Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TGIF photu URL submission

+2
Another Brick
Bittu
6 posters

Go down

TGIF photu URL submission Empty TGIF photu URL submission

Post by Bittu Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 am

Holi 2012. Try to watch in 1280px if you have a monitor that can support the larger size.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/03/the-colors-of-holi-2012/100259/

Bittu

Back to top Go down

TGIF photu URL submission Empty Re: TGIF photu URL submission

Post by Another Brick Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 am

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/03/japan_tsunami_pictures_before.html

japan one year after the tsunami. if india does 1% of that work equally efficiently, life would be infinitely better for the indians.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 am

http://lgbtpov.frontiersla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Obama-fist-bumps-janitor-.jpg

"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

~Rudyard Kipling
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

Another Brick wrote:http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/03/japan_tsunami_pictures_before.html

japan one year after the tsunami. if india does 1% of that work equally efficiently, life would be infinitely better for the indians.

Fantastic stuff. These Japs amaze me. In India, I do see pockets of improvement but yes, it's mostly still the same shyt. One shining jewel is the Metro rail system in Delhi and surrounding areas. I think all projects were completed in record time.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 am

Indeed the Japanese are amazing

that's because they speak with one voice .in one language

unlike we Indians... even here on chat or forum look at the antagonistic attitudes ..just thank ur lucky stars India functions

Period
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:30 am

One has to look at the entire pic with some perspective..sure, a lot more can be done/should have been done in India..but Japan and India are very different...geographically and economically very different, so are the challenges..not to mention the populations.

*Having said that..I don't know about the other parts of India..but, in TamilNadu..in most areas after the Tsunami..the recovery and rebuilding seems to be quite good..the Govt colloboration and people seemed to have done quite well.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:33 am

Interesting..Looks like Japan has at least looked into and giving a little credit to TamilNadu!

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20120129x1.html
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am

its not just the Tsunami its everything else too Maria

Tamil Nadu wants to break away from India ..at least that's what kayalvijhi and others would have us think

would the Japanese have even thought such wicked thoughts ?
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:06 am

TGIF photu URL submission 139426
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:17 am

Chameli,

While comparisons are always interesting and sometimes relevant (and even important), don't think we can always do that.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their views..I certainly have my share of criticism of any country/region..be it India or US- the two countries and TN as state/region I know a little about. I also would like to give some credit when things go well..and people/govt agencies and leaders do the best they can..and can't always generalize..In this case, I have seen the rebuilding efforts..and some credit has to be given for that.

As for Kayal..while I don't agree with everything..can somewhat see the frustrations and perspectives of Kayal perhaps based on personal exposure/experiences with people who have been displaced and have suffered a lot. I was so sad and disgusted see pics of the conditions in some camps in Srilanka and even dead bodies of young Srilankan tamil women still being mutilated (just in yesterday in Facebook)..No one who is humane can ignore that.

The Japanese..don't know enough..to analyze or stereotype them..but, am sure they are just as human and have their issues/problems as well (If you read the article..they seem to be complaining too).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by chameli Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 am

Maria ,

a lovely verse by Rudyard Kipling

I'm not a fan but this is so poetic and inspiring ...touches the soul
chameli
chameli

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:23 am

chameli wrote:
Tamil Nadu wants to break away from India ..at least that's what kayalvijhi and others would have us think

nobody else on this site says that. further, you can't break away from yourself. TN is the original india. others are johnny come lately.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am

chameli wrote:

unlike we Indians... even here on chat or forum look at the antagonistic attitudes ..just thank ur lucky stars India functions

Period

The most antagonistic person here is Vee. He hates all north indians (except maybe u), all telugus and anyone who doesn't hate north indians like he does. He also hates hindus and everything to do with hinduism. Kayal, i suspect, is a Srilankan tamilian and rightfully or wrongfully believes in an ideology. There's no such thing for Vee. His blanket hatred for a large section of Indians is psychotic. What do u say abt thatl?

PS: Wow@the Japanese

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks Chameli.I am not a fan of Kipling either..but like this poem "If" by him a lot!

I was just reading another article in Japan times (related to Mental Health)- and their stoic images, culture..written by an Indian (I assume!)

Mental health must match post-3/11 recovery

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/eo20120309a1.html

Excerpt:

"One year later, the tsunami survivors are still mourning their dead. Many are waiting to hear about their missing relatives. Thousands are still in temporary accommodations unsure when they will return to their homes. Despite all this, the survivors rarely speak out and, least of all, complain about their circumstances. To be seen needing help is a dent in one's self-respect and seeking it is akin to a betrayal of those who need it more.Even with such overarching altruism and valiant attempts to live up to the embodied values of stoicism, tsunami survivors, especially children, need help.

Regardless of a nation's advancement and resources, disasters affect everyone. The emotional impact of tsunami on survivors cannot be addressed by rapid reconstruction and physical recovery alone.The events of 3/11, however, have exposed a worrying neglect of emotional well-being in Japanese society, a sentiment echoed by mental health experts who fear that things could get worse.

For prided stoicism and economic realities, the pressure is intense on Japan and its tsunami survivors to resume business as normal."

On the other hard..in TN..the open expression of pain, loss, grief..they wail, cry with no shame or inhibitions..the catharsis is helpful and therapeutic in it's own way.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 am

Bittu wrote:Holi 2012. Try to watch in 1280px if you have a monitor that can support the larger size.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/03/the-colors-of-holi-2012/100259/

Awesome holi pics!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:48 am

Another Brick wrote:http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/03/japan_tsunami_pictures_before.html

amazing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

one reason why an indian does only 1% of the work a japanese person does in the same amount of time: the indian is 1/100th as well-equipped - with bulldozers, trucks, shovels, pumps, generators, etc. the japanese economy is far stronger; they worked, saved, invested in capital equipment, and with their capital wealth, were able to create even more output and wealth. this will happen in india also, so long as we embrace a laissez-faire economic system. it's not laziness that keeps indians from being as efficient as the japanese.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down