waterloo, won by the UK and its allies under the leadership of the Duke of Wellington. Which country is Waterloo located in? As an additional hint, French is one of its three official languages.

Hint: Today is a particularly relevant day for the cause that these protestors fought for. As an additional hint, their cause was first achieved in New Zealand, but it has not yet been achieved in some parts of the world.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:37 pm

(2) Belgium?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:58 pm

Kris wrote:(2) Belgium?
Correct.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am

charvaka wrote:

Hint: Today is a particularly relevant day for the cause that these protestors fought for. As an additional hint, their cause was first achieved in New Zealand, but it has not yet been achieved in some parts of the world.

I guess the cause is voting rights for women since NZ achieved that first, if I recall right.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:24 am

blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:

I guess the cause is voting rights for women since NZ achieved that first, if I recall right.
Correct. What was the derogatory term that was eventually adopted by the protesters themselves?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:33 am

charvaka wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Correct. What was the derogatory term that was eventually adopted by the protesters themselves?

No idea. I would have posted it if I knew it! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:56 am

The only question remaining is a part of #3. What was the term used to referred to women who protested for the right to vote in the early part of the 20th century in the United Kingdom and the United States? Hint: the term was coined by The Daily Mail based on the objective of the protestors.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:10 am

charvaka wrote:The only question remaining is a part of #3. What was the term used to referred to women who protested for the right to vote in the early part of the 20th century in the United Kingdom and the United States? Hint: the term was coined by The Daily Mail based on the objective of the protestors.

suffragette
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:56 am

artood2 wrote:
charvaka wrote:The only question remaining is a part of #3. What was the term used to referred to women who protested for the right to vote in the early part of the 20th century in the United Kingdom and the United States? Hint: the term was coined by The Daily Mail based on the objective of the protestors.

suffragette
yes.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 am

[quote="charvaka] According to what I remember reading many years ago in Telugu, dhRtarAshTra and sanjaya are both in hastinApuram while the battle takes place in kurukshetram, and sanjaya narrates the battle to his king using the divya dRshTi that vyAsa gives him for that very purpose. But it sounds like he was actually on the battlefield. So is dhRtarAshTra also near the battlefield, or does he hear about the whole 18-day battle after it has finished, not in live radio commentary?[/quote]

That's how they showed it in Hindi Mahabharata TV series too. If Telugu Mahabharata's Udyoga-Bhishma-Salya paravas are available on the net (i.e., Tikkana's), this little fact can be checked. Even Ganguli's English translation has some of his own creativity - not 100% Vyasa per say. The whole Mahabharata in Sanskrit is available on the net, but it's a bear to check one little obscure fact like this (konDani tavvi elukani paTTuTa).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Here are the answers.

Answer: Minnesota

Answer: Waterloo, Belgium. The Duke of Wellington led the British side to victory against Napoleon.

Answer: Suffragette

Answer: Ionia

Answer: Taiwan

Answer: The Voyager disc that Carl Sagan and others put together.

Answer: The Temple of Artemis, also known as the Artemision. A couple of pillars claimed to belong to the old temple still survive in Selcuk. From that spot today you can see a Byzantine fort, a Seljuk mosque and an Ottoman mosque -- over two millennia of history in stone.

Answer: Sanjaya who narrates the events to the blind king. However, the question seems to be incorrect, as Sanjaya was in Kurukshetra at the time.

Answer: The Great Ziggurat in the city of Ur. I don't know if the southern Indian word ur (as in Guntur, Nellore, Coimbattore, Mysuru, etc.) has anything to do with the name of this city.

Answer: Siachen glacier
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:44 am

city of Ur. I don't know if the southern Indian word ur (as in
Guntur, Nellore, Coimbattore, Mysuru, etc.) has anything to do with the
name of this city.

>>>There could be some root word connection from some proto-dravidian tongue(s). The indus valley civilizations were dravidian I think and this neighborhood was not that far off, as suggested by inter-trade.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down